801     0 
News   Sep 25, 2020
 393     0 

Eglinton West LRT | Metrolinx

warrens

Member Bio
Reaction score
So, no.

Drilling and survey work is not the same as construction. If they are not moving utilities or actually digging the tunnels or the station boxes, construction has not begun in my books.
You asked if there were "shovels in the ground", not "are they building subway stations". I gave you the correct, factual answer, which is "yes" -- there are actual, literal shovels in the actual, literal ground, today, on February 18, 2020. Head on over to the site at Cherry just south of the loop right now if you want to go see.

Even in the prior Relief Line project, we wouldn't be anywhere near the tunneling or station building phase. Still lots to do before any of that can happen, no matter what the configuration is.

And frankly, I'd be more concerned with questions around how the line is going to cross the Don River twice, and whether or not it's feasible to safely run the proposed 100m x 3m subway trains overground in the middle of Overlea Drive, than whether or not they're digging holes for subway stations!

CapitalSeven

Member Bio
Reaction score
You have a link for that? I would like to take a look at it further.
No, that was a quick cellphone pic from an open house handout that I remembered sitting in a folder for the last 27 years. I'll try to remember to scan the whole thing, which is kind of interesting. The light grey bits of the line were possibly to be elevated, the rest underground.

I recall very vividly that a nice old Italian man with endearingly broken English completely turned the attendees against elevated by waving his arms and saying "under not over, under not over."

Coolstar

Member Bio
Reaction score
No, that was a quick cellphone pic from an open house handout that I remembered sitting in a folder for the last 27 years. I'll try to remember to scan the whole thing, which is kind of interesting. The light grey bits of the line were possibly to be elevated, the rest underground.

I recall very vividly that a nice old Italian man with endearingly broken English completely turned the attendees against elevated by waving his arms and saying "under not over, under not over."
Ah that's okay. Oh well at least the Italian guy got his wish granted under Doug Ford.

Steve X

Member Bio
Reaction score
Ah, but he will be stuck behind the 32 bus because the preferred option can't provide enough local stops.

- Paul
Especially since Eglinton doesn't have bus/right turning lanes at stops. That creates a significant amount of congestion currently.

AlvinofDiaspar

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hey, the bright side is they are going to pass a law to ease expropriation right? Make sure it gets applied to the properties along this stretch that blocks the Richview corridor when the new government rolls around ?

AoD

crs1026

Member Bio
Reaction score
Here's a comparison to the financials from the TTC/Toronto City report of a year back, and the current bcs. My, how the costs have risen. If this were Hamilton, we'd be cancelling the project altogether. But being Doug's part of town, we are now heading underground.

Caveat - the exact specs of the four options may not align between the two studies.

- Paul

Screen Shot 2020-02-28 at 4.26.03 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-02-28 at 4.23.04 PM.png

Last edited: