Discovery Condos (Concord Park Place) - Real Estate -

asiancolossus

Member Bio
Reaction score
I apologize in advance to the moderator if I've created a new thread when I am not supposed to. Please let me know and I will move it, the main thread seems to talk more about the site development.

I have put a deposit on a unit in Discovery 1 and the development has been going on for over 2 years and they are about to start sales for Discovery 2. It doesn't seem like this is a very popular thread on this board, compared to City Place and there seems to have been a lot of complaints about the maintenance and shoddy building materials of Cityplace. Given that Concord Adex is involved in both projects, wondering if I could find some people on here who actually are buying into this development and hopefully can give me some optimistic comments about living here. We can also compare notes on what we've found out so far.

Thanks in advance!

Not sure why the main thread is not popular this is going to be a huge development, apparently much bigger than Cityplace.

Not sure why the main thread is not popular this is going to be a huge development, apparently much bigger than Cityplace.

There's less interest in Concord Park Place because it is located in North York, rather than downtown TO which is where most interest tends to be focused on by the UT forum ~

With regards to what to expect, I am not a purchaser here, but based on past record of Concord Adex, I'm not expecting anything that'll amaze you in the interiors .... but according to Concord Adex staff, they now have an in-house interior design team for Concord Park Place, rather than contracting out projects' interior design work individual for Cityplace previously ... so they 'say' the quality of design should be 'higher' and more 'consistent'

Thanks Solaris for that information. Where did you hear about this?
When I signed on I was very surprised that many of the typical upgrades were included such as stainless steel appliances, BUT what I was not too thrilled about was that there was only three selections for kitchen and bathroom in terms of cabinetry, countertops and flooring. They all came in a package and you could NOT mix and match. I think I recall reading that this is becoming more standard in order to save costs, but still, you'd think that you could at least choose your floor colouring amongst the three that you like and mix and match but they didn't even allow this.

most if not all builders are like that. I don't like it either, but there's no choice. You'll just have to change it later if you really want to.

I bought at Park Place. It's got subway access, it's not far from where I am now and I figure it won't have some of the problems CityPlace does (in so far as the crime and all that, that's been cited). As far as the quality goes, I'm hoping for the best, but expecting it to be a bit better than CityPlace. I can't imagine there will be something I can't fix up later on. I wasn't bothered too much about the pre-packaged selections, but I'm not too picky when it comes to that anyhow, so long as it's functional. There seems to be a lot of counter space, and I like the island. The appliances are perhaps a bit small though--I'm not crazy about the combined washer/dryer unit.

I bought at Park Place. It's got subway access, it's not far from where I am now and I figure it won't have some of the problems CityPlace does (in so far as the crime and all that, that's been cited). As far as the quality goes, I'm hoping for the best, but expecting it to be a bit better than CityPlace. I can't imagine there will be something I can't fix up later on. I wasn't bothered too much about the pre-packaged selections, but I'm not too picky when it comes to that anyhow, so long as it's functional. There seems to be a lot of counter space, and I like the island. The appliances are perhaps a bit small though--I'm not crazy about the combined washer/dryer unit.

Hey condolier, nice to meet you! You are the first person I've encountered who has bought the place. Which unit did you get? How long ago did you buy and did you have any deals? I got 10% off at closing, but stupid me, I asked about the HST but don't recall the answer now, I think we have to pay for it upfront and apply for the rebate. Which colour scheme did you go for? I went for the black, I don't know if it'll stand the test of time but I've always wanted the black countertop look. I'm hoping that the quality will be decent and they don't screw us over with the floor plans too much. Thanks, hopefully we can compare notes, I'd be really curious as to why you chose Park Place.

I went with suite 9. Bought it earlier this year, the discount they had at that time was 15%. I didn't ask about HST, but I think I'm ok, since it was before the June 20th (?) cut-off. I guess I should look into that, although there's probably not much I can do at this point anyway. I didn't opt for the black.. always wants a lighter look, so I went for the middle one (classic, I think?), the white was a bit too stark for me. Which suite did you get?

I ended up buying the place pretty quickly, heard about it in the morning and bought it in the afternoon. Location was a good one for me, and everything else seemed fine, much of which was on the advice of my real estate agent and a friend of mine. Why did you choose Park Place?

Do you remember how high the ceilings are? I thought I'd read they were 9' somewhere, but I can't find that anywhere, so I'm thinking it's probably 8'.

I went with suite 9. Bought it earlier this year, the discount they had at that time was 15%. I didn't ask about HST, but I think I'm ok, since it was before the June 20th (?) cut-off. I guess I should look into that, although there's probably not much I can do at this point anyway. I didn't opt for the black.. always wants a lighter look, so I went for the middle one (classic, I think?), the white was a bit too stark for me. Which suite did you get?

I ended up buying the place pretty quickly, heard about it in the morning and bought it in the afternoon. Location was a good one for me, and everything else seemed fine, much of which was on the advice of my real estate agent and a friend of mine. Why did you choose Park Place?

Do you remember how high the ceilings are? I thought I'd read they were 9' somewhere, but I can't find that anywhere, so I'm thinking it's probably 8'.

Hey, good for you on the 15%. I heard the 20/20 deal went by really fast when it came out in 2007 and two years ago there was no way I could afford the down payment. I splurged and did the townhouse and they gave me 10% off at closing and the plus is that the parking and locker is included for townhouses. As for the 9 foot ceilings, I was asking on another thread about this, advantages and such, and for the townhouses yes for sure its 9 foot ceilings. For the condos not sure, but I think it is over a certain floor that the 9 foot ceilings kick in. Good you got in early, the only hesitancy really is the condo fees at 0.45 per square foot but I guess that is pretty standard for new developments. I hope that we will have most if not all the amenities when we move in.

Neighbours

Well hello fellow future Concord Parkplace neighbours and stakeholders!

I've been following the threads and it's a bit disappointing that there hasn't been as much activity or discussion about it, but probably believe that more people will come out of the woodwork to talk about it when construction really gets going by the end of the year or next year.

I bought into the condos in Building 'D' when it first came out. Actually I bought into Building 'C' but then I believe they took out the condo and replaced it with Townhouses.

I've chosen based mostly on location and it's going to take awhile for that whole area to be fully built so it's an exciting convenient area for me. I mean think about this - I can eat the specials at Ikea and McDonalds there, if I get a heart attack I mean the hospital is nearby and if there's a fire in the area there's a fire station nearby. The highways are close by and I think it's in the middle of going N/S/E/W to the other GTA areas and back. It's also situated near 2 subway stations and that could be convenient getting to places if you don't want to drive sometimes.

I find the Yonge/Sheppard area is overvalued although I like that area but it's too pricey. I bought into the NY towers before but some of the buildings in my opinion look bland from the outside except the Tops.

I've compared with other condo developments in the area such as Aria, The Arc, The Bayview, etc....and I think for the value I like Concord. As for the quality, I too am a bit skeptical as to what will really become of these condos but hoping that it doesn't SUCK!

Living beside an Ikea and Canadian Tire ...hmm.. that's something I'll find out when the time comes. And about the traffic, well as long as it doesn't become like the intersection like Yonge/Sheppard, I think I'm ok with it. I think until I actually walk into the place for the pre-inspection that's when I know what exactly I'll be really living in and the space. Time will tell I guess!

PS. The amenities hopefully will not suck either... and yah, let's compare info and opinions. The more information we have the better!

Last edited:
Well hello fellow future Concord Parkplace neighbours and stakeholders!

I've been following the threads and it's a bit disappointing that there hasn't been as much activity or discussion about it, but probably believe that more people will come out of the woodwork to talk about it when construction really gets going by the end of the year or next year.

I bought into the condos in Building 'D' when it first came out. Actually I bought into Building 'C' but then I believe they took out the condo and replaced it with Townhouses.

I've chosen based mostly on location and it's going to take awhile for that whole area to be fully built so it's an exciting convenient area for me. I mean think about this - I can eat the specials at Ikea and McDonalds there, if I get a heart attack I mean the hospital is nearby and if there's a fire in the area there's a fire station nearby. The highways are close by and I think it's in the middle of going N/S/E/W to the other GTA areas and back. It's also situated near 2 subway stations and that could be convenient getting to places if you don't want to drive sometimes.

I find the Yonge/Sheppard area is overvalued although I like that area but it's too pricey. I bought into the NY towers before but some of the buildings in my opinion look bland from the outside except the Tops.

I've compared with other condo developments in the area such as Aria, The Arc, The Bayview, etc....and I think for the value I like Concord. As for the quality, I too am a bit skeptical as to what will really become of these condos but hoping that it doesn't SUCK!

Living beside an Ikea and Canadian Tire ...hmm.. that's something I'll find out when the time comes. And about the traffic, well as long as it doesn't become like the intersection like Yonge/Sheppard, I think I'm ok with it. I think until I actually walk into the place for the pre-inspection that's when I know what exactly I'll be really living in and the space. Time will tell I guess!

PS. The amenities hopefully will not suck either... and yah, let's compare info and opinions. The more information we have the better!

Hey nice to meet you! I agree about the traffic, it looks like it'll be ok, but unfortunately as they expand that area is going to be like a zoo. Yonge and Sheppard is definitely overbought. For example I looked at Hullmark, which looks awesome! About a week ago they listed their 2BR plus den 1513 square feet at 900K, I thought that was steep, today they listed it at 960K!! I couldn't believe it! But I hear its a pretty hot property right now but prices are more expensive than a lot of the downtown condos so I think its too much. For 300 bucks per square foot less we get Park Place. I have also checked out Aria, and The Bayview, they are also going for over 500 per square foot but grant it their designs and furnishings look far superior.

I think the furnishings will not be great but they look ok, I'm not thrilled by the lack of choice but that is how they keep the units down I guess. By the way one of the threads mentions window dressing, we aren't getting any of those are we?

I thought building D was Discovery2? You must have gotten a great deal by getting in so early. I'm in building A. I did not want to face east as it faces the GO train track but there was a unit that I loved a lot more but I didn't think I should risk the noise (I'm on the ground floor so it MIGHT be a proglem). Right now I am facing south. It is SO difficult to get an idea of size and proximity of things by looking at diagrams and maps. Oh by the way you had a assignment clause in your contract right? I hear that is one of those things that is pretty tricky between builders in case you change your mind and want to flip.

I think I am trapped by the HST, I asked about it and I think they said I have to pay it and get part of it back (75%) BUT there is the issue of over 400K and under 400K which I don't quite understand. I think you get the rebate for the portion under 400K.

Keep in touch, I am looking forward to moving to this location. Currently in Markham and want to be more centrally located.

Yes, Building 'D' and 'E' are part of Discovery 2. I didn't buy as early as the Building 'A' and 'B' back then as I wasn't sure if I wanted to buy into the project while I was still shopping around and checking the other condo developments in the area.

Yup, I have an assignment clause somewhere in the contract but I haven't quite looked at the contract in a long time and it's probably gathering dust. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with what's happening with the HST. Contracts and taxes I'll leave that to the pros in this forum to answer but I think there might be some threads on that in the other topics.

Hi all,

I also bought a unit from Concord Parkplace. I am in building D. I went by the office the other day and i was told that my building won't be ready until December 2011.

December 2011? Are you serious? They delayed it for....one year? When are they going to send those letters out to inform purchasers about the delay? December 2011 is really saying sometime in 2012.

Back