Toronto Eglinton Line 5 Crosstown West Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

You say that yet we can't even extend the Sheppard Line to Sheppard West to link up with Line 1 today.

Or Eglinton for that matter.

Sheppard is a suburban street, not comparable to Eglinton.

Clearly you've never travelled down Sheppard.

You seem to know a lot about people, don't you? I live on Sheppard next to Sheppard subway.

Eglinton is not any more dense than Sheppard is (As a matter of fact I'd argue that Sheppard has more density than Eglinton when you consider what's currently being built).

Most of the people living in those condos drive, especially if they are not commuting for work. I live close to Leslie station and if I have to visit Sheppard & Yonge, I drive instead of using the subway. No way I would do that if I was visiting Yonge & Eglinton from Leslie & Eglinton.

Sheppard is a 6 lane highway with ultra long left turn lanes at some places.

If you go west on Sheppard from Yonge, it is even more suburban after a few km.

Most of the people living in those condos drive, especially if they are not commuting for work. I live close to Leslie station and if I have to visit Sheppard & Yonge, I drive instead of using the subway. No way I would do that if I was visiting Yonge & Eglinton from Leslie & Eglinton.

Okay, let's analyze these points then.

Here are 5 other suburban streets/Roads with good, or decent transit:
1. Gerrard (A streetcar suburban street is still a suburban street)
2. Lawrence
3. Finch
4. Allen Road
5. Eglinton (Yes it's suburban along most of its length).

Streets are dynamic and vary significantly in design, geometry, and use based on what section you're on. Classifying them as "urban" or "Suburban" is pointless. What matters is how it's used, and how things can be improved for the masses.

Most of the people living on Eglinton (hell, even any street outside of downtown) drive to some extent. Your personal preference for where you'd choose to drive is based on your experiences and needs. When I was living at Leslie, I'd take the subway even if I was just going to Fairview mall, despite having a car. I know people that will drive down the street 500 meters while living downtown. I personally have had to take car trips to Yonge and Eglinton despite living just a short bus and subway ride away now.
This is a moot point.

So is Yonge Street in many areas, namely North York Centre, which has some of the highest ridership stations in the system.

The same can be said about Dundas Street (Line 2), University Ave (Line 1), Eglinton (Line 2, and Line 5, Scarborough/Etobicoke).
This is a moot point.
After a few Km you're at Sheppard West, which is where the line would end. It has always been, and will continue to be a very important station in the network. Sheppard Ave West is also a 4 lane road, so...yeah, so much for your previous point.

It's suburban, but keep in mind, you're next to an airport and a ravine. Development in these areas was not possible for the longest time. There is potential along the corridor, and there are areas that have and can be further developed. That being said, given the political climate that led to Sheppard, there's no denying that things probably would have ended up the same way if Eglinton was built instead of Sheppard.

Again, sounds a lot like Eglinton. The comparison is fair.

Last edited:
My guess is it will look a lot like a Confederation Line station (one of the 3 not-underground ones). Still grade-separated, and a multi-level station.

PS: I know I've been absent for a while, but with a 2 1/2 month old at home now, not much time to keep up-to-date on UT!

Congrats. Here's to wooden train sets and hot wheels tracks in your not too distant future.

Thanks everyone! It's certainly been an adventure so far, haha.

As for Eglinton vs Sheppard, there's more to consider than just the adjacent density or how "suburban" it is. One of the biggest drivers of the TTC subway system is the bus network.

Eglinton West itself may be very low density, but there are a tonne of dense, transit-reliant neighbourhoods just to the north which will almost certainly drive a fair amount of ridership on that stretch. The whole of Eglinton in fact has a lot of density in the 5-15 minute bus ride range north of it. Just look at the ridership going down to Bloor on routes like Kipling and Islington. A good chunk of those trips will be intercepted at Eglinton.

Sheppard by contrast doesn't really have that, at least in the stretch that has the subway. Yes it has density on the Sheppard corridor itself, but north of Sheppard is pretty much all single family housing. The density on streets like Finch doesn't really start until east of where the subway ends.

My guess is it will look a lot like a Confederation Line station (one of the 3 not-underground ones). Still grade-separated, and a multi-level station.

PS: I know I've been absent for a while, but with a 2 1/2 month old at home now, not much time to keep up-to-date on UT!
Congratulations on the baby!

Talking about extensions, meanwhile in Boston, another extension. The Green Line extension...
Wow - that took over 30 years, for 6 stops, since it was committed to by the State. And almost 100 years since they started discussing it in the 1920s.

And we think Toronto transit expansion is slow!

There are two opportunities here for the TDSB to get some money to inject into two high schools that have FSIs of 50% in Richview Collegiate Institute and Martin Grove Collegiate Institute. They could very easily develop part of their land with direct connections to the underground stations (rough yellow boxes below), without impacting the existing school buildings. If they wanted to be more ambitious they could include some redevelopment and expansion of the schools themselves as well. With such a maintenance backlog, the TDSB needs to get creative.
RCI Crosstown development.jpg

MCI Crosstown development.jpg

There were no plans for a York Memorial Collegiate Institute connection with the Keelesdale Station. However, that was before the fire. They should include a connection with the rebuilt school.

For Richview Collegiate Institute and Martin Grove Collegiate Institute, don't see them making a connection, at this time. (Stephen Harper was an alumnus at Richview, so maybe Doug may do something. Else some future federal Conservative government. After a temporary school name change, of course, while the Conservatives are in power. )

There were no plans for a York Memorial Collegiate Institute connection with the Keelesdale Station. However, that was before the fire. They should include a connection with the rebuilt school.

For Richview Collegiate Institute and Martin Grove Collegiate Institute, don't see them making a connection, at this time. (Stephen Harper was an alumnus at Richview, so maybe Doug may do something. Else some future federal Conservative government. After a temporary school name change, of course, while the Conservatives are in power. )
I don't think yopu would see a connection from an LRT line to a school ever for secrity reason. Most schools now require everyone to either be a student or stff and have a school isued ID card and anyone else visting the school needs to sign in with the main office. Being able to wak out of a transit sation right int a school sounds good on paper but it could lead to anyome being able to walk in with out being authorised by the school

I don't think yopu would see a connection from an LRT line to a school ever for secrity reason. Most schools now require everyone to either be a student or stff and have a school isued ID card and anyone else visting the school needs to sign in with the main office. Being able to wak out of a transit sation right int a school sounds good on paper but it could lead to anyome being able to walk in with out being authorised by the school
I mean, just put an RFID reader at the entrance...

Back