News   Jan 25, 2021
 865     0 
News   Jan 25, 2021
 492     2 

Eglinton West LRT | Metrolinx

Coolstar

Member Bio
Reaction score
No, that was a quick cellphone pic from an open house handout that I remembered sitting in a folder for the last 27 years. I'll try to remember to scan the whole thing, which is kind of interesting. The light grey bits of the line were possibly to be elevated, the rest underground.

I recall very vividly that a nice old Italian man with endearingly broken English completely turned the attendees against elevated by waving his arms and saying "under not over, under not over."
Ah that's okay. Oh well at least the Italian guy got his wish granted under Doug Ford.

urbanyimby

Member Bio
Reaction score
Initial Business Case

Steve X

Member Bio
Reaction score
Ah, but he will be stuck behind the 32 bus because the preferred option can't provide enough local stops.

- Paul
Especially since Eglinton doesn't have bus/right turning lanes at stops. That creates a significant amount of congestion currently.

AlvinofDiaspar

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hey, the bright side is they are going to pass a law to ease expropriation right? Make sure it gets applied to the properties along this stretch that blocks the Richview corridor when the new government rolls around ?

AoD

crs1026

Member Bio
Reaction score
Here's a comparison to the financials from the TTC/Toronto City report of a year back, and the current bcs. My, how the costs have risen. If this were Hamilton, we'd be cancelling the project altogether. But being Doug's part of town, we are now heading underground.

Caveat - the exact specs of the four options may not align between the two studies.

- Paul

Screen Shot 2020-02-28 at 4.26.03 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-02-28 at 4.23.04 PM.png

Last edited:

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
To lower costs, I can see them using cut-and-cover west of Scarlett Road. There is enough room to shift the roadway to the north and use part of the south "linear park". It is not "officially" a park, except for the bikepath (which will be shifted). See link.

crs1026

Member Bio
Reaction score
I can't imagine why they would do anything but cut and cover....unless there are some spectacular sewers and water lines along there, there's no reason to duck under anything. The cost of those deep excavations isn't justified.

One hopes also that they would let the line come back to the surface where the topography allows - Eglinton has a few dips that don't require the line to be underground. It's only the major intersections where being underground might have some benefit.

- Paul