Toronto Eglinton Line 5 Crosstown West Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

The airport corporate centre employment area doesn’t count I guess. Usage would be low west of Martin Grove outside rush hour. Maybe if they need to divert the 927 there to connect to the lrt.
Uh, my comment was talking about the original 1990s Eglinton West Subway plan, which was a heavy rail subway running from Eglinton West Station to York Centre (current day Mt. Dennis). What does Renforth, the airport employment centre (or the lack thereof in 1990) or LRTs have anything to do with this?

The Eglinton West Subway would've been another stub like the Sheppard Subway, except unlike the Sheppard Subway, it would've terminated in literal greenfields. The Sheppard Subway at the very least had Fairview Mall going for it. This kinda makes me wonder if we are actually living in the good timeline, because the timeline where the Eglinton Subway was built, it probably would've been a failure in terms of ridership, and extending it would've been a political nightmare, just like Sheppard is today.
If Eglinton subway was built, it would have had a much stronger case extending it eastwards towards Kennedy. Why? Because it's already happening! At least we would have got a high capacity crosstown line instead of this half hearted attempt.

If Eglinton subway was built, it would have had a much stronger case extending it eastwards towards Kennedy. Why? Because it's already happening! At least we would have got a high capacity crosstown line instead of this half hearted attempt.
That's genuinely hard to say. In the original planning documents for the Eglinton West Subway, the ultimate planned route consisted of a route between Eglinton West and Pearson Airport (assuming all phases were built). Unlike the Sheppard Subway, a link between the two halves of YUS wasn't even remotely considered. When we consider what happened to the Sheppard Line in our timeline, the only proposals for extension in the 2000s consisted of the Sheppard East LRT - a linear transfer from a subway to an LRT. I highly doubt things would've been any better for the Eglinton West Subway (assuming anything happened at all).

If an eastward extension wasn't considered at that time, it doesn't mean it would not have been considered 20 years later. I am sure they would have extended the subway instead of having an LRT line. Having subway in low density areas and LRT in high density areas and a linear transfer would have been a very dumb combination.

If an eastward extension wasn't considered at that time, it doesn't mean it would not have been considered 20 years later. I am sure they would have extended the subway instead of having an LRT line. Having subway in low density areas and LRT in high density areas and a linear transfer would have been a very dumb combination.
But given the pace of Toronto transit, would it have been built at all? Just look at the hoop-la surrounding the Sheppard extensions.

Like I mentioned, an underground LRT on Eglinton is already being built, so a subway would have been very likely too. Sheppard subway is still there as it is and will remain so for many years. Secondly, Eglinton has tons of density and Sheppard is nowhere close to that. There is no comparison.

Does anyone know what the "At Grade Station" at Renforth will look like? I've seen the previous designs for when the line was all at grade, but what about now that most of it is underground? It'd be cool if it was elevated over the transitway in parallel to allow for quick transfers but still "at grade" with the road.
My guess is it will look a lot like a Confederation Line station (one of the 3 not-underground ones). Still grade-separated, and a multi-level station.

PS: I know I've been absent for a while, but with a 2 1/2 month old at home now, not much time to keep up-to-date on UT!

Uh, my comment was talking about the original 1990s Eglinton West Subway plan, which was a heavy rail subway running from Eglinton West Station to York Centre (current day Mt. Dennis). What does Renforth, the airport employment centre (or the lack thereof in 1990) or LRTs have anything to do with this?
I was confused with your mentioning of the current project.

As for a subway to York Centre, I would think there would be major development at the Kodak site if that line was built. The development won't happen in the 90s but a decade later. The subway version would have the bus terminal on the current No Frills site instead of the Kodak site. Bus access/Kiss-n-rider drop off would be superior in this version as they won't have to loop around Photograph Dr to actually access the current built terminal. Pedestrian access would suffer since there is no entrance on the other side of the railway corridor. There won't be an MSF at the Kodak site. Instead Wilson yard would been expanded to serve the line so that opens up a lot of development opportunities. Kodak would have shut down either way as digital photograph emerges victory.

My guess is it will look a lot like a Confederation Line station (one of the 3 not-underground ones). Still grade-separated, and a multi-level station.

PS: I know I've been absent for a while, but with a 2 1/2 month old at home now, not much time to keep up-to-date on UT!
I was just thinking o haven’t seen you in forever. Then I noticed you were a moderator so I was going to congratulate you on that but more importantly congrats on the newborn.

Like I mentioned, an underground LRT on Eglinton is already being built, so a subway would have been very likely too. Sheppard subway is still there as it is and will remain so for many years. Secondly, Eglinton has tons of density and Sheppard is nowhere close to that. There is no comparison.
Clearly you've never travelled down Sheppard.

Eglinton is not any more dense than Sheppard is (As a matter of fact I'd argue that Sheppard has more density than Eglinton when you consider what's currently being built).

Back