East Bayfront and Queens Quay East

Discussion in 'Design and Architectural Style' started by jozl, Jul 13, 2018 at 5:55 PM.

1. jozl

jozl Active Member

The south side of Queens Quay East of Yonge is finally getting developed. The improved pedestrian walkway along the lake, south of the newly completed buildings, is a beautiful and much needed improvement to the city’s public realm. Unfortunately, the areas just north of the new buildings (eg. the Corus Building and George Brown College) are separated from the street with parking lots. Is this the paradigm that will be copied along the entire south side of Queens Quay? Parking lots that separate the new neighbourhood from the street? Will Queens Quay look like a suburban thoroughfare when complete? Any thoughts?

2. deerparker

deerparker Active Member

Those lots are temporary.

3. DSC

DSC Senior Member

Where have you been? The south side of Queens Quay east of Yonge has been moving ahead for several years. Look at the WT plans (and individual and Lower Yonge Precinct Plan threads here) for details - surface parking lots are not permanent. The eventual QQE will look like QQW - well, that's the plan!

ADRM likes this.
  4. smably

smably Active Member

The Tower at Pier 27 is replacing the parking lot at the foot of Yonge.

The Waterfront "Innovation" Centre will fill the parking lot in front of Corus Quay.

The Arbour will go in the lot north of George Brown.

Queens Quay Place and new affordable housing will fill the gap between Aqualina and Aqualuna.

To the east beyond that, there's Sidewalk Toronto, Victory Soya Mills, and 3C Waterfront.

I think that covers pretty much every parking lot south of Queens Quay on the eastern waterfront, not counting the port lands.

ADRM likes this.
  5. jozl

jozl Active Member

YEESH! I really stepped on a big one. Well, thanks for the replies. I’m happy the parking lots are temporary. So, I guess this thread can be axed.

ADRM and smably like this.
  6. innsertnamehere

innsertnamehere Superstar

The plan is for it to be much better than QQW! And right now, it looks like it will be, if they can just get funding for the LRT.

7. MTown

MTown Senior Member

My word, can you imagine they were permanent!? hahahaaa.....man, you must have been stressed out just thinking about it when you started this thread.
    That would have been a crime against city planning.

8. Skeezix

Skeezix Senior Member

Isn't there already a general thread for East Bayfront? Why do we need a separate thread for one question?

9. MTown

MTown Senior Member

Personally, I think this thread is hilarious because of the horror caused by one person's confusion about something and should enjoy permanence as a testament to how bad our city planning sometimes is and has been that it could cause this question about surface parking along the lake to be asked.