Toronto 422 Wellington West | 14.33m | 2s | Allied | ERA Architects

It would have been the tallest on Wellington St from Spadina to Bathurst I think
The 3 new buildings of the Well facing Wellington are 16 stories
The Thompson hotel and 55 Stewart are 14-15 stories max?
485 Wellington same 14-15 stories
Portland Commons doesn't face Wellington directly is 16 stories in the max height

I count in the rendering this one has 18 floors ON Top of the heritage house
It looks like a physical wall dividing Wellington

Two of which are taller than this project

This proposal is 58.95m tall.

The Well Building A is 61.52m tall
The Well Building B is 61.37m tall
The Well Building C is 56.4m tall

474 Wellington is proposed at 72.6m tall
462 Wellington is proposed at 63.005m tall
488 Wellington is proposed at 72.55m

Well karl referenced 4 buildings along the south side of Wellington.

Either it's "the tallest on Wellington St from Spadina to Bathurst" or it isn't?

Last edited:
In my opinion:
It is too tall for this neighbourhood
Looks at this West view of the building. It blocks everything around and cast the shadows everywhere else West
I think the integration of the heritage building is not well done, it looks as separate entities.

22505-78115.jpeg

Here's an example of a good one for integration, In my opinion :p
historic-buildings-on-john-street-toronto-that-were-moved-further-south-from-106-john-street-toronto.jpg

BSt18vMgOX5szgOctLL9rR91rL2ma--iymrAM8KtGs_02cAWMox3pTzbi39BROP8R0BVRlcHBbuF3wSjcDGYG0fyc1HR605tfr_MzCnMbTwBNeS6irlL9SbwXeY62lJTW-7L_g

brookfield-place-toronto.jpg
I worked in the left building back in the day when it was Joe Allens. Joe Allens was a true theater restaurant with one in NYC, London, maybe Paris. The restaurant moved to the Danforth (Allens) which of course meant Joe's was no longer. Still history lost. It was a messy and wonderful old building. Orso, the building next door has obviously moved around the lot. It was such a shame to see the building that was Joe Allens come down. These buildings have stories, we should cling to them as best we can.

That Brad Lamb piece was insane, and those arguments were reaching and reaching hard. He sounds a lot like an unhinged Trump-type. Clearly he more concerned with his business and bottom line, than human life. Sad.

Probably the most reasonable and logical response to all this mess? And anyone who doesn't at least see this point of view is just living in a fantasy land, filled with Gehry buildings.

What does that even mean? After reading this rambling mess of an email, clearly Brad is upset that his business is stagnant right now and he wants to put his financial interests ahead of the safety of citizens. This is a terrible response (but expected from Brad) to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Last edited:
That Brad Lamb piece was insane, and those arguments were reaching and reaching hard. He sounds a lot like an unhinged Trump-type. Clearly he more concerned with his business and bottom line, than human life. Sad.
I did note it wondering off into the self-inoculation la-la land a few times. /le sigh

That Canadians should consider the health and social impacts of an economic depression when weighing the costs/benefits of a broad forced shutdown? Yeah, outlandish stuff.

If you take an issue an issue of Brad's view of the evidence against a prolonged shutdown, then engage with that. But the question he addresses is obviously important.

Back