Toronto Eglinton Line 5 Crosstown West Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Too expensive. There was money for a grade separated Richview Expressway, but for transit, no money for grade separations, even for just intersections.

Eglinton traffic poses a real danger for pedestrians at that intersection as it is 6 lanes wide with cars flying off the highway at high speeds. Since they can't do a two level underground station nor an elevated one, why don't they just grade separate traffic at that point. I'm just thinking more on how to make a station at this location more appealing to a rider. Traffic can calm itself at the next lights at Widdicombe Hill and Kipling.

Based on the Finch West LRT website, at this link,

and this map:
finchwest-map.jpg

Many of the working names on the Eglinton West LRT stops/stations will end up way different than as presented.

2017-EgWestLRT-Approved-10-Stops-sm.jpg

I can see the names for Martin Grove, Kipling, Islington, Royal York, and Jane being replaced.

Rexdale and Eglington Flats could be a couple of names that could be used.
Martin Grove and Eglinton is no where near Rexdale.

They'll probably end up naming it something like Willowridge, Princess Margaret, Richview, Edenbridge and Eglinton Flats.

I really doubt that the Mississauga Transitway will be running through the City of Toronto.

That is not what I meant.

So, after Renforth, the EC will head up to the airport, which-is-not-in-Toronto. The Mississauga Transitway ends at Renforth. Both Renforth and the airport are both in Mississauga.

So, once the LRT extension to the airport is built, would Mississauga rebuild the Transitway and have trains also go between Renforth to the airport, which are completely in Mississauga?

That is not what I meant.

So, after Renforth, the EC will head up to the airport, which-is-not-in-Toronto. The Mississauga Transitway ends at Renforth. Both Renforth and the airport are both in Mississauga.

So, once the LRT extension to the airport is built, would Mississauga rebuild the Transitway and have trains also go between Renforth to the airport, which are completely in Mississauga?

The Eglinton LRT will meet the Transitway at Renforth station (actually at commerce)

2017-Eg-WestLRT-Approved-10-Stops.jpg

Buses from the Transitway already go to the airport, they just do so on regular roads, and I imagine they will continue to do so even after the LRT is built.

Someone taking a bus on the Transitway would probably just choose a bus going to the airport, and wouldn't bother switching to the LRT at Renforth just for such a short trip.

Its not like buses right now are getting to Renforth station and terminating there!

I really think they should just split the line at Martin Grove and head north towards Dixon and west from there. There's so much more potential on Dixon than a stop at Silver Dart.

The Eglinton LRT will meet the Transitway at Renforth station (actually at commerce)

2017-Eg-WestLRT-Approved-10-Stops.jpg

Buses from the Transitway already go to the airport, they just do so on regular roads, and I imagine they will continue to do so even after the LRT is built.

Someone taking a bus on the Transitway would probably just choose a bus going to the airport, and wouldn't bother switching to the LRT at Renforth just for such a short trip.

Its not like buses right now are getting to Renforth station and terminating there!

I am not saying it is happening. I am suggesting one day, an LRT train at the airport could have a sign saying Kennedy Station, or one could say Winston Churchill Station. One would be TTC, and the other would be MiWay. I am not suggesting the MiWay LRT is turned around at Renforth, or that a bus continues that way. These are 2 different service using the same part of the line.

I am not saying it is happening. I am suggesting one day, an LRT train at the airport could have a sign saying Kennedy Station, or one could say Winston Churchill Station. One would be TTC, and the other would be MiWay. I am not suggesting the MiWay LRT is turned around at Renforth, or that a bus continues that way. These are 2 different service using the same part of the line.

Is it that far fetched? Metrolinx seems to be edging closer and closer to being the main operator of rail in the region. I could see a Seattle-like future... Where all rail services and regional buses are run and branded as metrolinx (with the GO brand dissapearing) and TTC/miway etc being left to operate only buses and streetcars.

Is it that far fetched? Metrolinx seems to be edging closer and closer to being the main operator of rail in the region. I could see a Seattle-like future... Where all rail services and regional buses are run and branded as metrolinx (with the GO brand dissapearing) and TTC/miway etc being left to operate only buses and streetcars.

York Region cried "We want a subway to Toronto" They got it.

Mississauga will cry for a connection. They will get it.

York Region cried "We want a subway to Toronto" They got it.

Mississauga will cry for a connection. They will get it.

except that the transitway works better as a brt than as an lrt. it wont need that capacity for a long time and it benefits from the flexible route possibilities that buses offer.

I don't think the Mississauga Transitway was even designed for conversion to LRT. The entire MCC area would have to be redone plus a dedicated ROW is required to replace the current bus bypass lanes on the 403.

except that the transitway works better as a brt than as an lrt. it wont need that capacity for a long time and it benefits from the flexible route possibilities that buses offer.
That is the advantage of the Ottawa transitways. They allow riders to have a one seat ride from the burbs to the downtown core. Now they'll have to get off. Of course congestion in their core is really bad compared to MCC.

I don't think the Mississauga Transitway was even designed for conversion to LRT. The entire MCC area would have to be redone plus a dedicated ROW is required to replace the current bus bypass lanes on the 403.

That is the advantage of the Ottawa transitways. They allow riders to have a one seat ride from the burbs to the downtown core. Now they'll have to get off. Of course congestion in their core is really bad compared to MCC.

Just because it wasn't designed to be converted, doesn't mean it couldn't be redesigned. Parts of Ottawa's wasn't and they still are converting it. Eventually, it looks like they will replace all the Transitways in Ottawa with LRT.

Just because it wasn't designed to be converted, doesn't mean it couldn't be redesigned. Parts of Ottawa's wasn't and they still are converting it. Eventually, it looks like they will replace all the Transitways in Ottawa with LRT.

The transitway was less convertible then they thought. One of the problems was that many bridges had to be replaced, 30 years of salt made it so they couldn't withstand the weight of the train. Another was curves a train couldn't take at the desired 80km/h design speed

Other then the right of way, the only piece of the transitway that was substantially reused was St Laurent station, which was the only underground BRT station.

Building a transitway, tearing it down, and replacing it with LRT was almost as expensive as building a full subway in the first place.

You could have both LRT and BRT services.

Just pave the LRT tracks like TTC streetcar tracks, in concrete.

Buses and GO could use the BRT along with an LRT.

Would only make sense if ridership increased to warrant it however.

Back