Toronto Eglinton Line 5 Crosstown West Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

I refuse to believe the government ever intends on spending $4.3 Billion on this thing. Nope. Don’t buy it.
Well today's money and Sheppard subway times money is completely different things. Plot twist this happens and Scarborough is left with nothing but promises.

Well today's money and Sheppard subway times money is completely different things. Plot twist this happens and Scarborough is left with nothing but promises.

$1 Billion in 2000 is $1.5 Billion in 2020. So $4.5 Billion for EWLRT vs $1.5 Billion for the Stubway

Anyways nothing would surprise me with this government. $6.5 Billion for the SSE is incredibly hard to stomach, regardless of how supportive one might be of the project.

$1 Billion in 2000 is $1.5 Billion in 2020. So $4.5 Billion for EWLRT vs $1.5 Billion for the Stubway

Anyways nothing would surprise me with this government. $6.5 Billion for the SSE is incredibly hard to stomach, regardless of how supportive one might be of the project.
You may be correct on the dollar inflation but what about the subway construction inflation?

Hey, the bright side is they are going to pass a law to ease expropriation right? Make sure it gets applied to the properties along this stretch that blocks the Richview corridor when the new government rolls around ?

AoD
The same very corridor he sold off for quick buck with the city, only to now pay for it 10 fold with provincial funds.

The same very corridor he sold off for quick buck with the city, only to now pay for it 10 fold with provincial funds.
The IBC claims they don't need to buy land along Eglinton but would need to acquire land along the airport alignment.

It also claims the can operate ATO between Renforth and Laird and would use both TBM and cut and cover depending on location.

• Private property acquisition to be required only for the Airport Segment.
• Tunnelling and underground stations to be built with a mix of tunnel boring machine and cut and cover, depending on location.
• Underground stations to have platform, concourse and street levels, and
a minimum of two entrances, with Jane and Scarlett stations fortified
with flood proofing elements.
• Humber River bridge to be upgraded and utilities to be relocated to
accommodate at-grade LRT alignment

As I have mention before, there is a major gas line underneath Eg West would proposes a challenge for cut and cover. The IBC mentions each station would have a concourse so I think they plan to tunnel underneath the gas line which would lead to very deep stations.

Utility and Topology Challenges
There is no substantial risk of conflict with surface utilities, particularly the
overhead height limit imposed by hydro corridors west of Martin Grove Road, as
all of the options will feature either surface or underground alignments along the
height-restricted stretch.
However, Options 2 and 4 will require more complex underground station
construction solutions due to the presence of high pressure gas lines underneath
most of the arterial intersections. Option 2 will likely to present the most
significant tunneling challenges due to the steep grade change requirements
presented by the Humber River ravine.

The city should really unlock the yellow belt especially if they are going with a full grade seperated alignment...

1582983119107.png

The city should really unlock the yellow belt especially if they are going with a full grade seperated alignment...

That’s the real tragedy of the Fords selling the slice of Eglinton. It could have been planned and developed as an avenues-scale walkable corridor. Instead, the street has been lined in a hodge podge way with some pretty unremarkable town homes. I bet Finch turns out nicer than Eglinton west of Keele.

- Paul

That’s the real tragedy of the Fords selling the slice of Eglinton. It could have been planned and developed as an avenues-scale walkable corridor. Instead, the street has been lined in a hodge podge way with some pretty unremarkable town homes. I bet Finch turns out nicer than Eglinton west of Keele.

- Paul

Normally I am not for this kind of decision making - but it would please me greatly to see that stretch of homes expropriated for a big fat elevated transit line.

AoD

Normally I am not for this kind of decision making - but it would please me greatly to see that stretch of homes expropriated for a big fat elevated transit line.
AoD

That sounds a bit vengeful.... but I would say the same thing a bit more clinically. Wherever we build transit in the GTA, density has to follow. That doesn’t imply towers, but at minimum it implies a buildout to the full Avenues 8-story scale. That ought to be applied all along Bloor-Danforth from Kennedy to Kipling. Similarly the zoning for multiple-family dwellings must be increased, allowing smaller but still multi-family structures anywhere within a few blocks of a subway station.

I live in such a a single family home neighbourhood with a short walk to the subway, and all I see being constructed around here are monster homes. That has to stop. Triplexes, ok. One option is to impose surtaxes or development super fees on any new housing construction in that proximity zone that doesn’t offer multiple units, owned or leased. Or just raise tax assessments. Change the economics so that the people who say “I have money, so it’s my right to buy close to the subway” are outbid by people who say “I will use the same land to house more people”.

So yeah, that kinda dooms the present neighbourhoods close to Eglinton (just as it dooms the Kingsway, and others near Bloor/Danforth). Building transit and then surrounding it with suburbs is a bigger waste than overbuilding a line where a more modest form of transit would do.

- Paul

Last edited:

AoD

I don't think any expropriation would be necessary with an elevated transit line on Eglinton West. Where the townhomes are it would run down the centre of Eglinton taking up no more room than an in-median setup. There are townhomes right on Overlea, I don't believe the gov't is planning on expropriating all of those too for any OL.

I still don't understand why they want this entire stretch tunneled. Doesn't add up.

I don't think any expropriation would be necessary with an elevated transit line on Eglinton West. Where the townhomes are it would run down the centre of Eglinton taking up no more room than an in-median setup. There are townhomes right on Overlea, I don't believe the gov't is planning on expropriating all of those too for any OL.

I still don't understand why they want this entire stretch tunneled. Doesn't add up.
It does add up. When the next government swoops in and cancels the line in a few years, the PCs get to yell about how the Liberals want to take your subways.

It does add up. When the next government swoops in and cancels the line in a few years, the PCs get to yell about how the Liberals want to take your subways.
I imagine Ford is not smart enough to realize what is happening, and the civil servants view this as a blank check since the gov't is motivated to build something.
Different generation - but the Highway 11 twinning to North Bay was the same. They came up with their own standards, well above the normal MTO practice, because they realized the project would go ahead regardless of cost. And why not build a bigger empire for yourself.

Back