News   Mar 18, 2024
 806     0 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 2.7K     4 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 784     0 

Do Torontians really like this kind of stuff?

NotKevinBacon

Member Bio
Reaction score
I know these buildings are actually nothing new. But do we really like them? I think that OCAD looks especially horrible. Like something from a very bad kids show (Teletubbies, Lazy Town). I still find it ridiculous to look at and I really don't know - what kind of people appreciate it? Hipsters? So fellow Torontians, what is YOUR opinion?

I think they're great. They push the limits of architecture and enliven the city's built form. They get world attention. Torontonians used to merely watch in awe as this sort of fantastic architecture went up in other places. One such place in Canada was Montreal. Now we can find some of the world's most interesting and creative architecture at home in our city, which is something to enjoy and be proud of. Everyone should appreciate it.

Not only Torontonians, but Londoners too. At least, Londoners at the V&A do, because they included OCAD in their exhibition last year of the best of post war British design.

OCAD and the AGO are almost universally approved of, but debates on the ROM Crystal would probably turn into fistfights if computers weren't in the way.

Back