Toronto Eglinton Line 5 Crosstown West Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

If only we'd just called the Scarborough LRT " The Scarborough above-ground Subway" it would probably have been built by now.
I am not sure if the Eglinton West route has been finalized - but I don't think there is a forced transfer at Mount Dennis.
Without this, parallels to the Transit City version of S/LRT are not valid.

Yes, but we should have had a new LRT-based one (which was still fully grade separated) as a replacement, that would have opened by now until the Fords killed it cus STREETCARS BAD, SUBWAYS GOOD.

Nitpick....it was Dalton McGinty who killed the original plan for the LRT west of Mount Dennis. The Fords left the idea alone (albeit, while selling some of the width of the Eglinton roadway which might have been useful to keep the project at grade). John Tory revived the idea with his original SmartTrack commuter heavy rail line idea....which led to a staff study that thankfully returned it to a proposed Crosstown extension. Then there was a debate about whether it ought to be at grade, resulting in more study, resulting in a staff recommendation to leave it at grade..... and here we are, awaiting the final decision and plan.

- Paul

Nitpick....it was Dalton McGinty who killed the original plan for the LRT west of Mount Dennis. The Fords left the idea alone (albeit, while selling some of the width of the Eglinton roadway which might have been useful to keep the project at grade). John Tory revived the idea with his original SmartTrack commuter heavy rail line idea....which led to a staff study that thankfully returned it to a proposed Crosstown extension. Then there was a debate about whether it ought to be at grade, resulting in more study, resulting in a staff recommendation to leave it at grade..... and here we are, awaiting the final decision and plan.

- Paul
I meant the Scarborough LRT that Rob Ford replaced in 2013 with the 3 stop subway extension, because SUBWAYS SUBWAYS SUBWAYS, but very true about Eglinton East.

Regardless, it's hilarious to see a Ford referring to the LRTs they hated so much a few years ago as subways now.

Why is Doug Ford calling the Crosstown a "subway", when only part of it is actually a "light rail subway"? Did you skip that in English class in high school, Doug?

Doug Ford drives around in a horseless carriage, listens to a wireless, and watches facsimile transmissions.

At the 29:56 mark the CEO of Metrolinx says they will be doing the tunnel contract for the Eg West LRT "this year".

That aligns with Tory's additional capital tax. Between Eg. West and the 6 GO stations he can call SmartTrack a kept promise; not what we hoped for but Mayor of Toronto didn't have authority to deliver what we hoped for.

It'll be interesting to see the final price on this. Based strictly on Hamilton estimates, Option 4 (~10km of tunneled LRT with 4 underground + 3 elevated stations) would be in the $15B+ range. Obviously it'll be much cheaper than that because the last Hamilton LRT estimate is fiction.

Last edited:
At the 29:56 mark the CEO of Metrolinx says they will be doing the tunnel contract for the Eg West LRT "this year".

With Doug Ford's home near Kipling & Eglinton West, he DEMANDS that the Eglinton West LRT not be visible to his eyesight, should he drive his SUV along Eglinton West in Etobicoke.

If someone got on the LRT in Kennedy and just stayed on the train till the end, when this is built, would they have had to change trains? Is thee technology the same as Crosstown?

To add to that is the extension being built in phases? For example Mount Dennis to Renforth as phase one and Renforth to Pearson as Phases 2 or all the way to Pearson?

My understanding is that its the whole thing.

The city's plan before the province picked it up was to build only to Renforth as past that is in Mississauga, but with it being a provincial project now, it will go to Pearson.

How are they planning on issuing tunnel contracts already? Do we even know where they are tunneling it?

My understanding is that its the whole thing.

The city's plan before the province picked it up was to build only to Renforth as past that is in Mississauga, but with it being a provincial project now, it will go to Pearson.

How are they planning on issuing tunnel contracts already? Do we even know where they are tunneling it?

We don't exactly know where it will be tunnelled, Metrolinx has been mum on this. In one interview, Phil Verster did allude that it will be tunnelled past the Humber river, so I am going to go out on a limb and say the section immediately after Mount Dennis to past the Humber River will be elevated, but we don't know at this point.

As for the Pearson connection, my understanding is that Mount Dennis to Renforth will be built first, with the Pearson segment completed when the GTAA builds the transit hub/Union Station West. Without that project complete, the LRT has nowhere to go at YYZ.

We don't exactly know where it will be tunnelled, Metrolinx has been mum on this. In one interview, Phil Verster did allude that it will be tunnelled past the Humber river, so I am going to go out on a limb and say the section immediately after Mount Dennis to past the Humber River will be elevated, but we don't know at this point.

As for the Pearson connection, my understanding is that Mount Dennis to Renforth will be built first, with the Pearson segment completed when the GTAA builds the transit hub/Union Station West. Without that project complete, the LRT has nowhere to go at YYZ.

Considering that the section from Weston to the Humber is a massive floodplain, it would be illogical to tunnel there...

Back