News   May 06, 2024
 474     1 
News   May 06, 2024
 1K     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 672     1 

Downtown Mississauga Master Plan

Does Duke of York really need to have roundabouts at every intersection?

It appears they plan on putting rather large buildings along Hurontario, between the buildings that are already set far back from the street, and the street itself. That would be a tight squeeze!
I also like how they plan on opening up the park land through Kaneff Crescent for a bike trail! I've always wondered why the park land down there was never meant to be used for residents in the area. It's just a bunch of trees and garbage/swampy land.

I was there and it one step forward and 2 steps backwards.

I cannot believe they want to put on street parking on every street in the core. Goes against the idea of making a city a transit city and more of an pedestrian issue.

I have no problems with the roundabout.

They want to take Sq One Dr west of Confederation Dr right through the park and school area west of Confederation Dr of all dumb things.

I like the idea for Sheridan College and Sq One Dr, but still see the cars speeding in this area.

You can put buildings in front of the existing building on Hurontario St, but will be thin.

It shows all the major links are to be removed from the Mall including Wal-Mart.

Sq One needs to reinvent itself from a single level to something like Eaton Centre and add more to it to make it a 7/24 centre.

Starting in May 2010, Rathburn is going under major construction for the next 18 months building the ROW for the BRT. A number of MT routes will be removed from the terminal with 26 staying on Burnhamthorpe 100%.

You will not be able to get onto Rathburn off Hurontario in Dec if not sooner as a new ramp is being built to connect to City View. You will have to go over to Duke of York to get to Sq One. The existing ramp will be used for transit only.

Rathburn will be reduce to single lane of traffic. I would like to see the ROW on the north side, but not sure where the infrastructure are for this to work.

Every other LRT is to bypass Sq One and only use City Centre to go north-south. No problem with this if the headway is under 10 minutes.

It was said the ridership will be heavier north of Sq One than the south and find that hard to believe considering there is less land north to create a density area to do that than the south.

It shows all the major links are to be removed from the Mall including Wal-Mart.

Sq One needs to reinvent itself from a single level to something like Eaton Centre and add more to it to make it a 7/24 centre.

Pardon my ignorance but I'm not sure I understand the meaning of these two statements.

Quote Originally Posted by drum118 View Post

Pardon my ignorance but I'm not sure I understand the meaning of these two statements.

I should had said major tenants like Wal-Mart, Zellers, Sears, and the Bay as they don't do enough business like the rest of the stores. What plant are these guys from since Wal-Mart is the big draw in the first place.

To do what the City see, the mall has to go up a number of floors. You could add a sport field and other thing on top as well office space

Wal-Mart has been looking at adding a 3 floor to the building and making it a 7/24 store for over the past 5 years. It has a permit to do the 7/24 years.

Need to add some entertainment places and a community centre. Before Omers took over the mall, there was to be a bowling center, pool hall and a number of other entertainment added. Part of that got bury when that section was redsign and built after a year delay.

Parking goes underground and you will have to pay to park.

Interesting, I didn't notice the changes to Walmart when I first looked at the file. In some renderings, it is separated by a road; in others it disappears; and in a couple it is still attached to the mall. Does anyone know if this is simply due to uncertainty over Walmart's future status or is it simply artistic license?

I didn't notice any slides with Zellers severed. I must have missed them; which slide #'s show this?

I didn't notice any slides with Zellers severed. I must have missed them; which slide #'s show this?
Slide 52 shows Zellers separated from the mall. Also, Sears and the transit terminal are replaced with generic midrise buildings on this slide.

There certainly are a lot of variations from slide to slide. Is this due to some flexibility in the future plans; an issue of multiple conceptual artists; or were the slides compiled from different teams shortly before the presentation without time to standardize the plans?

I think the plans are not solid "this is what's going to happen" type of plans. I think they're just artistic visions of "what could be".

The final report and plans go before Council on April 19 at 7:00 p.m

No need for on street parking.

Looks very promising. It's hard to believe Mississauga could have that kind of tranformation over the next decade.

Someone in Mississauga seems to understand that it's going to take more than a bunch of highrise condos to create an urban core.

They've always understood that. If Mississauga had bottomless pockets, they would have built more civic buildings and parks and speculative office towers and so on by now. It's not like courthouses and colleges and churches and corporate headquarters magically appear out of thin air as soon as a city drafts plans for them. If they wanted nothing but residential buildings, they could have turned the whole area over to Tridel, Greenpark, Monarch, etc., and gotten every plot of land inhabited before now.

Back