News   Apr 18, 2024
 4.5K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.2K     4 

Greenbelt developments

Mongo

Member Bio
Reaction score
Doug Ford assured developers he plans to open up Greenbelt to housing development

Doug Ford has privately assured developers he will “open a big chunk” of the Greenbelt of protected GTHA farmland to build housing if the Progressive Conservatives win the June 7 election.

In a video recorded Feb. 12 and shared with the media Monday by the governing Liberals, Ford said the 800,000-hectare swath of land is “just farmer fields.”

“It’s right beside a community. We need to open that up and create a larger supply,” he said, noting that will lead to “price drops” in housing in the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area.

I'm hoping this will be the beginning of his demise. This is outrageous and so backwards.
Anyone I know who has an opinion in the 705 hates constant residential expansion into previously owned farm properties.
I just don' know if it's enough for them to accept Wynne. If only there was a new leader to get behind...

Hahaha. Damage control--is this official PC policy?

Sam Oosterhoff‏Verified account@samoosterhoff
To be clear: we believe in protecting the Greenbelt. Anything we look at to allow for much needed housing development, we will do in a measured and sustainable way: we will add the equivalent land to the Greenbelt. That means there will not be an inch less of protected land.
Why some 20 year old is in Queen's Park will forever be beyond me

I'm hoping this will be the beginning of his demise. This is outrageous and so backwards.
On the contrary, it's just further propels his accession into power. Developers and their friends absolutely love this and will flock to vote for him. Add to that the bundles of homeowners who truthfully believe that they are priced out of the market because of the Greenbelt, and well you get the idea.

Anyone I know who has an opinion in the 705 hates constant residential expansion into previously owned farm properties.
I just don' know if it's enough for them to accept Wynne. If only there was a new leader to get behind...

I want neither, but Wynne? She is an utter joke as is Ford.

The greenbelt is mostly in the 905. It has forced development beyond - which is the 705.

I hate to be that guy, but do we really need 3 different Doug Ford threads?

As for the topic of this thread, the pressure to build in the Greenbelt will continue as our population grows.

I'm getting a kick out of all the fake outrage from the same people who are against density increases in their own neighborhoods.

CANADA

January 9, 2018 3:35 pm
Updated: January 9, 2018 9:27 pm
Population density in Toronto significantly less compared to other major cities: Fraser Institute
By Erica VellaDigital Broadcast Journalist Global News

Whether you live or commute in Toronto, all would agree that there is a lot of congestion in the city. Has Toronto become too dense in population? Erica Vella has the answers.

A A

A new study from the Fraser Institute says cities in Canada are significantly less dense than other major cities around the world.

The study lists population densities of 30 cities in high income and developed countries, and Vancouver, Montreal and Toronto come 13th, 16th and 19th on the list, respectively.

The most dense city listed is Hong Kong, with 25,719 people per square kilometre.

Fraser Institute senior policy analyst Josef Filipowicz said because Canadian cities are less dense, places like Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver can likely accommodate more housing supply.

“Toronto is a large growing city that is facing an affordability crunch,” Filipowicz said.

“What we found in our study is that there is a lot of room for Toronto to grow, notably upwards, through population density…When you compare Toronto to other North American or world cities in other high income countries, Toronto and other Canadian cities are not all that dense.”

LISTEN: Fraser Institute senior policy analyst Josef Filipowicz talks to Global Newsradio 640 Toronto

According to the study, Toronto has 4,457 people per square kilometre, Montreal has 4,916 people per square kilometre and Vancouver, Canada’s densest city, has 5,493 people per square kilometre.

The population density in New York City is more than double Toronto’s, with 10,935 people per square kilometre.

“Certainly, city hall and the province want more density [and] there is plenty of room to do it,”Filipowicz said.

“Toronto faces constraints on growing outwards. We have lake Ontario and provincial policy that makes it difficult to grow outward…so the only option that remains if wants to continue growing as a city is upwards, through higher population density.”

The list also includes Canadian cities like Mississauga with 2,468 people per square kilometre and Calgary with 2,112 people per square kilometre.

WATCH: Alan Carter speaks with Doug Saunders about population density

GTNH_2018_01_09_TorDensity_848x480_1133260867610.jpg

upload_2018-4-30_22-32-39-png.141904

© 2018 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.
https://globalnews.ca/news/3954609/population-density-in-toronto-fraser-institute/

Brave Sir Dougie ran away.
Bravely ran away away.
When danger reared it's ugly head,
He bravely turned his tail and fled.
Yes, brave Sir Dougie turned about
And gallantly he chickened out.
Swiftly taking to his feet,
He beat a very brave retreat.
Bravest of the brave, Sir Dougie!

Back