Toronto East Harbour | 214.2m | 65s | Cadillac Fairview | Adamson

For what the original concept of this plan was, this is really underwhelming. By the time all of the planning has been finalized, this will be watered down to the point that no one will consider it as the supposed "Downtown East".

Well, these look... functional.

LOL oh Canada. We are too practical for our own good.

The designs are almost certianly placeholders, but the tallest tower clearly takes influence from Hudson Yards.

...which only reminds me that we're a long conceptual ways away from a Heatherwick design integrated into the public realm plan here.

These look new from - http://eastharbour.ca/
cropped-NORM-LI_171013_Gardiner_03-Crop.jpg

I like how they've take the liberty of rendering potential development north of the rail corridor.

...which only reminds me that we're a long conceptual ways away from a Heatherwick design integrated into the public realm plan here.

Forget having a Heatherwick design, based on the available documents they are some ways away from producing a decent public realm plan that is more than going through the motions in the typically Toronto manner.

AoD

Last edited:

Philanthropy aside, I'm glad we aren't controlled by a new generation of robber barons a la Ross, even if it does mean we have to forfeit the ability to have $200m sculptures in our public realm.

Philanthropy aside, I'm glad we aren't controlled by a new generation of robber barons a la Ross, even if it does mean we have to forfeit the ability to have $200m sculptures in our public realm.

But aren't we controlled by a bunch of robber barons already without $200M sculptures to show for it?

AoD

Last edited:
Depressingly stodgy-looking buildings in those renders. It will be great to reactivate this chunk of the east side and bring it into the new millennium, but please... we have to aim higher than this. This site is a great opportunity, one not to be squandered with a cluster of mediocre buildings.

Depressingly stodgy-looking buildings in those renders. It will be great to reactivate this chunk of the east side and bring it into the new millennium, but please... we have to aim higher than this. This site is a great opportunity, one not to be squandered with a cluster of mediocre buildings.

Nevermind that these are placeholders - what's annoying is that they have increased their ask at the same time having communicated a diminished level of uniqueness (switch from the OMA plan)

AoD

Even with these buildings as placeholders, the massing is uninspiring. Why can't one or two buildings be significantly taller than the others? All the buildings portrayed come across as stubby rather than slender.

Nevermind that these are placeholders - what's annoying is that they have increased their ask at the same time having communicated a diminished level of uniqueness (switch from the OMA plan)

AoD

I am not getting my hopes up that this site will somehow be different & won't be slammed by bland generic Toronto clunkers. The whole waterfront is turning out to be just a bunch of "placeholder" boxes lined up in front of our eyes. :/

Back