Toronto Eglinton Line 5 Crosstown West Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

^ Couldn't it still continue with relative easy even with the sell off for townhomes? What specific consequence was there? Isn't there still enough room? I'm just not that familiar with this specific location so open to hearing more.

If you mean still building it down the middle of the street as was planned, there is still room for that.

^ Thanks, yes that's what I meant. So sounds like the Richview sell-off didn't impact surface LRT.

Also, Steve Munro just made this comment which noted the width discussion.

The whole business of "economic benefits" is creative accounting used by Metrolinx to justify high capital costs. Those benefits are almost all notional, not real dollars. They cannot be offset against the construction cost, and they accrue in future years while capital costs are now. Money for this sort of thing is going to be scarce in coming years as there are other priorities, notably health care, housing and social relief.

As for crossing a "widened" Eglinton Avenue, that's a bogus argument. Right now, a pedestrian has to get all the way across in one go, whereas with an LRT (or BRT) right of way, they could do this in stages. Think of what Spadina looked like before the transit right-of-way. The real issue is to ensure that pedestrians get a fair chance at green time and don't wait ages before the signals deign to give them a shot at crossing.

^ Thanks, yes that's what I meant. So sounds like the Richview sell-off didn't impact surface LRT.

The street retains sufficient width for a vanilla at-grade, center-of-median LRT, but not necessarily for more elaborate platforms or other structures (such as portals for duckunders wch gt need side abutments).

The option for more exotic configurations such as side of road or complete grade separation is what may have been lost.

- Paul

From Martin Grove east to Islington is a tight fit with the buildings too close to the street edge on the north side to main 4 lanes of traffic and the LRT in the centre. From Islington to Jane, you can shift the LRT to the north side with grade separation starting with Islington.

Got to Thank The Ford's For The Lost Of Land for having the LRT on the side with grade separation.

From Martin Grove east to Islington is a tight fit with the buildings too close to the street edge on the north side to main 4 lanes of traffic and the LRT in the centre. From Islington to Jane, you can shift the LRT to the north side with grade separation starting with Islington.

Got to Thank The Ford's For The Lost Of Land for having the LRT on the side with grade separation.

There's plenty of room still - there's a very wide median running along the south side of Eglinton with trees, grass, a sidewalk and a meandering bike path that could be used.

Anyone hoping to go through the original Eglinton West LRT website is out of luck due to the line's change in plans. Same goes for the Eglinton East website due to that line being canceled.

Anyone hoping to go through the original Eglinton West LRT website is out of luck due to the line's change in plans. Same goes for the Eglinton East website due to that line being canceled.

Everything in any government (federal, provincial, and municipal) has to be copied and downloaded.

Is it time to change this thread's name to its official name: Eglinton Crosstown West Extension? ?

1585417668543.png

Normally I am not for this kind of decision making - but it would please me greatly to see that stretch of homes expropriated for a big fat elevated transit line.

AoD

Can we send the bill to the members of Council who voted to sell off the land?

Back