News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 638     0 

East Bayfront: Parkside/Bayside/Dockside neighbourhoods Overview

Yes, the clods at Tate & Lyle replaced the inland-facing sign; but the scripted Redpath logo's still there, and the stuff you buy in stores is still called Redpath. So Redpath it remains.

And if T+L bail, you can be sure there'll be a rally on the plant's behalf that'll match those for the Canada Malting or Victory Soya Mills silos...

Incidentally, I went on the Doors Open tour of Redpath and i came away with two impressions:

1) Sugar is complicated
2) Unrefined sugar has a repulsive smell

I was at St. Lawrence market later and, although I ordinarly would never notice all I could smell in the entire lower east side of downtown is that damn sugar smell.

When the wind is right, you can smell that sicky sweet baby-formulaish smell all over St. Lawrence.

Stlll, Mr. Tate and his sweet gazillions built a few nice art galleries...

I wouldn't count on them moving any time soon; they have a heavy investment in that place, and it can't be moved to just anywhere. Having said that, if and when they do depart, perhaps the structure could be converted to our own "Tate", given that there is no way on God's green earth that the AGO will be allowed to expand again in its present location.

But, oh irony, if that happens, they *have* to reinstate the REDPATH SUGAR on the N side in lieu of Tate + Lyle...

Am I the only one who thinks the Kool Haus will take issue with being demolished?

East Bayfront-West Precinct Urban Design Guidelines

A DRAFT East Bayfront-West Precinct Urban Design Guidelines document is now being released for review and comment. The Draft document is available for download on our website at the following link:

www.towaterfront.ca/dynam...c38f6aa681

The guidelines are being prepared as the next step in the implementation of the East Bayfront revitalization. Plans for the East Bayfront call for a vibrant mixed-use community, with a network of new public open spaces and a continuous waterfront promenade. The urban design guidelines are intended to detail and illustrate the approved East Bayfront Precinct Plan principles and Zoning By-law, and assist in the development review process.

The draft East Bayfront-West Precinct Urban Design Guidelines document is also being circu lated to the Waterfront Design Review Panel and area landowners for discussion. Once complete, the document will be presented to Toronto City Council for endorsement (January/February 2007).

Thanks for that link.

The plans and guidelines look great. They certainly highlight what a difference taking down the Gardiner would make.

I really view this project as being on that makes or breaks Toronto and how it grows in the future. From what I have seen and read so far, I think the city is really on the right track. I am sure some will say that it is taking to long and the other usual complaints but given that Toronto, or most Canadian cities for that matter, have little experience in the kind of urban planning they are demonstrating in this and future projects, I would rather time be taken to undertake the project correctly instead of rushing.

Here are two pictures I took from the report just for those who might not want to read through it all.

East Bayfront as it currently stands.

EastBayfrontCurrent.jpg

East Bayfront in the Future

EastBayfrontFuture.jpg

Thanks for posting, billonlogan.

Moved to TO Issues where TWRC/waterfront threads generally reside.

AoD

Thanks GB.

I'm suprised that such a large part of the so-called Bayside parcel is designated employment lands (despite the allusion to possible live/work). Given only 50% of East Bayfront is in public hands, I fear a messy hodge podge (here a Corus, there a Corus) of "we'll take whatever we can get down there" may short-circuit all this planning. I'd hate to see a water's edge that isn't animated by things to do, eat, see and "hang around in the neighbourhood". Maybe the city is shopping for more land that it can shepherd.

this is a great image to end off the slideshow. looks great!

25673883lh8.jpg

Back