Toronto Eglinton Line 5 Crosstown West Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Crosstown web site says Kennedy to Keele in 38 minutes, so closer to 60 minutes to the airport from Kennedy. Another 8ish minutes to STC if the one-stop is completed by the time the LRT is built. Add on bus connection time at the east end.

The thing that I can never get my head around is, how far will air travellers schlep their bags from the higher order transit to get to their homes. I see lots of air passengers on the 192 Rocket and the subway..... but do they live in a condo that is right at the subway? Or do they take a connecting bus.....eg Dufferin bus to Liberty? How far is the walk from their bus stop to their door?

Eglinton will have lots of residential ridership right close to its stops - but is anyone going to ride a bus down from Sheppard to connect to it?

- Paul

There is a possible Finch West LRT extensions to the airport and to the Finch Subway station at Yonge, so some to the north could bypass the Eglinton LRT.

Realistically, how long would it take to get to the airport from Scarborough on the LRT? 90 minutes?
The thing that I can never get my head around is, how far will air travellers schlep their bags from the higher order transit to get to their homes. I see lots of air passengers on the 192 Rocket and the subway..... but do they live in a condo that is right at the subway? Or do they take a connecting bus.....eg Dufferin bus to Liberty? How far is the walk from their bus stop to their door?

People would do it.

Such a trip would usually be one-way, off-peak, infrequent, and cost of time considered prior to choosing to take the Crosstown rather than an Uber. I would liken it more to taking the subway+bus to Canada's Wonderland than to a normal commute (and even that example would be a two-way trip), which of course people do all the time with stroller+baby, which is arguably more arduous than a luggage.

Will people be commuting daily from Etobicoke to Scarborough via the Crosstown for their job? That is probably less likely.

People would do it.

Such a trip would usually be one-way, off-peak, infrequent, and cost of time considered prior to choosing to take the Crosstown rather than an Uber. I would liken it more to taking the subway+bus to Canada's Wonderland than to a normal commute (and even that example would be a two-way trip), which of course people do all the time with stroller+baby, which is arguably more arduous than a luggage.

Will people be commuting daily from Etobicoke to Scarborough via the Crosstown for their job? That is probably less likely.

Businesses are already at or near the Renforth Station, more to come. Businesses are already moving into around Eglinton & Yonge. Developers are already planning on new buildings near the Science Centre. Expect many new developments to replace the parking lots around existing buildings along Eglinton Avenue. Use Urbantoronto.ca/map and click on the dots along Eglinton as a start.

Businesses are already at or near the Renforth Station, more to come. Businesses are already moving into around Eglinton & Yonge. Developers are already planning on new buildings near the Science Centre. Expect many new developments to replace the parking lots around existing buildings along Eglinton Avenue. Use Urbantoronto.ca/map and click on the dots along Eglinton as a start.
???

You are quoting someone who has lived on Eglinton (with brief interruptions) his entire life.

As for Renforth, no iteration of the Eglinton West LRT plan has actually addressed the last-mile problem for those who wish to take transit to their workplace at ACC.

yup - airport trips have different demand and travel time sensitivies vs. a standard commute. If you live in Scarborough and are catching a flight you have a few options - drive and pay huge parking costs, get a very expensive taxi/uber, have somebody drop you off, or take the TTC. The TTC costs $6, an uber probably $70, and parking probably over $100 round trip. To save $60, many people will be willing to sit on the TTC for a bit more. Compare this to a regular commuting trip - TTC is $150 a month, Parking is probably free-$300 a month. Not as much of a difference.

The Pearson Transit Hub has its own urbantoronto.ca thread at link. In addition, there is a Toronto Pearson Master Plan 2017-2037 at link. So that one station/stop is going to be b-i-g for the Eglinton West LRT (and Finch West LRT and other transit routes), so that employees, aircraft passengers, and others will not have to rely on the automobile to get to and from Pearson.

The stop at Lloyd Manor is useless. What were they thinking???

They were thinking that they are building a streetcar and it needs to stop everywhere? /s

If done right, an LRT is just a subway that you see because it wasn’t built underground. To plan the stops, you have to imagine where you would build subway stops. And that’s all you build, Too bad we don’t have a form of 3-D goggles that make the LRT invisible mid-block.

As Eglinton develops, there may be good rationale for a surface service that serves local trips along that axis. Lloyd manor is a logical place for a bus stop, because it is where the LCBO and Shoppers and the grocery store are. As more residential developments go up, more people will need to get to Lloyd Manor and we ought to give them an option other than driving there. I bet those businesses will demand the stop....but....We don’t have a subway stop at Clendennan and Bloor to get people to the Shoppers Drugs at Runnymede. (We don’t have a bus on Bloor, either....and I always wonder why not).

- Paul

....We don’t have a subway stop at Clendennan and Bloor to get people to the Shoppers Drugs at Runnymede. (We don’t have a bus on Bloor, either....and I always wonder why not).

- Paul

Actually, the west entrance to the High Park Station (to get to the Runnymede Station) is one block from Clendennan & Bloor (about 200 m). Except that we would have to climb steps, which at Lloyd Manor they wouldn't have that much. For those with a MetroPass, fine; for those without, they would walk (unless they still have 2 hours on their PRESTO).

Actually, the west entrance to the High Park Station (to get to the Runnymede Station) is one block from Clendennan & Bloor (about 200 m). Except that we would have to climb steps, which at Lloyd Manor they wouldn't have that much. For those with a MetroPass, fine; for those without, they would walk (unless they still have 2 hours on their PRESTO).

I still wonder if putting a stop there would be worth the effort intically, or if they should put in later. Yes, Clendennan and Bloor is about a block away from the west end of High Park Station.

That was my point, actually, although I didn't make it well. (How about Eagle Road, halfway between Royal York and Islington?) In low-density areas, the spacing for LRT stops should be greater than (reasonable walking distance x 2). There will be zones in between stops that may not meet the criterion for "served by LRT". Our subway system has these zones, but they are hidden because the subway is invisible.

The goal is a through velocity that approaches that possible with a subway, benefitting a ridership that is just passing through. A bus route may still be needed to fill in the rest.

- Paul

Last edited:
As Eglinton develops, there may be good rationale for a surface service that serves local trips along that axis.
This is a very good point! Unfortunately the 27 Yonge bus, which did the role exactly as you state, was discontinued some years back.
1549724835618.png
https://transit.toronto.on.ca/photos/images/ttc-27-downtown-map-19870726-2.png

Would an equivalent route today on Yonge, Bloor and Eglinton 'pay it's own way'? From fare-box return, no. In terms of cost savings on station spacing, and thus increasing transit speed on the railed routes? Absolutely...and serve an essential function at the same time for those with mobility issues. It would also help alleviate overcrowding on Line 1, albeit minimally, but if pundits are to be believed "every little bit helps". Well duh!

Toronto has become a heartless city in many ways. And throwing out reason with the baby's bathwater.

Last edited:
This is a very good point! Unfortunately the 27 Yonge bus, which did the role exactly as you state, was discontinued some years back.

It was discontinued, sure, but only as a stand-alone route. The service was - and still is - provided by the 97B branch of the Yonge bus.

Dan

It was discontinued, sure, but only as a stand-alone route. The service was - and still is - provided by the 97B branch of the Yonge bus.

Dan
I'm looking at the schedule, and only see service every half hour during morning peak. To be honest, I now find the way the TTC lists timings and schedules as being very confusing. I'm too old school. Show me a full schedule charted on 'x' and 'y' axes.

So perhaps someone could translate this into a meaningful presentation?
97 Yonge - Schedule change
Effective October 7, 2018
Schedule change – construction ends, Service reliability improvement
With the change in road construction conditions along Yonge Street, the service and schedules on this route will be revised to improve service reliability for customers.
Three services will now operate:
  • 97A (Davisville Stn-York Mills Stn via Yonge Blvd)
    Operates in all off-peak periods
  • 97B (Queens Quay-York Mills Stn via Yonge Blvd)
    Operates in the peak periods only
  • 97F (Davisville Stn-Steeles)
    Operates all day, every day
The scheduled service frequency on this route along the different parts of Yonge Street will remain largely unchanged.
http://www.ttc.ca/Routes/97/Northbound.jsp
http://www.ttc.ca/Service_Advisories/Service_changes/oct97.jsp

God knows how Granny and Gramps, let alone Leonardo speak no English are supposed to understand this: (it's the 'Smart Phone gen' because everyone is forced to use one, even when they're the most inefficient way of presenting options)
Northbound on Yonge St at King St East (King Station)
ttc-icon-station-access.gif

I'm sorry? Where are these buses as per '27 replacement'?

Something's missing in action...I'm reminded of the directions at Union Station....

Last edited:
I'm looking at the schedule, and only see service every half hour during morning peak. To be honest, I now find the way the TTC lists timings and schedules as being very confusing. I'm too old school. Show me a full schedule charted on 'x' and 'y' axes.

So perhaps someone could translate this into a meaningful presentation?

http://www.ttc.ca/Routes/97/Northbound.jsp
http://www.ttc.ca/Service_Advisories/Service_changes/oct97.jsp

God knows how Granny and Gramps, let alone Leonardo speak no English are supposed to understand this: (it's the 'Smart Phone gen' because everyone is forced to use one, even when they're the most inefficient way of presenting options)
Northbound on Yonge St at King St East (King Station)
ttc-icon-station-access.gif

I'm sorry? Where are these buses as per '27 replacement'?

Something's missing in action...I'm reminded of the directions at Union Station....

The real problem is that no one "sees" that buses run on Yonge Street, because they are so infrequent. We assume they are short turns or "out of service".

BYW. Manhattan has buses running on the surface. See link.

manhattan-bus-routes-map-large.jpg

From link.

Back