News   Apr 19, 2024
 831     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Differences between outer 416 and 905

King of Kensington

Member Bio
Reaction score
On the whole there are significant socioeconomic, cultural and built form differences between Outer Toronto/inner suburbs and the 905.

The main differences seem to be

Outer 416 was built up by 1970 for the most part, 905 is mostly post-1980 suburbia with an almost "sunbelt" typology

A lot more high rise apartments in the 416. They exist in 905 too but to a much smaller degree (mostly in older parts of Mississauga); 905 is much more skewed to SFHs

While the far eastern fringe of Scarborough is pretty much Durham Region and older Mississauga feels pretty much like an extension of Etobicoke, overall the differences on the whole are pretty notable IMO.

905 is a big area.

YNM4NQR3H5ATLI5AWP3ZWYNS34

Outer Toronto
Detached 32%
5+ storey apartment 41%

Detached 57%
5+ storey apartment 13%

I think as you have mentioned it has more to do with the era - older parts of Sauga and York Region (Thornhill) is similar to parts of Toronto built around the same time. You also see that shift in feel for development around the 80s.

AoD

A lot more high rise apartments in the 416. They exist in 905 too but to a much smaller degree (mostly in older parts of Mississauga); 905 is much more skewed to SFHs
Oakville and Burlington have a lot of high rises too (I'm leaving out Hamilton, which is 905, but I think you meant to exclude it). They mostly went up in the 60's and 70's in clusters in the same way they did in the outer-416, like this one of many little pockets of them in Burlington. Or this one.
Remember that while they were much smaller, Burlington and Oakville have been developed urban areas south of the QEW since it was built. It was only about the early to mid-80's when the sprawl really exploded to fill in all the space between the QEW and Highway 5, but huge swaths of land were developed long before that south of the QEW, and there were lots of industrial jobs along the rail corridor to attract people there.

Last edited:
Yes, there are high rises throughout the GTA (and that typology in the Burlington is pretty common throughout Ontario). But the differences between 416 and 905 is a difference in kind I think.

Thornhill

Detached 50%
5+ storey apartment 30%

Before 1980 27%

Mississauga

Detached 38%
5+ storey apartment 26%

Before 1980 39%

Oakville

Detached 61%
5+ storey apartment 12%

Before 1980 32%

Thornhill and Mississauga are the most "416-like" of the suburbs. Oakville is more of an affluent outer suburb more dominated by SFHs.

Back