News   Oct 27, 2021
 1K     0 
News   Oct 27, 2021
 529     0 

Eglinton West LRT | Metrolinx

DopeyFish

Member Bio
Reaction score
Anyone have a time frame for when construction is expected to start?

I think *technically* it already has but it's mostly prep work

boring the tunnels starts next spring/summer and I don't think there's been a contract awarded to anyone to do the stations/elevated track yet

edit: the expectation is completion will be around 2030.

Obsidian

Member Bio
Reaction score
Already started with the prep work, dated July 13, 2021.

From link.
Thank you
I think *technically* it already has but it's mostly prep work

boring the tunnels starts next spring/summer and I don't think there's been a contract awarded to anyone to do the stations/elevated track yet

edit: the expectation is completion will be around 2030.
Can't believe it will take 8 years of actual construction for just a short section

toronto647

Member Bio
Reaction score

Steve X

Member Bio
Reaction score
Can't believe it will take 8 years of actual construction for just a short section
This tiny extension at 9.2km is in fact longer than the TYSSE, SSE, YNSE, almost the same length as the "subway" portion of the Crosstown and 2/3 of OL. The tunnel between Renforth to Scarlett and the OL tunnel from Exhibition to Distillery is about the same length at 6.5km.

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
To add on to what @Steve X said, the initial Yonge Subway which opened in 1954 was 7.4km from Eglinton to Union. This extension is longer than even that.
The original subway had twelve stations spread over those 7.4 km. The 9.2 km has eight stations. The last additional section to the Pearson Transit Hub could be one to three stations (Convair, Silver Dart, Pearson Transit Hub), depending on the powers-that-be's wishes.

3_Wishes.jpg
From link.

EnviroTO

Member Bio
Reaction score
It's Doug Ford's neighourhood. Has to be underground and quiet.
Absolutely. It is all very well thought out and technical. The flowchart that guides the above ground, at grade, and below ground decision tree is something to behold I am sure. LRT in a wide open space through some of the least dense space, with long distances between intersections, and where almost nobody would be looking out their window at this thing is clearly something that any well thought out decision tree would put underground. Now a larger vehicle through some of the densest high rise areas with a need to connect with an underground stop... obviously above ground! The Doug Ford Metrolinx Grade Selection Decision Tree version 2.75.

cplchanb

Member Bio
Reaction score

allengeorge

Member Bio
Reaction score
“Sirois said lack of parking, coupled with “aggressive enforcement”, is another significant problem as not everyone who comes to the area will choose to use public transit.”

[sigh] And this, from the head of one of the BIAs.

“ Matlow said in Midtown his focus has been to maintain the village-feel of the community, which includes ensuring housing is thoughtfully planned and affordable.

“I do not want to see developers build tall towers anywhere they want. Mid-rise is the direction we need to go in,"”

Even more sigh. If you want a “village feel”, maybe don’t live along a multi-billion dollar transit route. And this from one of Toronto’s Councillors. No wonder we have a housing crisis in in the city.

Jaye101

Member Bio
Reaction score
“Sirois said lack of parking, coupled with “aggressive enforcement”, is another significant problem as not everyone who comes to the area will choose to use public transit.”

[sigh] And this, from the head of one of the BIAs.

“ Matlow said in Midtown his focus has been to maintain the village-feel of the community, which includes ensuring housing is thoughtfully planned and affordable.

“I do not want to see developers build tall towers anywhere they want. Mid-rise is the direction we need to go in,"”

Even more sigh. If you want a “village feel”, maybe don’t live along a multi-billion dollar transit route. And this from one of Toronto’s Councillors. No wonder we have a housing crisis in in the city.
I don't know if 'village' is the right word. But mid-rises do seem to build more human scaled neighbourhoods. Streets like St Clair West have really shown us that it's possible to add density in a way that's not overbearing - yet still add a lot to the aesthetic of the street.. We should aim for more Parisian style density than a village, however. What ever the hell that even means.