Toronto Eglinton Line 5 Crosstown West Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

i think missisauga transitway conversion to lrt should happen sooner than later given how much development is proposed at square one. almost nothing along the corridor but the anticipated density at sq1 is enough to justify it if mississauga is not getting bloor danforth extension or milton like rer.

I agree, but unless they just want it to stop at SQ One, the rest of the Transitway needs to be built as originally planned, or else an LRT on the 403 is gonna be dicey!

1598218313153.png

Unless ridership starts ramping up, it's hard to justify conversion to LRT. There's almost no stations that would lead to any heavy development plus the stations itself are dangerous to access from nearby residences. I think the line is doomed from day one and they shouldn't spend anymore money on it.

Unless ridership starts ramping up, it's hard to justify conversion to LRT. There's almost no stations that would lead to any heavy development plus the stations itself are dangerous to access from nearby residences. I think the line is doomed from day one and they shouldn't spend anymore money on it.

If theres anything we can learn from the Toronto subway its that stations can be successful in the middle of nowhere if there is a good bus feeder network bringing people to those stations.

Plus the stations are also park and rides like a typical GO station.

I really dont think this line is doomed.

If theres anything we can learn from the Toronto subway its that stations can be successful in the middle of nowhere if there is a good bus feeder network bringing people to those stations.

Plus the stations are also park and rides like a typical GO station.

I really dont think this line is doomed.
There needs to be somewhere on the line that is the destination for most riders. A full blown Sheppard subway is still doomed if North York Centre or Scarborough Centre doesn't develop. For this line, City Centre really needs to become a real financial downtown for any chance this line would get any success.

Park and rides isn't a good transit development. It simply helps bridge non-existing frequent feeder bus service and doesn't grow ridership long term. Plus on the GO, people are headed downtown Toronto. It doesn't seem to be the case for travelling within MIssissauga. Why drive and park at a transitway station when you can just drive all the way to the destination and park?

There needs to be somewhere on the line that is the destination for most riders. A full blown Sheppard subway is still doomed if North York Centre or Scarborough Centre doesn't develop. For this line, City Centre really needs to become a real financial downtown for any chance this line would get any success.

Park and rides isn't a good transit development. It simply helps bridge non-existing frequent feeder bus service and doesn't grow ridership long term. Plus on the GO, people are headed downtown Toronto. It doesn't seem to be the case for travelling within MIssissauga. Why drive and park at a transitway station when you can just drive all the way to the destination and park?

Lol the literal center of Mississauga and Pearson airport isn't good enough for ya?

Pearson Airport and it’s employment lands essentially need a a transit system onto itself if it’s to be a major trip generator. An LRT stop isn’t gonna cut it.
Heh, that reminds me of my transit fantasy thread suggestion of looping Eglinton West around Airport Corporate Centre. Stations would be more like streetcar stops, very light-infrastructure.

ACC_Crosstown.png

Then you would only need a people mover between Finch West LRT, Pearson & UPX station, and Renforth Station.

Then you would only need a people mover between Finch West LRT, Pearson & UPX station, and Renforth Station.

Which honestly isn't the worst idea I've heard. For that matter, linking everything tightly into a 427 busway might just make this result in a more coherent service structure than a lot of the options involving direct Aiport service by the LRT.

Which honestly isn't the worst idea I've heard. For that matter, linking everything tightly into a 427 busway might just make this result in a more coherent service structure than a lot of the options involving direct Aiport service by the LRT.

The Eglinton Crosstown LRT (Line 5) and Finch West LRT (Line 6) could become one "tripper" service.

There is currently a lowest bidder cycling path along Eglinton Avenue West in Etobicoke. Maybe along with the underground light-rail, we should upgrade the cycling path to include underpasses when they build the light rail.

There is currently a lowest bidder cycling path along Eglinton Avenue West in Etobicoke. Maybe along with the underground light-rail, we should upgrade the cycling path to include underpasses when they build the light rail.

Good point. That bike path can be annoying because it sometimes feels like it has too many sloped sections. With prevailing west to east winds, going west often means going uphill and against the wind.

Back