News   Apr 23, 2024
 219     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 362     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1K     0 

Do we need a Toronto Aquarium? Not according to Jean-Michel Cousteau.

I believe that you may need to read up a bit more on what LEED is. LEED doesn't just govern hallway lightning, low flush toliets, and insulation. It is everything to do with the building's construction and operation - LEED points are awarded for separating garbage during construction, for minimizing energy consumption, for utilizing recycled materials, for saving water, for sourcing materials locally, and for a whole host of other things. It most certainly does not only cover the 'general areas'. Energy consumption, which is exactly what you are referring to, is definitely covered under the LEED System.

Not only that, but I'm assuming that this building is to be run as a profitable enterprise, which would hopefully mean that any costs associated with ridiculous energy usage would be offset by the ticket sales for entrance.

Also, do you have any verifiable evidence that this building will require energy input equivalent to a small city? You sound pretty certain, so I'm assuming that you can back up that claim and aren't talking out of your ass. Do you have proof that this building will require more energy input than any other gigantic building? Will this building use more energy than First Canadian Place, or TD Centre, or Royal Bank Plaza?

We have greenhouses that use lots of energy to maintain climates not native to this part of the world. Are those then not worthwhile enterprises either? What is the metric that you are using, is it simply energy consumption, or must there be a certain outcome for it to be worthwhile? Is education and conservation of aquatic life (both freshwater and saltwater) not a worthwhile enterprise? Would this venture be OK by you if it simply stuck with freshwater species? Isn't it worth educating 'landlubbers' on the wonders of saltwater species, because even though we may be far removed from them, we also contribute to their consumption and destruction?

Oh, and they already ship in salt to Toronto on a yearly basis. There are gigantic stacks of the stuff in the Port Lands. Talk a walk down to Unwin Drive and have a look.

Last edited:
Don't bother Wopchop, 99% of the forumers have something stuck up their ass and will do everything they can to find some sort of fault out of this project.

I still be very interested to see what the finaly product will be. Hopefully it won't disappoint us and be a waste a time.

Back