News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 565     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 856     0 

Dwell City Towns (427 & Rathburn, Menkes, ?s, ?) (was Sell-Off Condos)

Hopefully more projects like this getting rid of the parks associated with tower in the park neighbourhoods can occur. This project seems like a good use of the site. The neighbouring buildings could use a makeover with better lot coverage on the first three to five floors.

Wouldn't that mark the loss of the second hotel closing on the 427's Etobicoke strip in the last year? I think the Valhalla recently closed too. Not that it really matters anyway. Sounds like a decent proposal for the site!

Good proposal, but a strange location in my honest opinion. Hopefully the 427 strip will get some sort of rapid transit sooner or later since most of the rides from there are long and boring as hell. I could see an Ottawa highway BRT network thingy working, but I'm glad this thing is getting done.

I like this proposal, nothing better than a bunch of better looking buildings to greet people coming into Toronto from the airport.

jeicow - i agree... the 427 corridor is ridiculously wide, take a couple lanes from the east or west side of it and put in a high quality BRT link from Kipling Station up to Brampton.

Wouldn't that mark the loss of the second hotel closing on the 427's Etobicoke strip in the last year? I think the Valhalla recently closed too. Not that it really matters anyway. Sounds like a decent proposal for the site!

Lots of high-rise residential buildings line the 427 already (as we all know of course), and while most are rentals, there are a few condos. Growing up in Etobichoke west of the 427, I've had (and still still have) friends live in a few of those buildings, and all of of those buildings are getting on in age now: most are likely between 30 to 50 years old. Sound-proofing from the highway varies from building to building, and depends upon the exposure of the unit to of course.

These days it seems that there's nothing going up other than luxury condos. I assume the land values along this expressway are somewhat lower because of the associated nuisances (especially this Ramada location, which strikes me as less desirable than the Valhalla location) and whether these buildings will be pitched as affordable luxury subsequently. (One way or the other, I'm sure the developer will still prominently use the word luxury in their advertising.) How they are going to entice people to buy units along this highway? 'The pulse of the suburbs'? 'Luxury soundproofing'? 'Imtimate traffic views'? I wait with bated breath...

jeicow - i agree... the 427 corridor is ridiculously wide, take a couple lanes from the east or west side of it and put in a high quality BRT link from Kipling Station up to Brampton.

My office is near the airport, my home is down by the mouth of the Humber, and my playground is downtown, so I often find myself heading south on the 427 near the end of rush hour, and then east on the Gardiner.

I can assure you that there isn't a single lane of that highway that they can spare. The 427 recently started going through a multi-year reconstruction phase. This year the only work they are doing is rebuilding the SB 427 Express ramp to EB Gardiner and it is causing considerable chaos. If transit were significantly better in the area, then maybe they could give over some of the right of way, but I doubt that demand on that road will ever decrease enough to allow that.

does anyone know if tha application was approved? when is the anticipated start and completion dates for this project?

How they are going to entice people to buy units along this highway? 'The pulse of the suburbs'? 'Luxury soundproofing'? 'Imtimate traffic views'? I wait with bated breath...

Actually, having a view facing an expressway (but set back a bit) can be rather interesting, at least in a Crash (the Cronenburg one) sort of way.

Though the 112 would be a bit of a drag, and there's little in the immediate environs - the nearest grocery store would be on the other side of the 427, the Price Chopper at Rathburn, or for decent produce, the Loblaw's at East Mall and Burnhamthorpe. There's better locations for a highway-side view.

Though the 112 would be a bit of a drag...

The 112 being the West Mall bus of course.

If the Bloor-Danforth line were to be extended west to a stop at the East Mall, and in my wildest dreams to one at Sherway Gardens, either of those new terminals for the 112 would improve service on that route, and would therefore make condos going up on the site of the former 427 Ramada more desirable.

Actually, having a view facing an expressway (but set back a bit) can be rather interesting, at least in a Crash (the Cronenburg one) sort of way.

Though the 112 would be a bit of a drag, and there's little in the immediate environs - the nearest grocery store would be on the other side of the 427, the Price Chopper at Rathburn, or for decent produce, the Loblaw's at East Mall and Burnhamthorpe. There's better locations for a highway-side view.

There's also a No Frills on Rathburn and Renforth, which isn't too far away.

West mall drive has a very interesting mix of every housing type imaginable...

Duplexes, 3 story apartments, single detached homes, townhouses, mid rise apartments, high rise apartments...

So i think this is area is prime for development and development is slowly crawling along the Queensway. We know have development at Sherway gardens and Isilington and the Queensway and I will bet it will continue.

Also expect the highway to be re-made and they will likely try to add a lane before reducing one.

The 427 will likely be widened north of the 409 into Rexdale, Malton and Brampton from 2 lanes to 3 or 4...

I can assure you that there isn't a single lane of that highway that they can spare. The 427 recently started going through a multi-year reconstruction phase. This year the only work they are doing is rebuilding the SB 427 Express ramp to EB Gardiner and it is causing considerable chaos. -42

Couldn't agree more- I don't work in the area, but use that stretch of the 427 and the EB Gardiner ramp to come home whenever I am up north - there is so much chaos and headache involved that I often decide to exit early and take Dundas ..Removing any lanes, with or without construction would only make this stretch into massive problem..And I am not someone who advocates for highways or more lanes for highways either..

p5

Back