Toronto Eglinton Line 5 Crosstown West Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Given the doubts about Toronto implementing appropriate TSP on Eglinton east on Don Mills, we might have no choice but to tunnel the western extension. Just the unfortunate way we do transit in this city.

Last edited:
Given the doubts about Toronto implementing appropriate TSP on Eglinton east on Don Mills, we might have no choice but to tunnel the western extension. Just the unfortunate way we go transit in this city.
I don't oppose tunneling IMO but I'm leaning towards elevating the line all the way to the airport. Since Metrolinx at this point won't change anything, I'm hoping they could still go for using the cut and cover method for tunneling instead of TBM's to save costs.

I don't oppose tunneling IMO but I'm leaning towards elevating the line all the way to the airport. Since Metrolinx at this point won't change anything, I'm hoping they could still go for using the cut and cover method for tunneling instead of TBM's to save costs.

Unlikely. Being close to Doug Ford's home, he'll want to feel no "noise" or "vibration" by passing trains. So has to be deep underground to appease him.

So sayeth Doug...
DiscreteWealthyDuckling.webp

From link.

Unlikely. Being close to Doug Ford's home, he'll want to feel no "noise" or "vibration" by passing trains. So has to be deep underground to appease him.

yeah, but that's not exclusive to Etobicoke. Subways all over the city have gotten deeper over the years, even out in the suburbs where deep tunneling is not justified.

yeah, but that's not exclusive to Etobicoke. Subways all over the city have gotten deeper over the years, even out in the suburbs where deep tunneling is not justified.

There may not be noise and vibration when it first opens, but over time there could be. Line 2 was built cut-and-cover.

From 2018...
TTC says it’s working on fix for increased Line 2 subway noise, vibration after complaints

See link.

And from 2019...
TTC turns to federal researchers amid new complaints about excessive subway noise, vibration

See link.

There may not be noise and vibration when it first opens, but over time there could be. Line 2 was built cut-and-cover.

From 2018...
TTC says it’s working on fix for increased Line 2 subway noise, vibration after complaints

See link.

And from 2019...
TTC turns to federal researchers amid new complaints about excessive subway noise, vibration

See link.

Right, then why bash only Etobicoke when residents in another part of the city already complained about the same thing? lol

Last edited:
Right, then why bash only Etobicoke when residents in another part of the city already complained about the same thing? lol
I think WK is pretty consistent that there is no NEED for underground in suburb areas and most of the time it's just vote buying or in this case it's because Ford's don't like the sight of transit. But its hard to catch the sarcasm if youre new to the thread. Welcome though.

I know, I've been lurking for a few years lol
he's bashing Etobicoke for something B-D residents have already done; I just don't see the point of bashing solely Etobicoke. I agree suburban transit should be a mix of elevated, trenched and at grade.

I know, I've been lurking for a few years lol
he's bashing Etobicoke for something B-D residents have already done; I just don't see the point of bashing solely Etobicoke. I agree suburban transit should be a mix of elevated, trenched and at grade.
I think he's bashing Doug more than etobicoke but Wk can speak for themself

I feel like if the line is to go to the airport, it needs to be tunnelled/elevated/etc. If the line stops at Renforth (permanently) and so is not used as a main route to the airport, tunnelling is a waste of effort. It would be better in that case to have a bus route to complete the journey to serve the local community.

I feel like if the line is to go to the airport, it needs to be tunnelled/elevated/etc. If the line stops at Renforth (permanently) and so is not used as a main route to the airport, tunnelling is a waste of effort. It would be better in that case to have a bus route to complete the journey to serve the local community.
Depends on the progress of the regional transit centre at Pearson. Metrolinx is counting on the regional transit centre so they could bring the line to the airport. The current RFQ have tunneling works to Renforth but I'm not sure if the airport segment will be constructed by 2030-31.

Thought may have been done on expanding and extending the Terminal Link, but they maybe going with the Transit Hub at Pearson Airport instead. See link.

...travel between Terminals 1 and 3, or to go to the Sheraton Gateway Hotel, ALT Hotel or the Viscount Station and Value Park Garage and Lot. Terminal Link runs 24 hours a day and travel time between stations is two to eight minutes.

viscount_airport_map1.jpg

From link.

A floodway could have been built along the hydro corridor parallel to Willowridge Road from the 401 to Eglinton just east of Mimico Creek as well.

You would think that it would make the most sense to tunnel to just past the 401/427/Eglinton spaghetti junction and travel at-grade or elevated on the north side of Eglinton, but I'm unsure about whether there would be enough space for a launch/extraction shaft between Eglinton and the highway. From a quick look on Google Maps it looks like there should be space right around here but I'm not sure what kind of clearances are needed, although based on where the launch shafts were for the Crosstown, this should be more than enough space.
View attachment 251686
Good idea. I think there is even more merit in moving this portal East of Mimico Creek. That way you eliminate all the hassle of dealing with water. You also save over a kilometer of tunneling.
1593100884482.png

Last edited:

Back