News   Apr 18, 2024
 5.4K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.3K     4 

Donlands area?

kaitlyn2004

Member Bio
Reaction score
Does anyone live (or has recently lived) in the Donlands area? Seems like it has turned around, has a number of good shops in the area... I know there is some planned TTC construction in the area to add a 2nd entrance to the donlands subway station..

What do you like or dislike about the area? Good place to live?

It is a good area. Although prices have increased significantly over the past few years, I believe you still get good value relative to the west end. Also, you have good access to transit and the DVP. Regarding local shops, you have Fresh from the Farm just south of O'Connor and Donlands. The owners are very friendly and their selection of organic products is great. As for the Danforth, as everyone knows, the character of area changes east of Pape/Jones. Nonetheless, there are some very good indo-pakistani restaurants in the area, especially Makkah, and many of the restaurants are kid friendly - Aji Sai, Magic Oven, etc...

I heard about the 2nd entrance (exit only?) planned for the donlands station which could be disruptive...

Sadly I don't like pakistani food but there does appear to be a number of "western chains" west of dewhurst which is the kind of food I like! :)

I heard about the 2nd entrance (exit only?) planned for the donlands station which could be disruptive...
Exit only. Corner of Dewhurst and Strathmore. Not sure why it would be disruptive ... I'm sure the next-door neighbour wouldn't be thrilled, but I don't see how this would even as disruptive as the main Greenwood entrance at Linnsmore and Strathmore.

Yeah, the second exit thing will have no impact on the desirability of the area. It's a NIMBY issue that's been made worse by some terrible communication practices by the TTC.

I was actually looking at a house on strathmore for sale and it turns out that it is likely one of the houses to be expropriated... with demolition right across the street! Absolute decrease in land value + MAJOR headache!

I was actually looking at a house on strathmore for sale and it turns out that it is likely one of the houses to be expropriated... with demolition right across the street! Absolute decrease in land value + MAJOR headache!
I'd say buying a house scheduled for expropriation is a major headache ... and that would seriously impact the current landowner, until the plan is finalized, and he get's what it's worth. But other than that it doesn't seem to be any more disruptive than if the neighbouring property was redeveloped ... which presumably will happen along Danforth, so any house on Strathmore backing onto Danforth should expect this at some point ... but surely everyone who lives there is well aware of that ... it's been coming for 50 years now. You don't buy a house adjacent to a major artery and not expect that big things could change.

aitlyn2004,
You may want to consider the homes on Donlands between Strathmore and Sammon.
It's only a short walk to the subway.
I lived near Aldwich for 21 years.

Back