News   Jul 31, 2024
 8     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 495     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 457     0 

East York's Naughty Neighbor

Take it to the city. If they are doing construction and it is affecting your property, you have every right to complain.

My aunt bought an old house in the Dufferin/Eglinton area a few years back and demolished it to build her new house. During construction, the neighbours steps to his side door had to be blocked because of the excavation. He was mad about this and took her to the city. The city did its own investigation and determined that his steps were actually built onto my aunts property without consent. They ordered him to remove the steps.

My aunt didn't want to cause issues before she even moved in, so she offered to rebuild the steps for the neighbour, no charge, in a way that wouldn't cross over the property line. Everything has been good with them since.

If its just an issue of accessing your backyard and not physically doing anything, just ask the neighbour if he needs it for construction purposes. Chances are, the contractor requires some additional space outside of the property line. In that case, they should be coming to you for permission, and also guarantee that the property will be left in the same condition it is in now once they are done.

Back