News   Apr 16, 2024
 35     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.2K     5 

East Bayfront: Parkside/Bayside/Dockside neighbourhoods Overview

Seems like this is a test run of sorts, but it's exciting that WT is moving forward with building this along the whole waterfront. Interestingly, it seems they've proposed a "floating boardwalk" around the Redpath Sugar Factory waterfront, which I presume is so that the boardwalk can be moved to allow the ships to come in and out. My worry was that this boardwalk would never be completed until Redpath moves out, but this seems like a potentially cool solution that avoids having to wait for that.

From the above:

1576513650750.png

Those that particularly piqued my interest:

1. Aqualuna (because I'm excited to see the construction of what could be the first genuinely attractive new building on the waterfront): a bunch of closing-related agreements slated for completion in March-April;
2. T3 Bayside/C2 Hines (because I'm excited to see tall timber office on the waterfront): construction slated to start in Q2 2020;
3. R6 (because damn we need more AH and purpose-built rental): Hines is awaiting AH terms from City;
4. Gardiner public realm (because it currently sucks big time and, if executed faithfully, I think this could be a huge and welcome improvement and would help with waterfront connectivity): Jarvis to Richardson slated for completion in 2021 (but is subject to Gardiner rehab works above, so can likely be assumed to be late).

The last few times I've walked along the waterfront by the George Brown campus, all I hear is the music from Rebel. Not the greatest experience when you are trying to enjoy a stroll along the water. Does anyone know how long the contract is for Rebel nightclub? I can only imagine it won't be a great experience for the new residences of Bayside. Let alone the future park goers of the Lower Don Lands.

My understanding was that when Sound Academy reopened as Rebel, the renovations included extensive soundproofing as requested by island residents. I wonder whether, given the COVID situation, they've moved events outdoors? If so, hopefully this problem will resolve itself within a couple of summers.

My understanding was that when Sound Academy reopened as Rebel, the renovations included extensive soundproofing as requested by island residents. I wonder whether, given the COVID situation, they've moved events outdoors? If so, hopefully this problem will resolve itself within a couple of summers.
There is some sort of City appeal going on because the City says they are not following the Rules set by an earlier AGCO hearing. See: https://www.blogto.com/eat_drink/2019/07/toronto-islands-noise-complaints/ I think this is still dragging on.

Last edited:
In this COVID era, Rebel is not open. They've rejigged the vast patio (Canada's largest) adjacent to it (a.k.a. Cabana) and serve food and drinks from midday well into the evening. The music is not loud. Have been several times and loved the ambiance, food and city views. But next door (across Polson St) in the parking lot, where they're having summer concerts....so perhaps this is perhaps what folks are hearing at a distance?

Back