News   Apr 17, 2024
 589     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 303     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.9K     1 

Eglinton East LRT | Metrolinx

The conservatives could put that on their election platform.
I doubt will see the Cons willingly fund this project. It's an LRT that runs down the middle of the road in Scarborough so that alone throws up a lot of red flags. As well the Cons are already talking about spending a lot of money on transit as it is, I doubt they are willing to pony up any more; especially for a road bound LRT. They won't cancel it, but I doubt they will fund it. The EELRT will be another Hamilton situation where either the City will need to find a way to fund it alone, the feds step in and force the provinces hand, or we just hope the Cons loose the next election since the Liberals and NDP will no doubt be willing to fund the project.

That $4.4B price tag may be somewhat overstated.

Just like Hamilton LRT. When the province didn't want to fund it and the Feds were not at the table, the price tag was very high. Once both the province and the Feds came on board, the price went down.

Just like Hamilton LRT. When the province didn't want to fund it and the Feds were not at the table, the price tag was very high. Once both the province and the Feds came on board, the price went down.
Pretty sure the Hamilton LRT's price tag went down because the feds and province agreed to only pay the capital costs meanwhile the city had to fork over the operations cost, so when they announced the funding deal, the numbers only added up to that cost. Part of what made the previous price tag so high is that it included everything including operations and maintenance because the previous deal under the liberals was that they would pay for all of it.

Pretty sure the Hamilton LRT's price tag went down because the feds and province agreed to only pay the capital costs meanwhile the city had to fork over the operations cost, so when they announced the funding deal, the numbers only added up to that cost. Part of what made the previous price tag so high is that it included everything including operations and maintenance because the previous deal under the liberals was that they would pay for all of it.

Ah, OK. I didn't realize the previous price tag included the operations and future maintenance.

Maybe but the report says it excluded maintenance and operations. It was a Toronto generated number rather than something Metrolinx provided.

I can see some bridge work that this project might incur which will probably be done anyway, but that'll be relatively small.

The MSF ($500M?) is included. Toronto bus type projects often don't include bus maintenance facility costs.

IIRC the two things that increased the price were the SSE subway (which required a tunnel to be built?) and the MSF.

I also can’t remember offhand if the $4.4B was for both phases (ie all the way to Malvern or not).

I would like to see this built; it’s a good local complement to the SSE and would go through some neighbourhood improvement areas.

The MSF ($500M?) is included. Toronto bus type projects often don't include bus maintenance facility costs.
That's because there are already a lot of bus garages in the GTA, and getting the vehicles to and from it is as simple as making sure that there are roads between the route and the garage.

An MSF for rail transit is a far more involved proposition, as there are far fewer of them already built and as the line needs a physical connection to it - and so it's location is usually less than ideally suited for that kind of facility.

Dan

Maybe but the report says it excluded maintenance and operations. It was a Toronto generated number rather than something Metrolinx provided.

I can see some bridge work that this project might incur which will probably be done anyway, but that'll be relatively small.

The MSF in the east end will be needed, and will be useful for both EELRT and ECLRT.

But even accounting for that .. $3.9B for a 15-km long mostly surface line sounds like a lot. That's $260M / km, a lot more than for Finch West which came at something like $120M / km with 2 underground termini.

The MSF in the east end will be needed, and will be useful for both EELRT and ECLRT.

But even accounting for that .. $3.9B for a 15-km long mostly surface line sounds like a lot. That's $260M / km, a lot more than for Finch West which came at something like $120M / km with 2 underground termini.
Well it does have a few underground stations planned, but even then, this is way too expensive for what it is.

Well it does have a few underground stations planned, but even then, this is way too expensive for what it is.

I think EE LRT and FW LRT are comparable in that.

FW: 11 km length, underground termini at Keele and at Hwy 7, all the rest on surface.

EE: 15 km length, underground terminus at Kennedy, probably tunneled to east of Brimley with an underground station at Brimley, and one more underground station where it crosses Lawrence. The ratio of surface to underground is about same.

FW: 11 km length, underground termini at Keele and at Hwy 7, all the rest on surface.

EE: 15 km length, underground terminus at Kennedy, probably tunneled to east of Brimley with an underground station at Brimley, and one more underground station where it crosses Lawrence. The ratio of surface to underground is about same.
The portal starts just east of Midland actually.

Actually its less, tunneled to Midland and then surfaces east of that.

I assume ION will probably be using a lot of rail corridor and it's all at grade which would probably make it cheaper. Their extension is less than $100 million / km.

"The TPA lays tracks for the region to move ahead with its plan to build the $1.36 billion extension that will add 18 kilometres to the ION light rail transit system through Cambridge, along the region’s preferred route."

Back