News   Mar 28, 2024
 130     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

Eglinton East LRT | Metrolinx

I would like to see the stop at Falmouth removed from the plan. It's only 450 metres to Midland, 550 Metres to McCowan, and looks like it will be the least used stop on the line. That would leave about a 1 km gap between Midland and McCowan stations

201605_egleastdemandrev.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-12-29 at 2.03.15 PM.png

Attachments

• 201605_egleastdemandrev.jpg
    201605_egleastdemandrev.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 1,230
  • Screen Shot 2017-12-29 at 2.03.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-29 at 2.03.15 PM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,318
I would like to see the stop at Falmouth removed from the plan. It's only 450 metres to Midland, 550 Metres to McCowan, and looks like it will be the least used stop on the line. That would leave about a 1 km gap between Midland and McCowan stations

View attachment 131332 View attachment 131333

Falmouth, Mason and West Hill Collegiate are this line's Ferrand, Lebovic and Ionview.

View attachment 131332 View attachment 131333

Where did you find a copy of this presentation? I do not see it on the website.

So the current map on the Metrolinx website has the easterly extent of this addition going up Morningside. I am writing this post because elsewhere @nfitz speculated about the former idea for the Conlins yard in the context of storing LRVs from different manufacturers in different yards.

Has anyone noticed that to put the line in service you have to dead-head vehicles all the way from Mount Dennis to the eastern extremes of Scarborough? Is there an eastern maintenance facility in this proposal?

If not the thing will be closed a year after it opens when Metrolinx figures out the fatal design flaw in the Eglinton LRT where it rises to the surface at LESLIE before it gets to SCIENCE CENTRE and totally defeats people trying to get to SCIENCE CENTRE to get downtown on the RL. There will be a 24 month rebuild in the Eglinton LRT. For sure.

There is a destination called The Toronto Zoo on Meadowvale Road. Extending the LRT to the zoo would be beneficial to both the TTC and the Zoo.

See link.

Better transit to the Zoo is a nice idea. I just doubt Eglinton East LRT is the right solution. A trip between the Zoo and Kennedy Stn would take 35-40 min.

An express bus between STC (the future subway terminus) and the Zoo may be sufficient. The bus is much more flexible vs the season and the day of week. You can run a very frequent bus on summer weekends when the demand is greatest, without the cost of building permanent infrastructure.

If a light rail line to the Zoo is warranted, then again it should connect straight to STC (via Sheppard and then Centennial Progress campus).

There is a destination called The Toronto Zoo on Meadowvale Road. Extending the LRT to the zoo would be beneficial to both the TTC and the Zoo.

See link.
Imagine if all the important tourist and business and educational institutions in the city became connected by rapid transit. Say York University, Pearson Airport, U of T Scarborough Campus, the Toronto Zoo, the Science Centre, the Ex. Nah. That would be too crazy.

Last edited:
Don't be silly. Rather we should build subways subway subways to stc for all of those hard working folks and then have busses from there for all the pinko urban elitest education types who want to visit these places from there.
Imagine if all the important tourist and business and educational institutions in the city became connected by rapid transit. Say York University, Pearson Airport, U of T Scarborough Campus, the Toronto Zoo, the Science Centre, the Ex. Nah. That would be too crazy.

What is the timeline?

From the Malvern Town Hall:
Q: When can we realistically see the Eglinton East LRT built?
A: A final report will be submitted to Council in 2019 and will include an implementation schedule. Construction schedules for projects such as these typically have a timeline of four or five years once the detailed design is finished.

Design should be finished in the next couple years and just needs the funding commitment at that time. This line wont be an issue to fund but the key Provincial and Municipal election players still need to be determined as to how it ill be but I see two likely possibilities assuming council continues support here:

1. The Province uploads the SSE and Toronto uses the SSE tax funds
2. The Federal pool is used and a Provincial nudge to pay a percentage.

Last edited:
I travel through here often, option 1 will be just fine, there is no need for a tunnel here, it would not be worth the cost.

Agree. Im far more concerned with the current Crosstown after Kennedy station. Certainly if they didn't want to tunnel this portion there is absolutely no need to here at Kingston and Eglinton. The non grade seperation of the Crosstown was a tad irresponsible given the current network and will cause immediate problems on both Eglinton and spill over into Kingston Rd and Lawrence Ave as its already quite congested.

Last edited:

Back