Toronto Eglinton Line 5 Crosstown West Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

The LRVs themselves shall be double ended here. We have seen the problem with turning loops for the downtown streetcars.
How does that particular intersection have any bearing on the streetcar design - there's nothing here but straight track?

And how is the plan to run pairs (or triples) of single-ended cars on Line 5 require turning loops?

How does that particular intersection have any bearing on the streetcar design - there's nothing here but straight track?

And how is the plan to run pairs (or triples) of single-ended cars on Line 5 require turning loops?

All of the Transit City lines, including the Crosstown LRT and its east and west extensions, will use crossovers, NOT loops. And not just at the terminal stations or stops, but at several stations/stops along the way.

alignment_map_w_storage_track.jpg

From link.

The extensions' crossovers still have to be finalized.

All of the Transit City lines, including the Crosstown LRT and its east and west extensions, will use crossovers, NOT loops. And not just at the terminal stations or stops, but at several stations/stops along the way.

alignment_map_w_storage_track.jpg

From link.

The extensions' crossovers still have to be finalized.

I had completely forgot that at-grade storage tracks were proposed. Can someone explain, will we see LRVs sitting on them overnight, or will they be to help provide peak service? Essentially, how will they be used?

I had completely forgot that at-grade storage tracks were proposed. Can someone explain, will we see LRVs sitting on them overnight, or will they be to help provide peak service? Essentially, how will they be used?
Probably not since they will get tagged and vandalized if left unattended overnight. Storage tracks are a slot along the line that is used to hold one whole train without affecting the line. Many for short turns, mechanical issues that they can't move the train at the moment or for whatever reason they want to hold a specific train.

Storing a train in the middle of the line doesn't help when the operators still has to get there to drive it away.

Firstly, that map from the Crosstown website is not perfectly accurate. Like most maps (official and otherwise) I've seen and also descriptions of the line route; this one is quite vague on where the east (Brentcliffe portal) is. Looking at the map, you'd think that the line comes to the surface immediately east of Laird Station. This is not the case. The east portal is between Brentcliffe Road and Leslie Street, at the bottom of the hill on Eglinton. The portal is actually almost immediately west of the bridge over the West Don River and thus is closer to Leslie than Brentcliffe. Metrolinx and others refer to the line coming to the surface east of Laird but it would be more accurate to say west of Leslie. The Crosstown website refers to Brentcliffe portal, but even then it's quite a bit east of Brentcliffe and east of where the original hole for Launch Shaft #3 was built.

I have been referring to the portal as "Glassworks Portal" for some time, as the portal will be immediately east of the intersection of Eglinton and Glassworks Drive, once it's all done. Glassworks Drive is the new street which will wind up the hill southbound from Eglinton at the Scenic condos and ends at Vanderhoof Ave. The south end of Glassworks Drive is already built and named at Vanderhoof and is a stub street that serves at the moment to access the Scenic underground parking garages.

So, all the above serves to explain that in fact there is only one at grade storage track on the Crosstown: the one immediately east of Sloane stop. I believe it will only be used in emergencies such as short turns to avoid blockages or to temporarily store a disabled train. The storage track immediately east of Laird Station is completely underground and is half a kilometre west of the east (Brentcliffe(Glassworks)) portal. This storage track could be used for emergencies and for short turning trains at Laird. This would make sense as this is the end of the completely segregated right-of-way and also ridership should be a lot less east of here. I've heard that possibly every second eastbound train will short turn at Laird so the frequency in the tunnel section will be double the frequency east of Laird to Kennedy.

Finally, the underground storage track between Laird and Brentcliffe (maybe call it Don Avon storage track?), is about 200m long and can old three 2-car trains or two 3-car trains.

From link.

Upcoming Public Meetings
Plans are being refined for the Eglinton West LRT to make sure we build the best transit for the City and local community. This includes providing great transit connections, optimizing traffic flows in the area and developing well-connected and designed public spaces that align with community values. Your input on these plans will help inform City recommendations to Council in Spring 2019. We are holding two public meetings:​
Tuesday, March 5
York Humber High School, Cafeteria​
100 Emmett Avenue​
6:30 P.M. – 8:30 P.M. (Presentation starts at 7:00 P.M.)​
Thursday, March 7
Martingrove Collegiate Institute, Cafeteria​
50 Winterton Drive​
6:30 P.M. – 8:30 P.M. (Presentation starts at 7:00 P.M.)​
Did anyone go to this event?

I'm for option 1. Less expensive.

With the LRT crossing over at the intersection depression at Islington & Eglinton, from the middle of the roadway to the south side (going westbound). That way when the right-of-way comes to Martin Grove (going westbound), it would be on the south side and avoiding the traffic congestion (mostly from eastbound left turns from Eglinton to northbound Martin Grove).

I'm for option 1. Less expensive.

With the LRT crossing over at the intersection depression at Islington & Eglinton, from the middle of the roadway to the south side (going westbound). That way when the right-of-way comes to Martin Grove (going westbound), it would be on the south side and avoiding the traffic congestion (mostly from eastbound left turns from Eglinton to northbound Martin Grove).

Islington and Eglinton is for sure one depressed intercestion!

Back