Toronto Dr. George Robert Grasett Park | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto

No updates. I imagine this underwhelming plaza is finished. Disappointing...

IMG_0206.JPG
IMG_0207.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0206.JPG
    IMG_0206.JPG
    260.2 KB · Views: 858
  • IMG_0207.JPG
    IMG_0207.JPG
    251.3 KB · Views: 899
There is more here than meets the eye. The etching laid out across the pavement is an intricate map of old Toronto. That being said some planters and benches with a bit of lighting would have been nice to break up the long space and make it inviting. The map design could have been continued by painting it on a bench or planter.

This would be hilarious were it not so representative of Toronto’s overall approach to public spaces. The funds could have been allocated to benches and planters which would have at least provided some much needed seating / greenery to this area.

Nowhere to sit? Not a Park.

No vegetation of any kind? Not a park.

There is room for different kinds of spaces, but no one can reasonable accept a space whose only purpose is to be seen/read is a park.

It might be history, it might be a memorial and it might be art; but it can not be a park.

park
pärk/
noun
noun: park; plural noun: parks
a large public green area in a town, used for recreation.
"a walk around the park"
synonyms: playground, play area, public garden, garden(s), green
"we were playing in the park"
  • US
    a large area of land kept in its natural state for public recreational use.

Nowhere to sit? Not a Park.

No vegetation of any kind? Not a park.

There is room for different kinds of spaces, but no one can reasonable accept a space whose only purpose is to be seen/read is a park.

It might be history, it might be a memorial and it might be art; but it can not be a park.

park
pärk/
noun
noun: park; plural noun: parks
a large public green area in a town, used for recreation.
"a walk around the park"
synonyms: playground, play area, public garden, garden(s), green
"we were playing in the park"
  • US
    a large area of land kept in its natural state for public recreational use.
There will be granite benches, trees, and an art feature: http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2017/06/new-park-begin-construction-adelaide-and-widmer

This video from last year shows what is supposed to be completed here:

(Click the Watch on Vimeo link: for some reason it's not being allowed to be cross-post played.)

For them to drop the glass and benches at this point would be a significant diminution of the park's scope and its storytelling. I cannot see that happening.

The paint is generally water-soluble so I'm less concerned about that. The problem will be when the digs / locates actually happen and are filled in with asphalt, then left to sink indefinitely...

I actually prefer foregoing the glass panels. The space is tight as it is and it would be an encumbrance. The benches are a welcome addition though.

Reactions: neo
The paint is generally water-soluble so I'm less concerned about that. The problem will be when the digs / locates actually happen and are filled in with asphalt, then left to sink indefinitely...
Ya the paint is not the concern itself, it's what follows...

I have heard that initially there were issues with obtaining the steel components on time; then the lack of funding issues cropped up, in addition to lengthy and meddling discussions with/by the city officials, were all too much to get it off the ground.

Back