News   Aug 13, 2020
 138     0 
News   Aug 13, 2020
 330     0 

Eglinton West LRT | Metrolinx

syn

Member Bio
Reaction score
Thats very interesting they would financially close Eglinton West LRT before the Ontario Line. Also federal government hasn't supported the extension financially either. Seems like Trudeau will wait and see who wins the 2022 election then decide on supporting billion $ projects. If so its very questionable a financial close happens in Spring 2021
Doug knows where his bread is buttered.

TheTigerMaster

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Steve Munro on the topic (see Eglinton Crosstown):

Apparently, the financial close for the tunnel construction is scheduled for Spring 2021. The tunneling might start before the elections.
I must say that I am tremendously impressed with how rapidly this proposal is moving forward. Two years from approval to construction is virtually unheard of in this city (at least in recent history).

sixrings

Member Bio
Reaction score
I must say that I am tremendously impressed with how rapidly this proposal is moving forward. Two years from approval to construction is virtually unheard of in this city (at least in recent history).
Some politicians build transit to their front doors (Mel Lastman & Doug Ford) and are considered hero's. Others propose to build transit for others (David Miller) and are considered villains.

The elite should learn that "nobody" wants anything built but "subways, subways, subways."

Ciarlandini

Member Bio
Reaction score
Some politicians build transit to their front doors (Mel Lastman & Doug Ford) and are considered hero's. Others propose to build transit for others (David Miller) and are considered villains.

The elite should learn that "nobody" wants anything built but "subways, subways, subways."
Well, Ford's "doorstep" is a transit desert in need of relief.

Amare

Member Bio
Reaction score
Well, Ford's "doorstep" is a transit desert in need of relief.
Relief of what exactly? Is there a need to another connection to Pearson airport? Most definitely. Is Eglinton West a congested mess with commuters clamoring for transit relief? Not necessarily.

Nevertheless I just want transit built in this city for once in my lifetime, i'm tired of the pointless squabbling politicians do because they have no idea what they're talking about on the transit file which leads to decades of delays.

Last edited:

urbanyimby

Member Bio
Reaction score
Relief of what exactly? Is there a need to another connection to Pearson airport? Most definitely. Is Eglinton West a congested mess with commuters clamoring for transit relief? Not necessarily.

Nevertheless I just want transit built in this city for once in my lifetime, i'm tired of the pointless squabbling politicians do because they have no idea what they're talking about on the transit file which leads to decades of delays.
Clearly you've forgotten that TYSSE has opened just 2.5 years ago

Amare

Member Bio
Reaction score
And hopefully all those projects that have been listed above arent the final grand total of transit projects that will be built the rest of all our lifetimes. Because who knows, next thing you know we can be starved from transit builds for the next 30+ years the way things go in Ontario.

Like they say, never trust plans or construction until more than 1 station hole has been built. That way, the project cant be backfilled ;)

11th

Member Bio
Reaction score

Buses are transit, so are LRTs, and also "subways". Miller failed on that because he went for an LRT-for-all plan - even for previously planned grade-separated corridor(s); coupled with having a bad salesperson team on Transit City.

sixrings

Member Bio
Reaction score
Buses are transit, so are LRTs, and also "subways". Miller failed on that because he went for an LRT-for-all plan - even for previously planned grade-separated corridor(s); coupled with having a bad salesperson team on Transit City.
Miller had a Bus plan as well. Hard to sell LRT when people kept calling them street cars. People on this thread can't seem to figure out the difference so good luck with the average person. Plus Ford's plan was basically subways subways and only subways. His plan wasn't any more diverse. The only reason LRTs are being built is because it costs money to break every single contract. Transit city should have been up and running by now. LRT might not be perfect but it's better than what we currently have.

Steve X

Member Bio
Reaction score
Miller had a Bus plan as well. Hard to sell LRT when people kept calling them street cars. People on this thread can't seem to figure out the difference so good luck with the average person. Plus Ford's plan was basically subways subways and only subways. His plan wasn't any more diverse. The only reason LRTs are being built is because it costs money to break every single contract. Transit city should have been up and running by now. LRT might not be perfect but it's better than what we currently have.
Part of the Tranist City Bus Plan (TCBP) is implemented including 10 minute frequent network, express network, LCD display at bus stops and new bus stop markers. Others like improved bus shelters we are starting to see with Access Hubs and the slow implementation of bus jump lanes made a tiny progress.

Other important points mention in the TCBP hasn't quite made any progress such as the 20 minute all day everyday improvement (remains 30 min today). Also barely any transit priority have been introduced in one whole decade. BRT remains off limits.

ARG1

Member Bio
Reaction score
So what you're saying is that since 2010 not much has happened yet people think conservatives are their answer to transit utopia. Meanwhile I seem to notice the 401 gets wider and wider.
401 gets widened most likely because the MTO isn't really intermingled with political squabbling and can pretty much do whatever they want as long as its in their budget.