News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 569     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 872     0 

Downtown Grocery Store List (current + proposed)

^I'm not surprised that F&W is history! The area doesn't have enough residents to support a ripoff-priced grocery store, especially when you can eat for cheaper in DD restaurants! Of course, we all know most condo folks drive cars (zip car or personal vehicle), and there's a cheaper Sobey's within a 5 minute walk and just 10 minutes away, SLM.

And now the Sun Building's No Frills. It puts F&W's business model in serious doubt.

Last edited:
I live in the neighbourhood and have been seriously disappointed by F&W. The problems for me were the terrible selection, the produce was often bad, and the service was nearly non-existent. Also, the prices were too high for the quality. If a Whole Foods were to replace it I would shop there almost exclusively. The Distillery is a tricky spot for retail. I wonder what will end up there.

^All the reasons you state for not liking it were caused by lack of customers (minus the high prices--in today's world, F&W has no right to exist. It reminds me of Harvest Wagon--a pointless operation.) Lack of customers means a shop must reduce staff, reduce selection, reduce turnover. It's the reality of business. A Whole Foods wouldn't be viable in that location. Queen East Beach area? Perfect fit. DD--hell no!

Maybe it's my memories of Euro-travel, but I'd love to see this logo popping around Toronto
spar-logo.gif

^All the reasons you state for not liking it were caused by lack of customers (minus the high prices--in today's world, F&W has no right to exist. It reminds me of Harvest Wagon--a pointless operation.) Lack of customers means a shop must reduce staff, reduce selection, reduce turnover. It's the reality of business. A Whole Foods wouldn't be viable in that location. Queen East Beach area? Perfect fit. DD--hell no!

Well Beachers do eat and drink, but thats about it. Their are all too often house poor to do anyhting else.
There is the start of the migration of Business from Queen East up to the Danforth. Many non- restaurant businesses on Queen East (Kingston Road to Victoria Park) are suffering!

No frills has big expansion plans in downtown and Sun building No frills will be up and running before the end of this year. I wonder what will happen to Sobey's on Front / Sherbourne as they dont own that land and Regent park Sobeys coming up soon. This particular Sobeys was a temporary location since day one and with No frills coming up across the road, this Sobeys is bound to close. Residential buildings in this area are mostly dominated by subsidised Toronto housing apartments and people in this area desperately need this No Frills.

Last edited:
Yeah, even RP getting a Sobey's instead of No Frills puzzles me. Are they purposely trying to make gov't subsidized people spend more (gov't) money on food?

For basic food, NF's can't be beat! I get my meat from Butcher by Nature (Annette and Runnymede--their sausages are the best!) or Rowe farms, some organic veggies from Sweet Potato, good cheese around Roncevalles area, but my basics come from No Thrills--why would anyone pay $2 for a can of tomatoes when NF's sells you the same can for .79?

No frills has big expansion plans in downtown and Sun building No frills will be up and running before the end of this year. I wonder what will happen to Sobey's on Front / Sherbourne as they dont own that land and Regent park Sobeys coming up soon. This particular Sobeys was a temporary location since day one and with No frills coming up across the road, this Sobeys is bound to close. Residential buildings in this area are mostly dominated by subsidised Toronto housing apartments and people in this area desperately need this No Frills.

Yeah, even RP getting a Sobey's instead of No Frills puzzles me. Are they purposely trying to make gov't subsidized people spend more (gov't) money on food?

For basic food, NF's can't be beat! I get my meat from Butcher by Nature (Annette and Runnymede--their sausages are the best!) or Rowe farms, some organic veggies from Sweet Potato, good cheese around Roncevalles area, but my basics come from No Thrills--why would anyone pay $2 for a can of tomatoes when NF's sells you the same can for .79?

I quite like the little Front St. Sobey's. Of course the prices are not as low as No Frills, but they're not *that* ridiculous, most products are comparable to the local competition, ie. Market Square Metro and Queen's Quay Loblaws, and depending on the product or sales some things can be cheaper. I think Sobey's deserves some credit for being the first to open a proper grocery store in this part of the city, improving the neighbourhood by repurposing an ugly warehouse, and having the guts to open a grocery with almost zero public parking. I'm exciting about the potential No Frills in the Sun Building, but I'll be happiest if the Sobey's remains. Nothing like a little competition to keep the prices at both honest. If anything, the No Frills will instead wipe out the Rabba on the corner of Front and Sherbourne.

Price is important, but it's not everything, and there are many, many new condos springing up in the area (Pure Spirits, East Lofts, Rezen, Vu, soon to be joined by the King East, Clear Spirits, Market Wharf, and many others I'm sure I'm forgetting). Lots of population here to support multiple food options. All we need is an LCBO (in the Sun Building, or maybe in the Distillery?) and we'll be all set.

IMO, the Sobey's in Regent Park should've been their Price Chopper brand, leaving the Front St. store a Sobey's.

This just in regarding the Toronto Sun Building..

TORONTO ON M5A 3X5

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 10 148311 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Apr 9, 2010

Project: Multiple Use/Non Residential Interior Alterations

Description: Interior alterations to portion of ground floor for new retail store. Tenant - "No Frills". See PPR 10 110364.

So that rumour is CONFIRMED.

There was a suggestion that a Sobey's would open in College Park; the Druxy's and Cultures restaurants, which are adjacent to each other at 777 Bay, are moving to other locations within the complex. That will free up a lot of space.

Back