News   Dec 13, 2019
 1.6K     4 
News   Dec 13, 2019
 779     1 

Eglinton West LRT | Metrolinx

tmlittle

Member Bio
Reaction score
I think there's also an argument for decent shelter design aside from heaters, but it's tough to try to squeeze a proper sealed shelter that doesn't let wind pass through onto an island platform.

Steve X

Member Bio
Reaction score
I think there's also an argument for decent shelter design aside from heaters, but it's tough to try to squeeze a proper sealed shelter that doesn't let wind pass through onto an island platform.
It shouldn't be a problem since island platforms should be around 6m wide. They have heated shelter at UPX stations, this wouldn't be a first for ML.

tmlittle

Member Bio
Reaction score
I don't think ION platforms are 6m wide and the shelters on them are pretty cramped, but ION stations are also pretty barebones compared to the proposed ones for Toronto LRT projects. Several of them do have heaters, though the wind chill factor coming in through the doorway probably just about negates them.

crs1026

Member Bio
Reaction score
^Just getting out of the wind/rain may be as important as anything. Better shelter design rather than heaters may be the answer.

Here we are in one thread debating carbon mitigation as an urgent matter, and wanting to add carbon-laden heaters in another.

What’s the carbon footprint of a fully heated transit station?

I love heated shelters when I find one on a cold night, but I have to admit, this is Canada, after all.

- Paul

raptor

Member Bio
Reaction score
19-178 - Technical Advisory Services for the Eglinton Crosstown West Extension Project

DESCRIPTION
Announced by the Government of Ontario in April 2019, the Eglinton Crosstown
West Extension project (the “Project”) is a new rapid transit line in the GTA. The
Project will extend the Eglinton Crosstown Line further west from Mount Dennis
to the eastern end of the Mississauga Transitway at Renforth Gate and with
possible extension to Toronto Pearson International Airport.
In order to support this initiative, the Technical Advisor shall provide technical
advisory services in relation to the Project as described in the Scope of Services.
A critical component of the Services involves reviewing, evaluating and
challenging current information and approaches to foster greater efficiency,
innovation and improvements to project delivery.

robmausser

Member Bio
Reaction score
^Just getting out of the wind/rain may be as important as anything. Better shelter design rather than heaters may be the answer.

Here we are in one thread debating carbon mitigation as an urgent matter, and wanting to add carbon-laden heaters in another.

What’s the carbon footprint of a fully heated transit station?

I love heated shelters when I find one on a cold night, but I have to admit, this is Canada, after all.

- Paul
The heated shelters are electric. Considering that 90% of Ontarios electricity comes from zero carbon sources, the footprint would be extremely low.

There are also smart heater designs; for example, and this is something a lot of people fail to understand on this board, infrared heaters DO NOT heat the shelter or air. Thats simply NOT HOW THEY WORK. They use infrared light, photons, to heat ONLY the subject that stands under them.

You can design these heaters to be motion activated, or have a button, so they only heat when someone requests. They use very little energy compared to forced air heat. Air is a terrible transfer of heat and energy.

Kyle Campbell

Member Bio
Reaction score
Agreed. It will likely break and not be fixed. Or be fixed and keep breaking. So I don't get the point. Just wear mitts and a hat.
They are fairly simple and reliable things. Heaters have been in most of Ottawa's stations since the 80s, and it's extremely rare to see them broken. It's nothing compared to how often elevators and escalators, or even shelter glass needs maintenance

Towered

Member Bio
Reaction score
Anytime I have to squeeze myself onto a packed Islington bus heading towards the subway, I think to myself, "only 2 more years until the Eglinton Crosstown opens and takes a bunch of these riders off the bus before it gets to me!" only to realize, "oh wait..."

Thanks, McGuinty.

sixrings

Member Bio
Reaction score
They are fairly simple and reliable things. Heaters have been in most of Ottawa's stations since the 80s, and it's extremely rare to see them broken. It's nothing compared to how often elevators and escalators, or even shelter glass needs maintenance
Just increase the frequency of the trains so you don't have to wait in the cold so much. And wear a hat and mitts.

I lived in Calgary at a time where the trains ran once every 15 mins and it was often minus 30. That's a whole different situation.

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Anytime I have to squeeze myself onto a packed Islington bus heading towards the subway, I think to myself, "only 2 more years until the Eglinton Crosstown opens and takes a bunch of these riders off the bus before it gets to me!" only to realize, "oh wait..."

Thanks, McGuinty.
Or the Finch West LRT. That'll be three rapid transit routes. Now if only there was a GO Train station along Islington.

Coolstar

Member Bio
Reaction score

Thanks, McGuinty.
You should thank Harris too

Towered

Member Bio
Reaction score
Or the Finch West LRT. That'll be three rapid transit routes. Now if only there was a GO Train station along Islington.
I'm surprised there isn't one in the works for Bloor and Islington considering all the towers going up there. Maybe once the lines are electrified it will be strongly considered.