News   Jan 25, 2022
 767     3 
News   Jan 25, 2022
 428     0 

Eglinton West LRT | Metrolinx

sixrings

Member Bio
Reaction score
Yes, there will be a station at Scarlett Road.

Conceptual design (2016-2018), from link.
Scarlett-A-3-Camera-4-scaled-e1585847341377-1024x313.jpg

Scarlett-A-3-Camera-3-1024x576.jpg

View attachment 324544
From link.
Maybe since it’s above ground metrolinx could easily incorporate a parking garage into it.

TossYourJacket

Member Bio
Reaction score
Metrolinx is deadly afraid of even showing conceptual renderings before a contract is signed. Why would citizens/taxpayers want, need, or deserve to see them?
It's very strange given Metrolinx seems to have come up with a station design language that they want used for new stations. Shouldn't be hard to at least come up with preliminary renders. Hell, Ottawa manages to do it with their new stations, and then the renders get updated as the design evolves. I don't get what somehow makes that impossible in Toronto.

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Maybe since it’s above ground metrolinx could easily incorporate a parking garage into it.
East of Scarlett Road, it is a floodplain. West of Scarlett Road it is narrow, bordering with the condos to the north and south. Don't think the neighbours would go with turning whatever parkland in the area over to a garage.

1622820111180.png

From link.

Last edited:

sixrings

Member Bio
Reaction score
East of Scarlett Road, it is a floodplain. West of Scarlett Road it is narrow, bordering with the condos to the north and south. Don't think the neighbours would go with turning whatever parkland in the area over to a garage.

View attachment 325063
From link.
So what you’re saying is we’re building this transit to serve the ducks, raccoons and rabbits in the area. Perfect.

ARG1

Member Bio
Reaction score
So what you’re saying is we’re building this transit to serve the ducks, raccoons and rabbits in the area. Perfect.
York Mills Station is no different lol. Just like we have done since the beginning, we're building rapid transit to easily connect to local bus routes and potentially future LRT/Metro lines (looks over at Jane Street and Kipling Street).

sixrings

Member Bio
Reaction score
York Mills Station is no different lol. Just like we have done since the beginning, we're building rapid transit to easily connect to local bus routes and potentially future LRT/Metro lines (looks over at Jane Street and Kipling Street).
Sorry based on some Scarborough conversations I was under the impression that people did not want to take busses to stations and that parking garages help free up highway congestion by allowing people a dignified transit option. Maybe people along eglinton can’t afford cars and are therefore ok with busses.

Oh man I can’t let anything go anymore. Covid has gotten the worst of me. My apologies.

ARG1

Member Bio
Reaction score
Sorry based on some Scarborough conversations I was under the impression that people did not want to take busses to stations and that parking garages help free up highway congestion by allowing people a dignified transit option. Maybe people along eglinton can’t afford cars and are therefore ok with busses.

Oh man I can’t let anything go anymore. Covid has gotten the worst of me. My apologies.
Maybe instead of writing smug passive-aggressive remarks to what people are writing that you skim through and boil down to black and white bullet points that completely misinterpret the context and the message, you actually pay attention to what is being said so that you aren't confused.

sixrings

Member Bio
Reaction score
Maybe instead of writing smug passive-aggressive remarks to what people are writing that you skim through and boil down to black and white bullet points that completely misinterpret the context and the message, you actually pay attention to what is being said so that you aren't confused.
I’m definitely not confused. I fully understand how the Scarborough lrt cancellation and now Scarborough subway left eglinton east with no money and eglinton west tunnelled because if they can have tunnelled why can’t we. I also am not confused how some said they would be content if Scarborough just got it’s subway they deserved and then said they would welcome the density that came along. Not only were they not content the people started campaigning for Sheppard subway to be completed to Scarborough town centre because again they feel neglected. And then to add insult to injury now some are advocating for a parking garage at one of its stations which would be taking up land from development. Definitely not confused. Bitter. Angry. But not confused.

Clear rant. Not passive aggressive.

Last edited:

Rainforest

Member Bio
Reaction score
Well, I tried to explain the situation in the SSE thread, without much success. But will try one more time.

There is no point building parking garages in the middle of Etobicoke. Eg West LRT will get a substantial percentage of its riders just walking to the stations. For those who live too far to walk, central Etobicoke has a decent bus network, and every bus route crossing Eglinton will connect to at least one EWLRT station.

The interceptor parking garages need to be built at the edge stations. In case of EWLRT, the natural location is at the Renforth Gateway. If someone is driving from Bolton via 427, or from Milton via 401, they can leave the car at the edge of 416, and take the LRT if it goes where they want to go. For example, to the Yonge & Eglinton area. If there is no parking there, they will drive all the way to their destination. They will not switch to their local bus that runs once in 90 min, or to GO that only runs to Union.

The policy of not having parking spaces at the edge stations is effectively pro-emission (encourages more car-kilometers driven), even though its proponents are kidding themselves into believing they are pursuing the green agenda.

sixrings

Member Bio
Reaction score
Well, I tried to explain the situation in the SSE thread, without much success. But will try one more time.

There is no point building parking garages in the middle of Etobicoke. Eg West LRT will get a substantial percentage of its riders just walking to the stations. For those who live too far to walk, central Etobicoke has a decent bus network, and every bus route crossing Eglinton will connect to at least one EWLRT station.

The interceptor parking garages need to be built at the edge stations. In case of EWLRT, the natural location is at the Renforth Gateway. If someone is driving from Bolton via 427, or from Milton via 401, they can leave the car at the edge of 416, and take the LRT if it goes where they want to go. For example, to the Yonge & Eglinton area. If there is no parking there, they will drive all the way to their destination. They will not switch to their local bus that runs once in 90 min, or to GO that only runs to Union.

The policy of not having parking spaces at the edge stations is effectively pro-emission (encourages more car-kilometers driven), even though its proponents are kidding themselves into believing they are pursuing the green agenda.
I don’t understand how a old Canadian tire and Nissan dealership is not prime development land for condos, and affordable housing instead of a parking garage.

afransen

Member Bio
Reaction score
They will not switch to their local bus that runs once in 90 min, or to GO that only runs to Union.
Maybe we take the $100M that a parking garage would cost and put that into improved bus service.

If someone from the boonies is going downtown, they can park at a GO station. If they aren't going downtown, that seems like a prime candidate for a trip that suits a car and they might as well park near their destination rather than tying up a parking spot for twice as long at a transit station (potentially subsidized parking) and taking a subsidized ride on transit.

I don't see why we should be willing to subsidize drivers to park at a station 10-100x someone who takes the bus or rides their bike.

Rainforest

Member Bio
Reaction score
I don’t understand how a old Canadian tire and Nissan dealership is not prime development land for condos, and affordable housing instead of a parking garage.

First of all, Renforth Gateway is close to the airport, there may be height restrictions there, and the area is mostly industrial. Not sure a condo building placed there will be too popular.

And secondly, I see dozens of locations in the close proximity of existing subway stations, much closer to the core than Renforth Gateway. Those locations could host new condos, but are not used for that purpose. And the residential NUMBYs aren't always to blame, half of those locations are occupied by low-rise retail and can be converted to residential without much difficulty. If that doesn't happen, that must be because there are no buyers with enough money, not because there isn't enough land.

If the shortage of land is the main problem, then for sure, condos should always have priority over parking. But we do have land.

sixrings

Member Bio
Reaction score
First of all, Renforth Gateway is close to the airport, there may be height restrictions there, and the area is mostly industrial. Not sure a condo building placed there will be too popular.

And secondly, I see dozens of locations in the close proximity of existing subway stations, much closer to the core than Renforth Gateway. Those locations could host new condos, but are not used for that purpose. And the residential NUMBYs aren't always to blame, half of those locations are occupied by low-rise retail and can be converted to residential without much difficulty. If that doesn't happen, that must be because there are no buyers with enough money, not because there isn't enough land.

If the shortage of land is the main problem, then for sure, condos should always have priority over parking. But we do have land.
I was referencing the original debate of a parking garage at McCowqn and sheppard.