327     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 339     0 

Dick's Sporting Goods

TOareaFan

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Bit of a rumour but here goes...someone told me that they heard that Dick's was scouting around for locations in the GTA....anyone heard of them locating any stores here?

Bit of a rumour but here goes...someone told me that they heard that Dick's was scouting around for locations in the GTA....anyone heard of them locating any stores here?

Haven't heard anything myself. But if I had to guess, Heartland would be either first or one of their first locations (like Best Buy, Krispy Kreme, Marshalls, et al.)

Forzani?

Ya, more competition in this market would be a good thing. I would be okay with seeing them come here if they're decent. Never been to one myself.

Foranzi owns Sport Chek, Sport Mart, Atmosphere, National Sports, and also the Athletes World stores (just a place for overpriced shoes and branded hoodies). I also believe they own the Quebec-only Sports Experts brand.

Foranzi owns Sport Chek, Sport Mart, Atmosphere, National Sports, and also the Athletes World stores (just a place for overpriced shoes and branded hoodies). I also believe they own the Quebec-only Sports Experts brand.

Yes they do.

It would not shock me if Dick's bought something like National Sports to get a foot on the ground to expand from.

They do also own Sports Experts, although they do have Sports Experts in Ottawa and New Brunswick, as well as Quebec, IRCC.

What ever possessed them to have so many different brands? And I thought Loblaws had branding problems.

Wouldn't Sports Authority be another candidate to come here? Or is Dick's bigger?

Sports Experts is a franchised banner....so is Intersport

Dick's are well over 50,000sf where I have seen them, i.e. Buffalo. The largest SportChek would probably be 30,000 or so.

Maybe Dick's is coming here to maximize th value of all that advertising they have at BMO Field. As a league sponsor with MLS they get prominent ad space on the sidelines (for the US tv audience) maybe they said "heck, every week 20k sports fans see our signs we might as well sell 'em some crap!"

What ever possessed them to have so many different brands? And I thought Loblaws had branding problems.

Wouldn't Sports Authority be another candidate to come here? Or is Dick's bigger?

Heh heh...you said "Dick's bigger...."

Snickering aside, wasn't Sports Authority in the Toronto area at one point? Or am I misremembering the chain?

Dick's stores are often two-story affairs with quite a large spectrum of sporting goods sold, including hunting/camping/fishing stuff. Closest thing up here is probably the SportChek/Atmosphere at Eaton Centre, but unlike that one (which is a warren of smaller spaces) they're usually quite open-concept.

Snickering aside, wasn't Sports Authority in the Toronto area at one point? Or am I misremembering the chain?

One of the big American sporting goods chains did come up to Canada in the late 1990s - I can't remember which one. They completely bungled the expansion and stand as one of the few examples of a big box American retail chain that failed in Canada.

Back