Toronto Eglinton Line 5 Crosstown West Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

There is a pipeline underground under Eglinton Avenue West in Etobicoke. They have to take into consideration if they have to avoid the pipeline or move it.
I suspect there are pipelines under just about every road. It this a real concern or just an excuse.
I wouldn't be surprised if it costs $1M/km to relocate - and to avoid this they will choose construction methods that are $100M/km more expensive.

I suspect there are pipelines under just about every road. It this a real concern or just an excuse.
I wouldn't be surprised if it costs $1M/km to relocate - and to avoid this they will choose construction methods that are $100M/km more expensive.

It's a major trunk line. I presume there has to be x feet of vertical separation between the tunnel and the gas line - just in case. Relocation won't fix that because the gas line crosses the route.

- Paul

It's a major trunk line. I presume there has to be x feet of vertical separation between the tunnel and the gas line - just in case. Relocation won't fix that because the gas line crosses the route.

- Paul
Wait. Does it run along Eglinton West? Does it cross Eglinton at 1 of the Arterial crossings? Does it cross Eglinton at all Arterial crossings?

I would suspect crossing perpendicular is much easier to handle as they can most likely locally protect the pipe.
If it runs parallel, then that's a pretty wide corridor. If this pipeline is under the centre of the road, then just shift the transit line within the ROW, and then onl ya few minor pedestrian crossings are required.

^See http://www.eglintonwestlrt.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Stage-One-Report.pdf

The gas main runs along the south side of Eglinton, but it potentially crosses the plane of the tunnel west of Martin Grove Rd.

The map calls it a ‘vital’ line which I take to mean they can’t just valve it off somewhere and splice in a relocated segment. From where it is above ground out that way, it’s a pretty big pipe.

I’m speculating that the issue is not so much supporting it during construction, but rather not having any underground voids (such as a transit station or tunnel) in proximity where gas might collect should the pipe break or leak. Hence the need for a tunnel to be a fair ways underground to ensure a barrier. Gas is heavier than air, after all.

- Paul

Last edited:
^See http://www.eglintonwestlrt.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Stage-One-Report.pdf

The gas main runs along the south side of Eglinton, but it potentially crosses the plane of the tunnel west of Martin Grove Rd.

The map calls it a ‘vital’ line which I take to mean they can’t just valve it off somewhere and splice in a relocated segment. From where it is above ground out that way, it’s a pretty big pipe.

I’m speculating that the issue is not so much supporting it during construction, but rather not having any underground voids (such as a transit station or tunnel) in proximity where gas might collect should the pipe break or leak. Hence the need for a tunnel to be a fair ways underground to ensure a barrier. Gas is heavier than air, after all.

- Paul
Thanks,

There was some traffic study to improve this area. Essentially, the joining Eglinton happened too close to Martin Grove, resulting in Eglinton cars shooting across to the left to make the turn onto Martin Grove, while the 401 cars where coming right to continue on Eglinton. I recall that a good solution here was to move this intersection to the West side of Mimico Creek, and then there is space to elevate over Mimico Creek and never really cross the gas line. A quick read, I think the east-west gas line in 900mm diameter, and north-south ones 200mm (Royal York) to 300mm (Martin Grove) - I assume these smaller one can be relocated vertically if required.

1583026492489.png

So it seems it should be (note that the link still had the mid-block stops, so the results were skewed to have the line under the centre of the road, and also done in such a way that the mid-block stops are at-grade);
Jane - Elevated, north side.
Scarlet - Elevated, north side.
Royal York - buried, north side.
Islington - buried, north side.
Kipling - buried, north side (if you're worried about a 1 ha. parcel of woods, you may as well give up building the city).
Martin Grove - buried, north side
Line goes to the south west of Martin Grove and elevates just before Mimico Creek (EDIT: I show it going under the 427 bridges, but I could imagine a scenario where it flies over them all).
North side means tracks just to the north of Eglinton, but station excavation and EB platform under north lanes of Eglinton. Buried means all track underground, with station and track between built with cut-and-cover (and precast concrete box segments to speed construction).

Last edited:
If the high pressure natural gas pipeline is close to the underground LRT station at Kipling & Eglinton, that's okay. Doug Ford lives close to that intersection. So if an "incident" happens from the gas pipeline, Doug's home would be in the way. Unfortunately, his neighbours would also be in trouble.

Maybe Doug will pay for the extra precautions needed for an underground LRT next to his home.

Not gonna lie, if this thing gets built I would visit Square One more frequently. 68 minutes one-way from Yonge&Eglinton to Square One according to the Business Case using the preferred Option 4.

Regional connectivity sorta wins with this overpriced transit expansion.

The reverse is also true. I predict that the shopping/dining options along Eglinton east of Keele, that will open up for people in Etobicoke and Mississauga, will be significant. The thought of Eglinton/Bathurst bagels in my commuting reach........

While it's not on anyone's priority list, extending the St Clair streetcar to Six Points would have a similar benefit. Maybe some day.

- Paul

Not gonna lie, if this thing gets built I would visit Square One more frequently. 68 minutes one-way from Yonge&Eglinton to Square One according to the Business Case using the preferred Option 4.

Regional connectivity sorta wins with this overpriced transit expansion.
Not to mention that driving would take the same amount of time plus it offers an alternative to the aging Line 2.

The reverse is also true. I predict that the shopping/dining options along Eglinton east of Keele, that will open up for people in Etobicoke and Mississauga, will be significant. The thought of Eglinton/Bathurst bagels in my commuting reach........

While it's not on anyone's priority list, extending the St Clair streetcar to Six Points would have a similar benefit. Maybe some day.

- Paul
Don't forget about the patties and jerk chicken on Eglinton between Keele and Marlee.

Just my 2 cents that I will conceed that there can be some merit to having the line underground between Royal York and Martin Grove. However, having the line buried from Martin Grove to Renforth/Commerce is asinine and a complete waste of money for so many reasons. There is literally no density there and a noodle of highways. At grade/Elevated would more than suffice.

It shouldn't be any more than this.

ecwe-map.png

Back