362     0 
News   Jul 14, 2020
 727     0 

Eglinton West LRT | Metrolinx

robmausser

Member Bio
Reaction score
I disagree.

The downtown stations like Liberty, St.Clair, Unilever, Gerrard etc had the most value as far as I am concerned.

With proper fare integration mind you.

junctionist

Member Bio
Reaction score
I disagree.

The downtown stations like Liberty, St.Clair, Unilever, Gerrard etc had the most value as far as I am concerned.

With proper fare integration mind you.
We'd have amazing transit if your TTC fare could get you on one of these trains without additional charges (or some nominal amount like $0.25).

That's also how you drive ridership up to make the project look successful and like a good use of taxpayers' dollars to justify further service increases. If people balk at the suggestion, consider this: if it was a TTC subway line, no one would ask you to pay a separate fare. So why not integrate the fares, increase the service, and avoid having to build a more expensive subway line that both Toronto and GTA residents would have to pay for?

The fact that it can take you just as long to travel 10 km to downtown in Toronto by TTC as it takes someone to travel 30 km by GO is terrible. Rather than spending billions on subways, we could improve the situation considerably with RER that's fully integrated with the TTC. It would also make it possible for more people in the suburbs to commute to workplaces that aren't within walking distance of GO stations.

Everyone wins.

robmausser

Member Bio
Reaction score
We'd have amazing transit if your TTC fare could get you on one of these trains without additional charges (or some nominal amount like $0.25).

That's also how you drive ridership up to make the project look successful and like a good use of taxpayers' dollars to justify further service increases. If people balk at the suggestion, consider this: if it was a TTC subway line, no one would ask you to pay a separate fare. So why not integrate the fares, increase the service, and avoid having to build a more expensive subway line that both Toronto and GTA residents would have to pay for?

The fact that it can take you just as long to travel 10 km to downtown in Toronto by TTC as it takes someone to travel 30 km by GO is terrible. Rather than spending billions on subways, we could improve the situation considerably with RER that's fully integrated with the TTC. It would also make it possible for more people in the suburbs to commute to workplaces that aren't within walking distance of GO stations.

Everyone wins.
Yes, 100%

Unfortunately the way government is setup, the right hand and left hand dont speak

Those in charge of capital cost projects are not communicating with the people who set fare and maintenance, ongoing costs etc.

More ridership = new subway line. Not "lets look at the big picture and how we can use the existing system to its fullest potential"

And I get it, a new subway line is sexy, you can look back at your political legacy and point to some physical thing you built. Maybe when you die they will rename it after you. Fixing whats existing but broken doesn't get the same zeal.

Plus, red tape. Trying to get all these different arms of the government to agree on things, is a nightmare. Its easier to just plow ahead with a multi billion dollar subway line.

Who cares? Its the taxpayers money anyways.

Steve X

Member Bio
Reaction score
Last edited:

ARG1

Member Bio
Reaction score
Nice. They have a plan now.

The Renforth Station connection (now underground/below grade) makes a lot more sense than the old on street connection. So it does look like it's a full subway between Renforth and Mt Dennis
Well technically its not a full subway since the section at Jane is above ground but yes you are correct.

lead82

Member Bio
Reaction score
What a collossal waste of money. This could have been done much more cost-effective if it was above ground or heck even elevated.

Amare

Member Bio
Reaction score
Is there a reason why they want to go with twin bore tunnels yet again, and not single bore?

I would think that single bore would save a lot on costs, no?

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Well, Doug Ford could be getting his biggest desire fulfilled. He will not see the peasants as they use the underground rapid transit vehicles as he drives himself in his SUV in his Kipling Avenue and Eglinton Avenue West neighbourhood.

Towered

Member Bio
Reaction score
I wish there was a plan for an additional north-south rapid transit line in it's own ROW in Etobicoke. Kipling is the most logical choice. A BRT could be installed quickly and cheaply and upgraded later if necessary.

robmausser

Member Bio
Reaction score
I wish there was a plan for an additional north-south rapid transit line in it's own ROW in Etobicoke. Kipling is the most logical choice. A BRT could be installed quickly and cheaply and upgraded later if necessary.
It was in the works years ago. I wish the plan would come back. Connecting it to Renforth would be the most logical choice. Could also go south along the Campa Sub

Last edited: