Toronto Dr. George Robert Grasett Park | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto

Interesting. The renderings don't exactly knock my socks off, but Ireland Park is a remarkable space, so here's hoping this turns out as well.

How well will the glass panels endure in a space like that?

I have a feeling they might be vulnerable to vandalism.

I would almost prefer if they reduced the size of the actual memorial (while keeping the paving pattern) and added a second row of trees.

It's pretty clear that this is a monument and less a park or square. While I like the trees they are incidental to the monument and just a continuation of the rows on either side of the street. I think the scale is fine.

Is Partisans the designer? It sure looks like they might be...

1.-Gweilo-1.jpg

This name for a park is way too long to be embraced by the public.

Just call it Grassett park, if you have to. If it's too long for a domain name it's too long for a public space.

Last edited:
The name is bad, agreed, call it a memorial. My guess is they don't want to evoke a sense of sorrow in the entertainment district.
Given its small size it looks very promising, the glass netting pieces look very intriguing, and no doubt will have some interesting characteristics depending on the light through out the day.

This name for a park is way too long to be embraced by the public.
Just call it Grassett park, if you have to. If it's too long for a domain name it's too long for a public space.

There is probably some obscure piece of city protocol on naming somewhere that requires the use of full names - people will do the job of shortening it soon enough (and it isn't like Grasett is a common last name - if you can call something Allan Gardens, you can definitely have Grasett Square or Memorial).

AoD

Update:
Four years after the completion of The Daniels Corporation's Cinema Tower, a major public realm enhancement has been announced for the base of the 43-storey condominium tower. Building on the success of Ireland Park on Toronto's waterfront, the Ireland Park Foundation has again teamed up with the City of Toronto and the Government of Ireland to create a new public space that pays homage to a wave of Irish immigration that nearly tripled our city's population back in 1847.

Back