Toronto Eglinton Line 5 Crosstown West Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

^On my most recent trip across the pond, my GPS let me down twice: first, it wanted me to go on a ten-mile triangle because a certain junction was a fork in the road and one could not turn from one tine of the fork to the other (a simple u-turn in a driveway solved that one) and second, it got into a loop between two roundabouts that were about a quarter mile apart - to solve that one I chose a turn at random, forcing the GPS to recalculate, and breaking the loop. The verbal coaching is nice, especially on a non-grid road network..... but studying the route ahead of time is essential.

- Paul

^On my most recent trip across the pond, my GPS let me down twice: first, it wanted me to go on a ten-mile triangle because a certain junction was a fork in the road and one could not turn from one tine of the fork to the other (a simple u-turn in a driveway solved that one) and second, it got into a loop between two roundabouts that were about a quarter mile apart - to solve that one I chose a turn at random, forcing the GPS to recalculate, and breaking the loop. The verbal coaching is nice, especially on a non-grid road network..... but studying the route ahead of time is essential.

- Paul

There's a good example for people who think that a GPS can lead the way. USE YOUR BRAIN, not a GPS, even if your driving in cottage country and don't know where you're going.

EDIT- We got really off-topic!

A GPS will give you directions, sure....but won’t give you the lay of the land or help you orient yourself
This is a very good point, as GPS is a *tool* not an end in itself, which is what gets some into a lot trouble.

Some apps allow you to enter the route you want to take beforehand, and then calls out the turns to you to save you dangerously glancing at a map. By virtue of planning and plotting the trip to begin with, you know when the app directions have gone wrong.

Expecting a GPS app to 'get me there from here' without any kind of filtering is just asking for trouble, and usually trouble is happy to oblige. GPS and apps are an incredibly powerful tool. But don't let it tell you what to do.

This is a very good point, as GPS is a *tool* not an end in itself, which is what gets some into a lot trouble.

Some apps allow you to enter the route you want to take beforehand, and then calls out the turns to you to save you dangerously glancing at a map. By virtue of planning and plotting the trip to begin with, you know when the app directions have gone wrong.

Expecting a GPS app to 'get me there from here' without any kind of filtering is just asking for trouble, and usually trouble is happy to oblige. GPS and apps are an incredibly powerful tool. But don't let it tell you what to do.

Use your head! That sounds better!

From link.

Upcoming Public Meetings
Plans are being refined for the Eglinton West LRT to make sure we build the best transit for the City and local community. This includes providing great transit connections, optimizing traffic flows in the area and developing well-connected and designed public spaces that align with community values. Your input on these plans will help inform City recommendations to Council in Spring 2019. We are holding two public meetings:​
Tuesday, March 5
York Humber High School, Cafeteria
100 Emmett Avenue
6:30 P.M. – 8:30 P.M. (Presentation starts at 7:00 P.M.)​
Thursday, March 7
Martingrove Collegiate Institute, Cafeteria
50 Winterton Drive
6:30 P.M. – 8:30 P.M. (Presentation starts at 7:00 P.M.)​

Why in the planet are they having public consultations on a project that's nowhere close to construction? The design work hasn't even been finalized, not even talking of the fact that there's no money anywhere in sight to even build this.

It's astonishing how things can be done so backwards in this city. This is the exact reason why people have no idea what's being done in this city; they have consultations years ahead of shovels being put in the ground, then the plans change X times before people being even aware of what's really going on or what's really being built.

Unless they plan on presenting the public with multiple options, there's really no point of having this specific meeting.

Why in the planet are they having public consultations on a project that's nowhere close to construction? The design work hasn't even been finalized, not even talking of the fact that there's no money anywhere in sight to even build this.

It's astonishing how things can be done so backwards in this city. This is the exact reason why people have no idea what's being done in this city; they have consultations years ahead of shovels being put in the ground, then the plans change X times before people being even aware of what's really going on or what's really being built.

Unless they plan on presenting the public with multiple options, there's really no point of having this specific meeting.

Honestly I and I imagine others don't see a point in it either. It's so far from even being considered as under construction, why are they organizating a meeting now, and not in like 2030???

Honestly I and I imagine others don't see a point in it either. It's so far from even being considered as under construction, why are they organizating a meeting now, and not in like 2030???

The Pearson Transit Hub is expected to be in operation by the late 2020s. See link. Don't forget its not just Metrolinx and the City of Toronto, but the feds as well, Greater Toronto Airports Authority (GTAA), operator of Toronto Pearson. See link.

So they will need the Eglinton West LRT to reach the Pearson Transit Hub.

Actually, I’m very curious what they will present. IIRC when this was last dealt with at Council, the issue of whether to grade separate at major intersections was still being studied. That alone is a good thing to hash out well in advance of any final “go” vote by Council. If they have any preliminary designs for same, it would be good to put these in front of the community early so there is no allegation of ramming something through.

Also, both the Councillor and the MPP for the area have changed. Assuming they turn up, it may be interesting to hear their take on the proposal. And whether they see this being uploaded.

Don’t forget that this is Smarttrack. Maybe Mr Tory wants an opportunity to say that some part of his napkin-infused fantasy is still alive and well. Or, it would make a great opportunity to reposition it as BRT - just extend the Mississauga BRT eastwards to Mount Dennis.

- Paul

Actually, I’m very curious what they will present. IIRC when this was last dealt with at Council, the issue of whether to grade separate at major intersections was still being studied. That alone is a good thing to hash out well in advance of any final “go” vote by Council. If they have any preliminary designs for same, it would be good to put these in front of the community early so there is no allegation of ramming something through.

Also, both the Councillor and the MPP for the area have changed. Assuming they turn up, it may be interesting to hear their take on the proposal. And whether they see this being uploaded.

Don’t forget that this is Smarttrack. Maybe Mr Tory wants an opportunity to say that some part of his napkin-infused fantasy is still alive and well. Or, it would make a great opportunity to reposition it as BRT - just extend the Mississauga BRT eastwards to Mount Dennis.

- Paul

It will be interesting to see what ends up in this part of town. Council does NOT really care for this area as it is kind of a of an outlier...

The Pearson Transit Hub is expected to be in operation by the late 2020s. See link. Don't forget its not just Metrolinx and the City of Toronto, but the feds as well, Greater Toronto Airports Authority (GTAA), operator of Toronto Pearson. See link.

So they will need the Eglinton West LRT to reach the Pearson Transit Hub.

Read above comment

At previous meetings, notes were made that the Martin Grove & Eglinton Avenue West intersection was one of the worst congested intersections in Toronto. See link.

From link:

Current-issues.jpg

Made a suggestion that the right-of-way should use the depression at the Islington & Eglinton intersection to cross over to the south side of Eglinton over to Martin Grove, to avoid the traffic congestion at Martin Grove & Eglinton. That way, the drivers turning left from eastbound Eglinton to northbound Martin Grove could do so (with two left turn lanes?) without interfering with light rail movements.

At previous meetings, notes were made that the Martin Grove & Eglinton Avenue West intersection was one of the worst congested intersections in Toronto. See link.

From link:

Current-issues.jpg

Made a suggestion that the right-of-way should use the depression at the Islington & Eglinton intersection to cross over to the south side of Eglinton over to Martin Grove, to avoid the traffic congestion at Martin Grove & Eglinton. That way, the drivers turning left from eastbound Eglinton to northbound Martin Grove could do so (with two left turn lanes?) without interfering with light rail movements.

I am not surprised to here that. Everytime I pass through the area, and the intercestion itself, it's congested. LRT should be in a ROW in this section and be DOUBLE ENDED to avoid this!

I am not surprised to here that. Everytime I pass through the area, and the intercestion itself, it's congested. LRT should be in a ROW in this section and be DOUBLE ENDED to avoid this!
This might be an intersection that should be grade separated. Though they've done that before - even in the east, they grade-separated Don Mills and Kennedy. They could have done a cheaper design at Kennedy where the portal was east of Kennedy not west. And they could have done Don Mills entirely at surface, with the short tunnelled section just for Don Mills Road.

Not sure what you mean by double-ended.

This might be an intersection that should be grade separated. Though they've done that before - even in the east, they grade-separated Don Mills and Kennedy. They could have done a cheaper design at Kennedy where the portal was east of Kennedy not west. And they could have done Don Mills entirely at surface, with the short tunnelled section just for Don Mills Road.

Not sure what you mean by double-ended.

The LRVs themselves shall be double ended here. We have seen the problem with turning loops for the downtown streetcars.

Back