News   Aug 30, 2024
 2.4K     0 
News   Aug 30, 2024
 610     0 

Day trips from Toronto

CDL.TO

Member Bio
Reaction score
What are everyone's favourite destinations when they have a day off and want to get out of the city?

Car or no car?

Towns? Recreational destinations? Crazy and wild times?

Trips and tricks? How about places off the beaten path?

Inquiring minds need to know!
`

Last edited:
Cottage in Haliburton, 2h by car.

Niagara wine country, 1.25h by car.

NYC, 7.5h by car (we left at 2:30am and were in Midtown at 10:30am)

Vaughan (just kidding, I would never go there)

If you'd like to see fall colours I'd recommend the Red Lion Inn in Stockbridge. It's in the Berkshires region of western Mass. so only about a 4 hour drive. Lots to see in the area too with museums, historic houses and little white-framed New Englandy villages etc.

Also, go to Stratford and see some plays (if tickets to anything are still available) and enjoy a meal in a nice local restaurant. Drive time: 3 hours.

I've done the Montreal and area day trip a few times. 00.30 overnite motorcoach to Montreal and evening train home.

If you'd like to see fall colours I'd recommend the Red Lion Inn in Stockbridge. It's in the Berkshires region of western Mass. so only about a 4 hour drive. Lots to see in the area too with museums, historic houses and little white-framed New Englandy villages etc.

Something strikes me as a little overwrought about compressing a jaunt to the Berkshires into a day trip--especially when you got all the fall colours you need closer at hand and with no passport necessary.

If the Berkshires is an option, make it overnight, at the very least.

How's about a circuit of Lake Simcoe?

See Georgina's mish-mash of white trash and mansion-cottages, explore Lagoon City, lose some money at Rama, visit Leacock's Orillia, see if there's anything in Barrie besides Bayfield Street, explore fresh sprawl in Innisfil and Bradford, and then end your day with a reckless jaunt down Canal Road in the dark.

edit - or just stick to the Creemore/Wasaga/Collingwood trifecta...but do do Canal Road!

Last edited:
Um go up the Bruce Peninsula and just sit at a beach facing Lake Huron.

The water is crystal clear and the air is fresh...

Its a relaxing trip.

Guelph/Elmira/Floradale/Yatton/Linwood/Millbank/Paradise Lake/=starts in a funky college town, a tour through horse and buggy country (back roads especially in Waterloo County are spectacular) and ends just 10 minutes from Waterloo in Waterloo's version of Caledon meets cottage country. 2 hours to get to Millbank from downtown Toronto--must buys in Millbank include the best farmer's sausage on earth from Zehr's Country Market, donuts from Anna Mae's, Wellesley Applebutter and cheese from Millbank Cheese; Floradale--stop in the mennonite store for pies, tea rings and soak in the old fashioned textiles, mennonite books etc and possibly the quietest park in Ontario next to a gigantric new Mennonite church; Yatton--a tiny hamlet with beautiful surrounding scenery--if you're into old barns, horses etc; Linwood--Waterloo sprawl meets Mennonite community; Elmira--stop at the corner of Church St and Main at Kitchen Kuttings for the best (all beef) summer sausage you'll ever eat! Then buy a (now trendy) Amish/Mennonite-style straw hat at Brown's; Guelph: lotsa hot girls to flirt with at the many dozens of cafes littering the downtown.

Oodles of bits of the Bruce Trail are an easy drive from TO. Especially scenic bits can be found... uh, everywhere along the trail. Niagara. Hamilton. Halton. Peel. Dufferin. Simcoe. Grey...

As far as Bruce County? Make it an overnight!

Back