Toronto Dufferin Grove Village | 125.03m | 36s | Primaris | BDP Quadrangle

Interior shot of Church sanctuary,.... lots of bare bricks - like many institutional structures from mid-1960's built for the Baby Boomers,.....
View attachment 166651
http://www.torontozupa.com/site/obavijesti/starije-obavijesti-2012

Developer is proposing Rental & park space (extension of Dufferin Grove Park on west side of Dufferin),.... Developer really wants rezoning for much higher height and density so land become much more profitable,.... but this Church is at north end (next to new high density development to north at Bloor) and 2nd from Dufferin,.... thus, given transition, height and density likely higher for this site than other on Developer's property,.... IE Church's high value air-rights give Church lots of leverage,...

Oh, let there be light,.... Church should be able to negotiate for new rebuilt Church with new (joint City) Community Centre

Yes, maybe a new church will open in its place. However, the amount of people who actually go to church these days would outweigh the cost. Sigh.

Well, here we go (through not as holistically as I and likely others had hoped for); from Bailao's newsletter:

Dufferin Mall Redevelopment Open House
The owners of the Dufferin Mall (Primaris Management Inc.) are currently exploring opportunities to redevelop the surface parking lots at the north part of the mall, where the Beer Store, Penningtons, and Taco Bell/KFC are currently located. I think that your involvement in this redevelopment is crucial and I am bringing this to your attention as soon as I became aware to ensure you have an opportunity to get involved.

BIiAOW_hGsGMPnMSgGg1LOYt4bN9QL5d99fggpi7vDVuT-FBWYHftmOVd_Rd92XChHVk3XgV0OyHUskbdcjN3AhOjD3_Ly9JRF0nLlSpW-IVrxIqhKiIW281n4ONZUGOxceKGt6I0IYHaoSu_e78AUHbsP6mVQX2BYKVw7fWkEno-Q=s0-d-e1-ft

The future redevelopment of this portion of the site is intended by Primaris to:
  • Introduce new uses to the site, including purpose-built rental housing;
  • Enhance the existing mall;
  • Create a better pedestrian experience along Dufferin and Croatia streets through improved streetscaping and new retail;
  • Provide new park space to complement Dufferin Grove;
  • Replace the existing surface parking with below-grade parking.
Primaris would like to invite you their first public open house to learn about and provide feedback on their early ideas for the site and to share your thoughts on how the site should change.

Open House Details

Date: Monday January 21, 2018 (6:30-8:30pm)

Location: Bloor Collegiate Institute (Cafeteria), 1141 Bloor Street West

January 2018 ? Or 2019 ?

Yes, maybe a new church will open in its place. However, the amount of people who actually go to church these days would outweigh the cost. Sigh.

It’s not about economics,.... it’s about what’s practical.

Just like the majority of people wouldn’t be able to afford to pay for the home they live in today, if they had to buy today at today’s market value,...... the majority of churches (institutions, businesses, stores, etc,...) wouldn’t be able to afford their property today either, if they had to buy at today’s market value.

Since Church land should be able to get higher height and density, there’s incentive for Developer to do land swap with Church to move Church westward away from Dufferin next to Brockton Stadium.

The incentive for Church isn’t just to get a new rebuilt physical building,..... but an opportunity to develop a stronger community hub for their congregation - to attract more Church goer from their community. The way Churches do that these days isn’t with grand Sanctuaries,.... but with expanded social features like gyms, cafeteria/kitchens, class-rooms/meeting rooms, child-care facility, playgrounds, etc,.. basically their own Community Centre! And when they sell their air-rights to a developer, a joint City Community Centre is possible via Section 45 & Section37 Community Benefits (as was done for Lansing United Church/Community Centre with Bazis’ Emerald Park, St. George On Yonge - Anglican Church with Diamante’s Diamond Condo, etc,...)
https://www.lansingchurch.com/
https://stgeorgeonyonge.ca/

Per Bailao:

Dufferin Mall Development Meeting Update
On January 21st the owners of Dufferin Mall (Primaris Management Inc) held an open house meeting to discuss the potential for future development of the surface parking lots at the northern part of their property where the Beer Store, Penningtons, and Taco Bell/KFC are currently located. The meeting was well attended and residents had an opportunity to meet the owners and learn more about what new development the owners envision.
9ol1w3p0N5TKIOSANJWA0bH7izzerP0PBzl0dH-6Vvao-ao1qkZhWfOMzDgshkqtEP4_7oSNoms0Zx_9MpijwwwFMvoBK9RhTxf-YnXN9vh-xwspxqPdNpkXzUjptE7-F91ILxoY3pmN-PolyVkVvpHykS0q8snjlm8onHbbZthhI5jjG5hRDJfDabeZwxJOQK6BJkIVzUvDBz8EUf6xY5AyqEXv5dI3sZ0=s0-d-e1-ft

The future redevelopment of this portion of the site is intended by Primaris to:
  • Introduce new uses to the site, including purpose-built rental housing;
  • Enhance the existing mall;
  • Create a better pedestrian experience along Dufferin and Croatia streets through improved streetscaping and new retail;
  • Provide new park space to complement Dufferin Grove;
  • Replace the existing surface parking with below-grade parking.
Residents at the meeting provided comments on this including the need to ensure any new construction respects the character of the neighbourhood, local transit improvements, supporting existing retail on Bloor St W, inclusion of affordable housing and providing parkland on site to complement Dufferin Grove Park. Thank you to everyone who took the time to come out and make their voices heard early in the process. The property owners will be holding a second open house in the Spring and I will continue to share more details as they become available.
If you were not able to attend, the display boards from the open house can be downloaded at https://dufferingrovevillage.ca/the-site/. You can share your comments by emailing dufferingrovevillage@urbanstrategies.com or contacting me by email at councillor_bailao@toronto.ca.

This is an excercise to reposition the property. Chances are whatever they come up with won't be built or anytime soon.

Latest, from Bailao:

Dufferin Mall Development Update

The owners of the Dufferin Mall, Primaris REIT, are looking to redevelop the northern portion of the mall site. On April 2nd the property owners of the Dufferin Mall hosted a second public open house to share more details about their vision for the site and the meeting was well attended. Thank you to everyone who came out!

Primaris' vision for the site includes new park space, rental housing, expanded street-level and mall retail space, various buildings with heights between 14 and 39 storeys tall. It is important to note that Primaris has not submitted any formal applications to the City and that the designs and documents shown are created by Primaris. Primaris shared their site plan (shown to the right) with residents. Once their application is submitted, City Planning will begin their formal rigorous evaluation and hold public consultations with the community. I will continue to keep our community updated on this important issue and you can find the drawings and information shown at the open house at www.dufferingrovevillage.ca/the-site

They're really missing a grand opportunity to encourage heavier pedestrian traffic to the mall by creating a diagonal pedestrian walkway at Dufferin at Croatia. From there they could have created a unique development at the corner that would've tied in Dufferin St and the pedestrian walkway.

But who am i kidding, i'm sure that didnt even slip their minds.

Back