News   Apr 18, 2024
 697     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 6.3K     2 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 

Decreased Travel and Wait Times Key to Improving Public Transit

To be a bit more fair to the TTC, the reliability varies heavily depending on the route. Subways are far more reliable than streetcars or buses, so if both ends of your commute are near subway stations I think it is more than feasible to rely on transit. However, this applies to only a small portion of the city; and the more transfers between lines that are required on your trip, the more the travel time varies.

Subways are somewhat more reliable than street cars or buses I think. When I used to take the subway, at least once a week there would be issues on the train. Either mechanical, electrical or other problems. Not necessarily on the train I'm on but on trains ahead of me which stalls every train after. At times the wait could vary between a few minutes, few minutes every station/in between stations, or even long durations at one station until they tell people to get off the train to take a shuttle bus which is nowhere in sight or I have no idea which one it is so I follow the crowd. There's so much crowd I sometimes need to wait for several buses before I get on and get crammed in.

Give me a break ...

I take the subway everyday and while yes there is the random week where there are a few delays it hardly happens if you're looking at it over a long period of time. Even still it usually only amounts to +5min to the total trip.

On to buses though:

Completely different matter. I think for the most part out of rush hour service in routes that have frequencies in the 7min+ range. The TTC is pretty reliable. Now in rush hour or more frequent routes it's a completely different issue. Bunching always always always occurs and I wonder what can be done to stop this. Some examples I've given a lot of: 36 (Finch West) + 60 (Steeles West). Very high ridership routes. Finch W in particular techinally has sub 3min service a good part of the day. But instead what we see is 3/4+ busses bunched together. With the first bunch full and the last empty. 60 west is usually pretty good outside of rush hour but inside again all I see I bunching.

I swear the solution for many of these routes is NOT more service (although it's probably needed on some) it's better rush hour (and out of rush hour for busier routes) spacing between the buses.

Well, I find I don't have much problems with Finch when I travel there. The wait time is not bad but I do notice bunching issues. But even if they bunch another bus will come a long not too far ahead. But from my house at Victoria Park and Lawrence. There's not a lot of bunching either but if I miss a bus, I would have to wait 10-20 minutes for the next one depending on the time of day. Travelling time is around 60 min on a good day. Then I moved to Scarborough town thinking it would save me time since I don't need to tolerate buses, but it ends up taking around the same time or longer (70 min on a good day. 2-2.5 hours on a really bad day). I either end up with problems at the LRT, the Danforth line, or the yonge line. Since I work downtown, I have to pass through all 3. If it's not one line having issues, it's another line. Hence I said there's problems at least once a week on the trains.
Now that I moved downtown, it only takes me half an hour to walk to work rather than 60-75 min on the train/bus.

I must mention, when I went to HK and Japan, I was purely shocked how fast and accurate their train system was. I never expected anything to be on time but my wait wasn't very long there. And I never experienced train problems. I stayed there from a few weeks in Tokyo to a few months in HK. Great system. After that experience, it just wasn't the same here.
After being pampered on a good transportation system, it's hard to tolerate old systems.

It was a joke. ITcomputer was the one who claimed Toronto's transit system pales in comparison to the rest of Canada, and that it was the fault of David Miller.

Do you actually think there will be a difference in newer stats? I posted these simply because I had them on my computer. You can check the Statcan site for more recent stats if you want.

Of course as a right-winger, you blame it on roads. How typical. Buses use the roads as well, and if you really think roads in Toronto are worse than in Montreal, Vancouver, Winnipeg, etc. think again. Toronto has much more highways than any other CMA.

It seems to me the harshest critics of the system in this thread are right-wingers like you who would never use the system anyway. So your opinion does not count.

Doady, you need to learn reading comprehension, I did not compare our system to others in Canada. I mentioned that nowhere in my post. I was talking about Europe.

Back