News   Aug 23, 2024
 1.4K     3 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 513     0 

Earth Hour

khris

Member Bio
Reaction score
Toronto didn't seem to really look all that different in the following photos from The Big Picture...
It seems a lot of buildings already had their lights off in the before picture.

Before:

tno_on.jpg

After:

tno_off.jpg

To see the rest of the photos go here.

Yeah, I noticed that last year too. Most people just don't even turn on their lights in the first place, that is why teh change is really not dramatinc at all.

+ after earth hour people just keep their lights off, so there is no brightening effect either. I went to the concert at NPS last year, and it was really awkward, because Miller flipped the switch, and the City Hall light went off, and nothing else happened. People were starting to boo, especially because FCP had literally every single light on. Then like a minue later, all the FCP lights went off. Now that was an amazing sight.

Although it's obvious they purposely turned all their lights on before Earth Hour, so that when the time came, they made a drastic statement.

I think Earth Hour is ridiculous. It's the choices we make everyday that help the environment not symbolic crap like turning lights off for an hour once a year.

How about taking transit to work everyday? Or actually living closer to work? Or eating less meat (particularly red meat)? Those three things alone would make such a significant different reducing one's carbon footprint. Instead of promoting that stuff we give suburbanites who commute to work in SUVs from 50 km away a feel good campaign that helps assuage the guilt that they aren't doing enough for the environment. If we want to do that, the suburbanites should have an Earth Week. No lights for a week would truly be an enlightening experience.

Earth hour is to show you how many people will do what the media tells them to do, without thought or question.

I think Earth Hour is ridiculous. It's the choices we make everyday that help the environment not symbolic crap like turning lights off for an hour once a year.

How about taking transit to work everyday? Or actually living closer to work? Or eating less meat (particularly red meat)? Those three things alone would make such a significant different reducing one's carbon footprint. Instead of promoting that stuff we give suburbanites who commute to work in SUVs from 50 km away a feel good campaign that helps assuage the guilt that they aren't doing enough for the environment. If we want to do that, the suburbanites should have an Earth Week. No lights for a week would truly be an enlightening experience.
I agree that it is ridiculous, and I myself decided not to participate. I am environmentally conscious all year long.

However, why are people so quick to pick on people in the suburbs? I know several people who live downtown and commute to work out in the suburbs. You think nobody who lives downtown has SUV's? Living downtown doesn't automatically make you a hippie vegetarian environmentalist.

However, why are people so quick to pick on people in the suburbs? I know several people who live downtown and commute to work out in the suburbs. You think nobody who lives downtown has SUV's? Living downtown doesn't automatically make you a hippie vegetarian environmentalist.

Anti-peak direction travelers are rare. However, i concur that they are just as damaging. I am not saying that living downtown makes someone a 'hippie vegetarian environmentalist'. However, in my experience stuff like Earth Day is just a pathetic effort at assuaging the guilt of 9-5 ers who did very little for the environment every other day. And let's face it, the majority of these folks are not anti-peak direction commuters who live downtown. They are those who insist on having a 3000 square foot house and working downtown at the same time on average pay with 2.1 kids and two pets, which inevitably means that they live in Barrie and work sufficiently odd hours that the GO train service proves inadequate, compelling them to drive in an suv that they bought with the intention of going camping with but now use to commute.

The only real threat posed by an SUV is when their drivers try to park these behemoths.

Earth hour is really about raising awareness, and I think it's done a really good job at that. Why sniff dismissively at this when it's so easy for cities and the average person to participate - and there's no downside? Cynicism is unbecoming.

It's really just earth day in another form - and who celebrates earth day anymore? It gets hardly any media coverage at all.

Back