Toronto Eglinton Line 5 Crosstown West Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Initial Business Case

ecwe-map.png

Ah, but he will be stuck behind the 32 bus because the preferred option can't provide enough local stops.

- Paul
Especially since Eglinton doesn't have bus/right turning lanes at stops. That creates a significant amount of congestion currently.

Hey, the bright side is they are going to pass a law to ease expropriation right? Make sure it gets applied to the properties along this stretch that blocks the Richview corridor when the new government rolls around ?

AoD

Here's a comparison to the financials from the TTC/Toronto City report of a year back, and the current bcs. My, how the costs have risen. If this were Hamilton, we'd be cancelling the project altogether. But being Doug's part of town, we are now heading underground.

Caveat - the exact specs of the four options may not align between the two studies.

- Paul

Screen Shot 2020-02-28 at 4.26.03 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-02-28 at 4.23.04 PM.png

Last edited:
To lower costs, I can see them using cut-and-cover west of Scarlett Road. There is enough room to shift the roadway to the north and use part of the south "linear park". It is not "officially" a park, except for the bikepath (which will be shifted). See link.

I can't imagine why they would do anything but cut and cover....unless there are some spectacular sewers and water lines along there, there's no reason to duck under anything. The cost of those deep excavations isn't justified.

One hopes also that they would let the line come back to the surface where the topography allows - Eglinton has a few dips that don't require the line to be underground. It's only the major intersections where being underground might have some benefit.

- Paul

Especially since Eglinton doesn't have bus/right turning lanes at stops. That creates a significant amount of congestion currently.
Don't you worry. They will find a way to add those in once everything's done. I don't think the road is curbed either.

Back