Toronto Eglinton Line 5 Crosstown West Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Wonder how many have forgotten that Eglinton West LRT was originally, maybe still is, part of "SmartTrack". See link.

There are meetings for SmartTrack, see link, scheduled at:

THURSDAY MARCH 1, 2018
Lithuanian House
1573 Bloor Street West
6:30 pm – 8:30 pm
Presentation begins at 7:00 pm

TUESDAY MARCH 6, 2018
Scarborough Civic Centre,
Council Chamber
150 Borough Drive
6:30 pm – 8:30 pm
Presentation begins at 7:00 pm

WEDNESDAY MARCH 21, 2018
Queen Alexandra Middle School,
Small Gym
181 Broadview Avenue
6:15 pm – 9:00 pm
Presentation begins at 7:30 pm​

According to the http://www.eglintonwestlrt.ca/ website:

With the City projected to grow to 3.4 million1 people and 1.72 million1 jobs by 2041, we must take steps to ensure our region remains a great place to live and work. For this reason, SmartTrack – including the Eglinton West LRT – will be a critical part of our expanding transportation network; a network that will ensure all types of public transportation – LRT, bus, streetcar, rail – work together to serve existing and future populations.

Now, according to this map:
31144-107113.png

The Eglinton West LRT is no longer part of SmartTrack!! Should we be worried?

I’d say that the last government had little or no interest in the project, period.... and the local MPP was just allowed to make ineffective noise to appease constituents, yes.

Do we think the new pro-Ford MPP will do better? I don’t. The province. would have to offer up money to impose new direction on the project. As is, the city pays 100%.

The question now is whether the city sees this as a priority when Doug backtracks and removes funding from things that Wynne promised. People seem to have forgotten that Eglinton West is part of Smarttrack. I bet Tory will let this fade away, protecting his reputation by marshalling the city’s limited remaining funds towards the heavy rail component of Smarttrack. That’s the part of ST people remember.

So, yeah, Eglinton West could be shelved, but not by Ford. If it survives, it’s because Tory doesn’t want to give Etobicoke Councillors a victory by taking credit for killing it. None of them want it, remember.... and they would love to say that they achieved economies at the city level.

- Paul

Trying to switch to this thread.

I could easily see Ford taking this back as a Provincial project. I think the central portion is provincial, so it would make perfect sense. Perhaps it could be tied to the uploading of subway lines.

Trying to switch to this thread.

I could easily see Ford taking this back as a Provincial project. I think the central portion is provincial, so it would make perfect sense. Perhaps it could be tied to the uploading of subway lines.
How dos uploading more - projects - anything - make it easier to upload things. Unless Ford is an acomplished alchemist turning lead into gold, this is going to be challenging.

How dos uploading more - projects - anything - make it easier to upload things. Unless Ford is an acomplished alchemist turning lead into gold, this is going to be challenging.
Eglinton is already provincial.
Ford agrees to build ECLRT in exchange for uploading of the YUS, B-D, Sheppard & Scarborough lines (lines 1 through 4).
This saves Tory a big cost to the city, and allows him to save face that something is being built on Eglinton that he can refer to as SmartTrack west.
Ford get his upload as the assets as Provincial, while most of the expenditures on Eglinton West will occur in later years (i.e. start construction in maybe 2021, with expenses mostly occurring in 2nd term).

Ford agrees to build ECLRT in exchange for uploading of the YUS, B-D, Sheppard & Scarborough lines (lines 1 through 4).
This saves Tory a big cost to the city, and allows him to save face that something is being built on Eglinton that he can refer to as SmartTrack west.
Ford get his upload as the assets as Provincial, while most of the expenditures on Eglinton West will occur in later years (i.e. start construction in maybe 2021, with expenses mostly occurring in 2nd term).

If I were Tory, and Ford proposed this, the question I would ask is, "What about the Relief Line?"

I can't see Tory agreeing to hand over the subway file to Ford without an affirmative answer to this question.

I can't see Tory being bought off with an Eglinton West extension. (OK, I can, but that would be a huge disservice to the city.)

- Paul

So the ole' shell and ball game.

Got it.

A couple of updates from the Eglinton West LRT website, forgive me if these are not new.
First, this image:
upload_2018-7-5_15-40-17.png

Second, an updated route map, where the section between Renforth and Silver Dart is no longer dotted, but now a solid line:
upload_2018-7-5_15-39-46.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-5_15-39-46.png
    upload_2018-7-5_15-39-46.png
    401.3 KB · Views: 1,473
  • upload_2018-7-5_15-40-17.png
    upload_2018-7-5_15-40-17.png
    313.2 KB · Views: 1,014
A couple of updates from the Eglinton West LRT website, forgive me if these are not new.
First, this image:
View attachment 149050

Second, an updated route map, where the section between Renforth and Silver Dart is no longer dotted, but now a solid line:
View attachment 149049

Get rid of Widdicombe, Wincott and Mulham stations, add Rangoon or East Mall back. Use the money saved from eliminating these stations to fully grade separating the ones at Jane, Scarlett, Royal York, Islington, Kipling and Martin Grove

Last edited:
Get rid of Widdicombe, Wincott and Mulham stations
YES.
A local bus could buzz around between Widdicombe - Kipling - Wincott, alternating going north and south of Eglinton.
Same between Mulham and Scarlet.
add Rangoon or East Mall back.
NO.
The East Mall bus goes to Martin Grove anyway, and that bus is stating anyway - so just let people stay on 1 extra bus stop to Martin Grove instead of creating a whole new LRT stop. The LRT stop is almost surrounded by freeways and river.
Rangoon doesn't even have a bus - West Mall bus would go to Renforth Station.

First, this image:
View attachment 149050

View attachment 149049

Unless the LRT actually reaches the airport what is the point of it going to Renforth Gateway? Instead why do we not extend the BRT to Martin Grove (connection under/beside the power lines)?

Saves a lot of money and does not increase the number of connections...you just have Mississauga operate the Transitway from Martin Grove to Renforth and onto the Airport as a Branch.

Unless the LRT actually reaches the airport what is the point of it going to Renforth Gateway? Instead why do we not extend the BRT to Martin Grove (connection under/beside the power lines)?

Saves a lot of money and does not increase the number of connections...you just have Mississauga operate the Transitway from Martin Grove to Renforth and onto the Airport as a Branch.

I'd rather see the money spent and have it connect to Renforth. Why half-ass it and force everyone traveling east-west to detour to the airport only to double back down towards Eglinton again?

I'd rather see the money spent and have it connect to Renforth. Why half-ass it and force everyone traveling east-west to detour to the airport only to double back down towards Eglinton again?

If we are not building the LRT directly to the Airport the path from Martin Grove to Renforth is almost 2.5 km. That's a lot of LRT

From Martin Grove you could have TTC running to the Airport & MiWay routes to Sq 1
From Sq 1 you would have some MiWay routes going to Martin Grove and others terminating at Pearson.

No detours. No add'l stops. It's just silly to throw $100m (a guess) to build a LRT a few km's for no reason (again unless it directly accesses the Airport)

Back