1K     3 
News   Dec 13, 2019
 572     1 

Eglinton West LRT | Metrolinx

innsertnamehere

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Yup. Metrolinx will be taking over planning and procurement, and my understanding is that their focus is on the DRL right now. I imagine this one will pick up soon enough.

WislaHD

Member Bio
Reaction score
Eglinton is nice and green, I agree. But measure the distance from Plant World to an ATM, convenience store, let alone pharmacy. Or an actual playing ground where one can throw a frisbee around, away from traffic. Restaurant? Grocery store? LCBO?

Maybe the new development will negotiate a back door route to LaRose plaza. Otherwise it’s a 1 km walk around the long way. That’s equally true for the rest of the neighbourhood, so perhaps there are many who like their neighbourhood bland. But it’s a long LRT ride to a Subway, even.

- Paul
Would it be too big of an ask to raze the entire mega-block (Royal York --> Scarlett Road, Eglinton --> La Rose Ave) and start anew? :oops:

WislaHD

Member Bio
Reaction score
I fail to understand how that's necessary.
Post was made in jest. It is private property so my dreams of playing sim city in the area would require heavy expropriation or rise of totalitarian dictatorship, whichever that proves more prudent.

I do think the area could do with a master-plan redesign of local street grid, parks placement, commercial and institutional placement, integration with local street network and future Crosstown West transit, along with new setback standards, so basically something like the Golden Mile Master Plan in Crosstown East. The existing high-rises are kept in place in the short-term, but redevelopment potential and standards can be prescribed.

44 North

Member Bio
Reaction score
Anyone think it'd be a good idea for Eglinton West to be a completely separate line from Crosstown? Hear me out. We know the Prov now wants this to be fully grade-separated (ie a "subway"). But since it's connected to the rest of Crosstown the line wouldn't be a subway by default. This could actually be one. Two car trains. Sort of makes sense to do it this way since 1) Crosstown uses hefty low-floor vehicles designed for urban tram use. Not exactly a vehicle befitting of full grade-separation in the suburbs. And 2) Crosstown east of Kennedy is dead, all configurations. So the line is really a shell of its former vision with room to play around. Also full Crosstown stations would be 90m long, this would be half those lengths (less cost).

But there's more. Sauga has done some heavy lifting with Transitway grade-separation between Renforth and Hurontario. This could lead into that (one day), just needs a proper connection to Sq One. Also one day, a N/S subway of the same system running from Kipling to Pearson - this is integral to the vision and the reason I posted. It'd be an integrated network of smaller automated subways serving 427 corridor-East/West Mall, Pearson, Eg West, and Sauga. Be a bent cross shape, about 30km, four services: Sq One-Kipling, Sq One-Black Ck, Kipling-Pearson, Pearson-Black Ck. Drawbacks, yes. But huge benefit.

micheal_can

Member Bio
Reaction score
Anyone think it'd be a good idea for Eglinton West to be a completely separate line from Crosstown? Hear me out. We know the Prov now wants this to be fully grade-separated (ie a "subway"). But since it's connected to the rest of Crosstown the line wouldn't be a subway by default. This could actually be one. Two car trains. Sort of makes sense to do it this way since 1) Crosstown uses hefty low-floor vehicles designed for urban tram use. Not exactly a vehicle befitting of full grade-separation in the suburbs. And 2) Crosstown east of Kennedy is dead, all configurations. So the line is really a shell of its former vision with room to play around. Also full Crosstown stations would be 90m long, this would be half those lengths (less cost).

But there's more. Sauga has done some heavy lifting with Transitway grade-separation between Renforth and Hurontario. This could lead into that (one day), just needs a proper connection to Sq One. Also one day, a N/S subway of the same system running from Kipling to Pearson - this is integral to the vision and the reason I posted. It'd be an integrated network of smaller automated subways serving 427 corridor-East/West Mall, Pearson, Eg West, and Sauga. Be a bent cross shape, about 30km, four services: Sq One-Kipling, Sq One-Black Ck, Kipling-Pearson, Pearson-Black Ck. Drawbacks, yes. But huge benefit.
It all should be he same then this would allow for people to continue without a hard transfer.

BurlOak

Member Bio
Reaction score
Anyone think it'd be a good idea for Eglinton West to be a completely separate line from Crosstown? Hear me out. We know the Prov now wants this to be fully grade-separated (ie a "subway"). But since it's connected to the rest of Crosstown the line wouldn't be a subway by default. This could actually be one.
Maybe like this?