News   Jun 01, 2020
 817     3 
News   Jun 01, 2020
 671     0 

Eglinton West LRT | Metrolinx

cplchanb

Member Bio
Reaction score
Takes time to grade separate. Doing it the right way. The Ford way.
You'd think that they would've applied lessons learned from ect to find shortcuts and optimizations.....the project timeline is almost the same as the current one. And they dont even need to tunnel much

sixrings

Member Bio
Reaction score
You'd think that they would've applied lessons learned from ect to find shortcuts and optimizations.....the project timeline is almost the same as the current one. And they dont even need to tunnel much
Hard to think straight after eating all that gravy

cplchanb

Member Bio
Reaction score
10 years for what should be an easy surface extension to an existing line.

How many subways did Madrid build in that time??
China could do Beijing to Shanghai hsr over 3 times over in 10 years...... fail

Last edited by a moderator:

BurlOak

Member Bio
Reaction score
If you count the original Eglinton Subway in 1995, it took 35 years to build this line to it's full potential.
Also a bit surprising that the portion that the NDP prioritized as underground, the Liberals proposed as on-street - and now it will be elevated (?).

Coolstar

Member Bio
Reaction score
Also a bit surprising that the portion that the NDP prioritized as underground, the Liberals proposed as on-street - and now it will be elevated (?).
At this point I'd imagine Metrolinx planning to make it elevated at both ends of the line and underground in the middle. If they make it on-street before the line goes underground, it wouldn't make sense considering the space on Eglinton West.

BurlOak

Member Bio
Reaction score
At this point I'd imagine Metrolinx planning to make it elevated at both ends of the line and underground in the middle. If they make it on-street before the line goes underground, it wouldn't make sense considering the space on Eglinton West.
I think they might have it the on-street part through Golden Mile was not started when the PC's got in. As it is, that on-street portion through Golden Mile ensures that nothing will be extended farther East (unless paid entirely by the City).

TheTigerMaster

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
10 years for what should be an easy surface extension to an existing line.

How many subways did Madrid build in that time??
Meh. Sounds like a dead project to me.

At this point, I'm convinced the only Toronto rapid transit project the government has any intention of attempting to deliver is the Ontario Line. They have absolutely no sense of urgency regarding the other projects. The Scarborough Subway and YNSE in particular have zero signs of life at this point. Not sure if the government is just being hush hush, or if these projects have just been punted to the back burner. Reminds me a lot of the lull before the Liberals cancelled the Sheppard LRT without telling anybody

The Scarborough Subway situation in particular concerns me. Up until the new provincial government was formed, the TTC was working at a fairly frantic pace to have the SSE delivered prior to the Line 3 decomissioning. The new government came in, uploaded the project, and now... crickets.

Last edited by a moderator:

micheal_can

Member Bio
Reaction score
Meh. Sounds like a dead project to me.

At this point, I'm convinced the only Toronto rapid transit project the government has any intention of attempting to deliver is the Ontario Line. They have absolutely no sense of urgency regarding the other projects. The Scarborough Subway and YNSE in particular have zero signs of life at this point. Not sure if the government is just being hush hush, or if these projects have just been punted to the back burner. Reminds me a lot of the lull before the Liberals cancelled the Sheppard LRT without telling anybody
I feel this is just stalling till the next election. Then they have something to promise.

Rainforest

Member Bio
Reaction score
I feel this is just stalling till the next election. Then they have something to promise.
I have the same feeling. Should they lose in 2022, all those subways will no longer be their problem. The next government will "review" everything once again.

If they stay in power in 2022, then they might actually start moving forward. Having improved their balance sheets due to the delayed spending on transit construction.

They can't afford to do nothing at all though, hence they chose to push ahead with the OL.

Steve X

Member Bio
Reaction score
GTA became trash at building subways. So Vancouver can plan to complete the 6km Broadway subway in 5 years, why does it take 10 years here? ML and the Liberals set a bad example with the Crosstown by slowing down the cash flow and do the tunnels in 5 years than another 5 for the stations. The approach seem to have spread to every future projects.

No I don't agree that the PCs are just buffing. They'll tender all 4 projects for empty tunnels. They'll all complete in 2025-27 with no stations, tracks or trains just like the Crosstown did. The next government would be stuck with them and if they fail to deliver, they'll take the blame.

robmausser

Member Bio
Reaction score
If you count the original Eglinton Subway in 1995, it took 35 years to build this line to it's full potential.
I mean the Eglinton subway only was planned from Eglinton West station to Mount Dennis.

So, its hard to say specifically how you could extrapolate that into a timeline with the full system.

Maybe take 15 years off the 35 years?