News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 627     0 

Does anyone volunteer (if so where) ?

taal

Member Bio
Reaction score
I realized there was a similarly titled thread after creating this but I'm not quite asking the same question.

I'm curious, for anyone that volunteers (I'm sure some here do), where / what do you do ? (this does not have to be related to architecture or this forum at all).

I ask because I'd like to volunteer but I am trying to get ideas as to what people do.
I've looked around and I do see all the typical openings / soup kitchens and the like, which sound great, but I'm curious what else is out there !

Thanks !

I'm on the executive of one of the ROM's committees, and encourage beneficence towards and engagement with the Museum whenever I meet someone who I think may enjoy it.

I volunteer for TIFF, not just during the festival but year-round. I do online mentoring for new Canadians. I'm about to start my annual volunteer stint completing income tax forms for seniors, students, and new Canadians. I used to volunteer in community theatre and want to get back into that.

Running & Readings program at disadvantaged schools (Regent Park, for example)

Thanks a lot everyone !

Keep the replies coming, it's nice to see different possibilities, some I never knew existed and would likely have never thought of. I will definitely check out that site as well.

Thanks again.

Not anymore - but I used to be a volunteer interpreter at Mt. Sinai Hospital; also volunteered at the medical library there.

AoD

I volunteer on my building's Tenant Association and as we've affected (and continue to affect) positive change, it's been very rewarding. Next up I am going to get involved with the Church Wellesley Neighbourhood Association (CWNA), I want to work with the heritage group to get a complete inventory of buildings within the CWNA's boundaries and then work to get unprotected buildings listed, and eventually designated.

The hospitals (especially UHN) are always looking for volunteers. Extremely wide range of options available: lots of patient contact, or none at all, administrative work, customer service, etc. something for everybody really.

Only downside is they require a 4-6 month commitment usually, and for either a 3-4 hour shift once a week (say 9-12 or 1-4) for the same day every week, mostly Mon-Fri.

I just finished up several months of volunteering at Princess Maragret and it was a wonderful and worthwhile experience.

Another option for those who want to do more one off kind of volunteering rather than long term commitments, check out:

Second Harvest
Food Bank
CHUM Charity Toy Drive
Heart and Stroke Foundation
Canadian Cancer Society

I volunteer at a Foodbank and an Animal Shelter.

Neither of them are in Toronto I am one of them lowly 905 ers :D

Back