1K     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.8K     3 

Dubai Pic

Y

yyzer

Well, I thought we were busy here, but this is just amazing...8o

382174863_00b7cbb7e8_o.jpg

I'm sure one could find 20 such scenes around Dubai.
It's the boom-city de jour.

Thanks for the link, Enviro. That "World Central" is just disgusting planning, with a Hong Kong-like forest of dense skyscrapers in one area, and then suddenly across the road from it you're in a golf resort or some office park with American sprawl-like density.

In true Dubai fashion the developer should have lumped all those towers into one tower that would be built all the way to the Moon!

When it does crash, it will crash spectacularly.

AoD

in the desert, sprawl would probably be good. it would keep all that sand from flying around and who gives a damn about the heat island effect, it's the desert!

Some of those towers are craptacular and there's a whole bunch of nothing but dirt between most of them, but there sure are a lot of them.

I really wonder what'll happen to their foundations when the sea level rises two feet and all the sand washes away...

maybe Dubai will have a Shia revolution like Iran, wouldn't that be funny

The cracked-out development of Dubai feels too over-the-top to be real. I've heard that their rationale is to plan to be an economic centre when the oil runs out, but that's what's so ironic about it. When oil inevitably runs out and has to be imported at a high price how is running an indoor ski hill in a 50 degree climate going to be profitable? How will they pay to air condition enormous trade fair halls that nobody will ever use because it's a long flight from any major business city?

All the other cities that are mushrooming right now can at least be logically pieced together: Las Vegas is financed by millions of gamblers emptying their life savings on the Blackjack table, Shanghai is the leading eocnomic centre for a country of 1.3 billion that is growing by 10% a year. Dubai? It's some weird sheikdom the size of greater Ottawa in a forbidding desert. Certainly it would be a boom town, but not enough to justify having 15% of the world's heavy lift cranes operating in one city. What is going on there, and who is investing in all this madness?

That, or the previous photo - minus the cranes.

Try a photo of Detroit. (and how ironic, with one city was built on oil money, and the other was built on automobile money)

Re: Mississauga

It's a wonderful unchecked display of building in an over-moneyed climate. All 'Western flash' of course, what is expected to be percieved as a display to the world of financial might. The 'might' belongs to Americans of course. Get control of the source, no matter what the cost, and the ultimate result will be cheers and beers. With Dubai I marvel at an impressive architectural range of human engineering, but I don't envy Dubai.

Back