News   Mar 28, 2024
 609     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 372     0 

Downtown streets in need of TLC

dowlingm

Member Bio
Reaction score
Have been commuting by car more than usual since my kid started daycare and have noticed some of the downtown streets are getting pretty wrecked.

Gerrard from Jarvis to Bay gets worse as you travel into the city with a mix of teethrattling surface and poor lane markings approaching Yonge - even Streetview's pictures which are 2 years old show visible roughness.. Past Yonge seems to have been surfaced since Aura stopped encroaching with their construction fencing but the single lane is almost always obstructed by a delivery truck or construction vehicle.

Heading out of downtown, the stretch of Elm west of Bay needs to be realigned - eastbound traffic has only one lane but with SickKids fencing down the westbound traffic has one double wide lane. This makes no sense because eastbound it's possible to turn left onto Bay, which leads to long line-ups along with the odd car tooling up the wrong side of the road because the driver can't believe there isn't a turning lane and the lane markings are sufficiently worn that it's not abundantly clear what the score is.

Any other basketcase stretches people know of?

I certainly agree about Gerrard needing serious work, I have given up cycling on it except if essential.

Shuter Street from River to Yonge needs to be resurfaced.

Wellington from Church to York needs work but this is apparently planned for 2016 and 2017 (new water main and then new streetcar tracks)

Richmond from Spadina to Parliament needs work but the City are about to lay a new watermain (done to about University) and then TTC will lay new track from York to Church.

I agree that Adelaide needs work but first TTC have to decide if they are keeping tracks there, and then fix them!

I certainly agree about Gerrard needing serious work, I have given up cycling on it except if essential.

Shuter Street from River to Yonge needs to be resurfaced.

Wellington from Church to York needs work but this is apparently planned for 2016 and 2017 (new water main and then new streetcar tracks)

Richmond from Spadina to Parliament needs work but the City are about to lay a new watermain (done to about University) and then TTC will lay new track from York to Church.

I agree that Adelaide needs work but first TTC have to decide if they are keeping tracks there, and then fix them!

It not TTC deciding what to do with the tracks, but the city deciding on a transportation study of the core and if one way remain as is. Also, construction of towers has push TTC timetable back many years for replacing the existing tracks. They have removed the westbound tracks in many place during waterline and road construction.

Adelaide eastbound tracks need to be rebuilt over to Church as an option routing when things go wrong on either King or Queen. Too bad the Richmond westbound lane can't be built over to Spadina and would help both King and Queen at times.

Look what they did at Bay and Davenport intersection
9793125646_fd99db2f61_b.jpg

9793093615_5925fdfaf0_b.jpg

9793083765_937df13b04_b.jpg

9793095464_9aedfa17d2_b.jpg

Is there any way we could better maintain our streets, or is this just a problem with being in a temperate climate. I look at cities like Tokyo with jealousy. Their streets are buttery smooth.

Charles Street east has to be one of the worst couple of blocks in the city.

Its going to remain that way until all the towers are built.

Once the towers are done, waterline will be next and then a new road around 2017.

Its going to remain that way until all the towers are built.

Once the towers are done, waterline will be next and then a new road around 2017.

Thanks for the info. I currently live on Charles so I guess I'll just have to upgrade the shocks on my car.

Not downtown, but Carlaw is in horrendous shape too. I don't expect anything to be done about it until the current spate of construction projects are completed though. There is also talk of a crosswalk going in at Colgate & Carlaw to help accommodate the increased pedestrian traffic.

so far we have;

Gerrard
Adelaide
Shuter
Wellington
Richmond
Charles
Carlaw

and I will add another;

Lower Sherbourne as it goes under the USRC.

also, anyone else think that they replaced more sidewalks this summer than they usually do? they were replacing another one at Yonge & Gerrard today.

Back