Toronto Eglinton Line 5 Crosstown West Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Here's what I have from east to west. Eglinton Flats, Scarlett, Westmount, Richview, Richmond Gardens, Willowridge, Renforth Gateway, Convair, Silver Dart, and Pearson Airport.

View attachment 273202

All good except Eglinton Flats. Theres already an Eglinton station on the line, and I hate station names that mention the very street you are travelling on, it doesnt help at all in terms of getting your bearings

All good except Eglinton Flats. Theres already an Eglinton station on the line, and I hate station names that mention the very street you are travelling on, it doesnt help at all in terms of getting your bearings
I think Eglinton Flats is fine, since its specifically named after a specific location, rather than being directly after the street.

The Dayan Pagoda metro station in Xi'an, Northwest China's Shaanxi Province has this on the wall on the station.

64c7f341-df8b-4690-a0a0-ef6e1bea6714.jpeg

Pictured is a mural at Exit C of Dayan Pagoda metro station in Xi'an, Northwest China's Shaanxi Province depicting the Buddhist monk Xuanzang's anachronistic visit to the Taj Mahal of India. From link.
I don't know what would look better on the mural. Sun Wukong (Monkey King) flying on a cloud or the Taj Mahal?

Doug Ford could very well be standing in front of Neuschwanstein Castle thinking that it's Casa Loma.

I don't know what would look better on the mural. Sun Wukong (Monkey King) flying on a cloud or the Taj Mahal?

Doug Ford could very well be standing in front of Neuschwanstein Castle thinking that it's Casa Loma.

For those who were unable to travel to Germany to see the Neuschwanstein Castle because of COVID-19, or don't what the heck it is...

1280px-Schloss_Neuschwanstein_2013.jpg

From link.

And these are the same people who say that Doug Ford is delaying transit in Toronto yet tried to do so themselves just now. And even then like @toronto647 mentioned, Ford probably wouldn't bow the council's demands and would continue on with the line. We're less than a year away from construction. Yes buried is not the best way forward, but we need to get something done once and for all.

Last edited:
And these are the same people who say that Doug Ford is delaying transit in Toronto yet tried to do so themselves just now. And even then like @toronto647 mentioned, Ford probably wouldn't bow the council's demands and continue on with the line. We're less than a year away from construction. Yes buried is not the best way forward, but we need to get something done once and for all.

Yeah. The opponents of underground Eg West certainly have a point, but their motion was designed to fail because of the way they worded it.

They should have said, "ask the province to consider a modified version that provides grade-separation at the critical intersections, but avoids the full cost of tunneling". At least, that formula could pass the City Council vote. Whether Doug would listen is a separate matter, but they would have had the formal backing of the City.

Yeah. The opponents of underground Eg West certainly have a point, but their motion was designed to fail because of the way they worded it.

They should have said, "ask the province to consider a modified version that provides grade-separation at the critical intersections, but avoids the full cost of tunneling". At least, that formula could pass the City Council vote. Whether Doug would listen is a separate matter, but they would have had the formal backing of the City.
This so much. If they proposed an elevated route, I would consider supporting it. However based off their wording it sounds like they want an at-grade solution which I will not be supporting period.

This project is going through, along with the Scarborough Subway. I do not care if it's a bad idea, I'm just surprised we're this close. all the planning is basically done
This so much. If they proposed an elevated route, I would consider supporting it. However based off their wording it sounds like they want an at-grade solution which I will not be supporting period.

Wait - hold up, this is moving really fast :O So, by the looks of it, Line 5 west is going to be the next subway project going under construction. ML already released RFPs to companies for advanced tunnelling this summer. So, it's final that this will be (mostly) tunnelled? Although i support elevation, if all of the "planning" is essentially finished and they're well prepared to tunnel, wouldn't switching to fully elevated at this point simply delay things further?

Btw, is the planned elevated section a continuous section from Mt. Dennis to a portal west of Scarlett, or is it dipping underground at Mt. Dennis and reappearing above before Jane as suggested by ML's map?

Wait - hold up, this is moving really fast :O So, by the looks of it, Line 5 west is going to be the next subway project going under construction. ML already released RFPs to companies for advanced tunnelling this summer. So, it's final that this will be (mostly) tunnelled? Although i support elevation, if all of the "planning" is essentially finished and they're well prepared to tunnel, wouldn't switching to fully elevated at this point simply delay things further?

Btw, is the planned elevated section a continuous section from Mt. Dennis to a portal west of Scarlett, or is it dipping underground at Mt. Dennis and reappearing above before Jane as suggested by ML's map?

Of course it is fast - the government want to lock in as an underground build. I am sure they could have done it just as quickly elevated if they had wanted it.

AoD

The SSE will start construction at the same time as the EWLRT. After leaving Mount Dennis, the line is underground briefly and emerges to an elevated viaduct before Jane Street. (Using TBM's for some reason) The line is elevated until it heads into a tunnel portal west of Scarlett Road.

Back